What are y'all's opinions on these? Specifically the Boss AC-3. I've hurt my back, and playing acoustic for any length of time is rather painful. However, it is easier to play my Strat, thanks to the thin body and design. I have been playing acoustic guitar at church, but after tonight, there's no way. my arm was swollen up and basically unusable after only really 3 songs during rehearsal tonight.

My theory is that reaching around the acoustic body is putting strain on the damaged portion of my back. Two vertebrae are kinked over at an angle to each other, making a sideways 'V', right between my shoulder blades. My right arm stays numb constantly because of it, in addition to the constant back pain, and using my right arm extensively, or walking around, or sitting too long, or laying down, causes it to swell and burn. Playing my Strat doesn't seem to have as bad an effect, to the point that I can play 4-5 songs before it starts to hurt bad enough to stop.

A sane person may just stop playing until the doctors get off their useless butts and do something, but I don't want to give up my guitar playing.

I have an extra amp, a small Beringer, that I can use possibly, or there may be an amp up there I can borrow. I asked the music minister if he thought it had the power to be heard in the mix. So it's just a matter of whether these pedals actually do a decent enough job. It doesn't have to give a great tone; it'll be mixed with 2-3 other guitars, plus horns, piano, keys, and strings. Just good enough. Besides, it almost can't be worse than the tone coming out of the variax guitar one guy brings up there most of the time.
have you considered ovation?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I had Ovations. Beyond my other issues with them, the bodies are still about the same side as my Seagull, just rounder, with a far worse tone. Not to mention getting a new guitar with a cracked headstock and a warranty not worth the paper it was printed on.
Quote by azrael4h
I had Ovations. Beyond my other issues with them, the bodies are still about the same side as my Seagull, just rounder, with a far worse tone. Not to mention getting a new guitar with a cracked headstock and a warranty not worth the paper it was printed on.

i don't like ovations personally. thought it was worth mentioning. good luck
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by azrael4h
Besides, it almost can't be worse than the tone coming out of the variax guitar one guy brings up there most of the time.

Hey, that sounds like ME. I have a Variax Acoustic 700, and it looks like a smallish thin-bodied acoustic (you'd have no problems getting around it). But it's actually a solid mahogany bodied guitar with piezos and a lot of modeling built in. And it goes to church. It sounds very good indeed, but it goes directly into the board. They sound terrible through a standard guitar amp. You can modify the "distance of the guitar to the mike" with one of the controls and that's just golden.

The real point here is that it's a small-thin bodied guitar. If you're playing a dread, you're very likely straining your back. At the very least, try one of those GS-style Taylors; it's still a big guitar, but the waist is smaller and that makes a big difference in the reach. Another option -- try out a Taylor T5. It's a relatively thin guitar (like a 335, almost), and it's a "hybrid," but it really does "acoustic" well.

Something else that's happening a little now that will probably gain a lot of momentum is the use of IRs in modelers like the Helix, Axe, Kemper. Thing is, you can build an IR of your Taylor, play something else, and have it SOUND like your Taylor. Or like someone else's Taylor that you can't afford . Check this from Pete Thorn, and skip ahead to about 4:38:

Last edited by dspellman at Jul 7, 2016,
While I appreciate the suggestions, the fact is that I don't want to dip that far into my reserves. Especially since my guitar budget just took a hit on a Bugera last weekend. The joys of fixed income. There's a far cry from a $130 pedal (or less if I can find one used) to a Taylor T5 or even a GS Mini. That's why I was asking if anyone has used an AC-3 or similar pedal before when gigging.

Push come to shove, I am determined to keep playing so I'll just play electric and let the variax guy handle "acoustic" sounds. Loosely speaking. Though to be fair, he's using a solid body variax, and running it through some sort of terrible acoustic amp they have laying around up there. So maybe a guitar like yours is less terrible sounding.
I have the GT-10 which has that sim setting, it is ok, no cigar. I guess it sounds kinda like acoustic.
I had a Godin acoustic nylon string that was very narrow and sounded great though and amp or by itself but it wasn't super loud.
I think maybe installing piezo pickup will be better.
I also get great acoustic like chiming sounds with Joe Barden pickups, maybe put on in neck?
Well, for those who might search this thread out with a similar question. I ended up buying a Boss AC-2, as it was the only one available. It did work out fairly well; the tone was a bit trebely. You're definitely not getting even a Masterbilt-quality tone out of it. But, behind three other guitars and the orchestra, it worked out well enough, with the weak point being the expected 15w Beringer. It simply wasn't powerful enough even wide open to cut through all the way through the room (holds about 500 people for 2nd service normally). The bonus was I got to switch it off and rock out during one song, since we had a regular acoustic guitar player there.

The other bad part is that I bought another guitar. Thus blowing my budget all to hell. I blame G&L.