Page 1 of 6
The New Telecaster Alliance!

What was wrong with the old thread? Well, nothing. Except that the main posts didn't have badass Telecaster history, information, and links to great different areas to mod, built and buy! We'll start with brief history of our beloved T-body.

Via Tonereport: http://tonereport.com/blogs/lifestyle/an-abridged-history-of-the-fender-telecaster/page/two

Many guitars have reached iconic status, but there is one that started it all—the Fender Telecaster. As the world’s first commercially produced solid-body electric guitar, the Tele, as it is affectionately known, has graced stages around the world since 1950. It has found its way into the hands of country players seeking twang and hard rockers that want a biting sound to cut through the mix. It’s been used on countless records, seen countless bar brawls, and has been seen on thousands of television broadcasts. If it falls down the stairs, it’s still ready to rock that night. While there have been various incarnations of the instrument, it has never strayed too far from the simple formula of a couple pieces of wood, some basic hardware, and simple electronics. Let’s pay tribute to Leo’s original design by taking a look at the Tele throughout the years.

Esquire

Eschewing the typical practice of using a glued-in, set-neck joint, Leo Fender opted to screw a neck made from a single piece of maple—there was no rosewood or ebony fretboard like Gibson models—to a body with four screws. This allowed the neck to be removed completely for any necessary service and also offered durability. Sounds were delivered courtesy of a single pickup in the bridge position. In this early stage, the neck did not have a truss rod, which proved troublesome down the road. Later versions had two pickups. Always tinkering, Leo was not satisfied and came up with the next incarnation of the instrument.

Broadcaster

Essentially a two-pickup Esquire, the Broadcaster now featured an adjustable truss rod. However, Gretsch was not fond of Fender’s new axe, due to the fact that they manufactured a drum kit under the name Broadkaster. Fender agreed to remove the Broadcaster name from the headstock. Ironically, Gretsch is now part of the Fender family of brands.

Nocaster

During this fabled time in Telecaster production, the instrument was nameless, and models with no name on the headstock are extremely rare and were produced for less than a year. It’s an interesting part of Fender lore, and if you find one of these in your grandma’s attic or basement, cling to it with all your might. Custom Shop Nocaster reissues are very popular among players today due to their vintage styling and attempt to recreate a unique time in the instrument’s history.

Telecaster

In the early ‘50s, a wild new invention called the television was taking America by storm. Like any good ad man, Fender’s marketing chief Don Randall knew which way the wind was blowing and merged television with “-caster” to give us what we now know as the Telecaster. Use that tidbit of information the next time your friends criticize you for creating a new portmanteau. By now, the Telecaster had a face and a name. Keeping the two-pickup configuration, the Tele initially had limited tonal options; the neck pickup had rolled the tone off considerably, offering a bassy sound designed to function similar to a bass. Later on, the circuit was modified to give a clearer signal and offer greater functionality. Some 1952 Telecaster reissues came with the vintage circuit neck pickup, while many today come with the more modern wiring that has become the standard.

tbc
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jul 7, 2016,
Nice, thanks. I didn't even know there was a '50's wiring that was different from the original.

I actually don't have a tele (though my Variax models a couple of them), and I was thinking of picking up a basic BSB with a black pickguard. I *do* however want the flipped control setup. I've played several teles with that and I think I like it better.
Good ol' Bill Kirchen Mod! Forgot to put that in the 2nd post. I'll edit it now.

EDIT:

For good measure.

Last edited by JustRooster at Jul 7, 2016,
Quote by JustRooster

TBC When Danny posts a million links I'll edit in.

You're probably not far off. Damn near every electric guitar maker not focused on the metal market or not named Gibson, Epiphone, Gretsch, Ibanez has made some kind of Tele-clone.

I won't go exhaustive, but:

Carvin
http://www.kieselguitars.com/

Fret-King
http://fret-king.com

Dean Zelinsky Private Label (Note: the Bill Kirchen mod is standard on these.)
https://deanzelinsky.com/

Burny
http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/burny_guitar/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 7, 2016,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 7, 2016,
Great write up I learned a few things today!

It was born at the juction of form and fuction...

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 7, 2016,
Nice job on the OP and info dudes. Thatll come in handy for sure

Also will post tele pr0n later
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i love the 50's wiring. its nice so you can lay down a faux bass tone when you are using a looper. even though it is the same tuning, it just thickens things up a bit.

my favorite tele at the minute is my 1997 USA plus series two. its a three pickup model and is loaded with lace sensors.

here is a trio of teles, with a semi-

*warning tele pron*

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Great new thread!
Here's a brand spanking new one i got today -

Last edited by EyeballPaul at Jul 12, 2016,
PS The colour is 'Bergundy Mist' i really like it.It's sparkly up close but still understated.
Fender does great subliminal colors. Burgundy Mist Metallic is my favorite.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jul 12, 2016,
Quote by JustRooster
Fender does great subliminal colors. Burgundy Mist Metallic is my favorite.

What kind of liminal is it subbing, exactly?

And by the way, it wasn't Fender doing those colors. It was the local car factories that had extra left over. Wanna know where Burgundy Mist Metallic comes in?
Find a '59 Olds...

I've had mine for nearly a year and I don't think I've posted photos yet - I promise I'll get on that as soon as I have a decent camera!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I recently got my first Telecaster. No idea why I took so long to get a Tele, it's an awesome (type of) guitar.

Obligatory picture:
Quote by I K0nijn I

I saw that when you posted your ngd.That thing is beautiful.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Jul 13, 2016,

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 16, 2016,
hmmm.... and I thought tele's were just for guys not cool enough to play a strat (Keith Richards excepted)
Quote by monwobobbo
hmmm.... and I thought tele's were just for guys not cool enough to play a strat (Keith Richards excepted)
You mean they're not? That's why I got mine
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
You mean they're not? That's why I got mine

live and learn

haven't played a tele yet that really spoke to me. still waiting to channel my inner Roy Buchanan I guess
well. this is mine.
2014 standard Mex. only thing ive done is put a white pearloid Pickguard on it.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by monwobobbo
No!Robben Ford is cool and he has played Strats
Quote by EyeballPaul
No!Robben Ford is cool and he has played Strats

I'm a big fan of Robben but much prefer his sound when he was playing Fender Esprits.

hope everyone knows that I was just bustin balls and have nothing against tele's . I'm a strat guy what can I say.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Very nice!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
* Bell & Blade...good name for a band.
Nope, cause various accents would pronounce it Bellend Blade.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Very nice!

Nope, cause various accents would pronounce it Bellend Blade.

Considering band names like "Whitesnake" and "Dill Doe and the Four Skins", I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Whenever the Pit gets too lame, I always take refuge in my collection of stickies.

Patrons of the Strat / Tele / G&L / Offset threads, you are truly gentlemen.
it's well documented that the George Fullerton visited all the car dealer for color inspirations back in the day , George had the eye for beauty no doubt
here's a G&L Broadcaster with a couple flake ASAT's

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Anyone here help this poor soul?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1706123

His list looks good, and I can't add to it at the moment.
I love that guy! Cheers

Commentary and/or experience relating to any of the stuff I've already got listed is as useful as further suggestions. Probably more so, even.

Quote by Fumble fingers
it's well documented that the George Fullerton visited all the car dealer for color inspirations back in the day , George had the eye for beauty no doubt
here's a G&L Broadcaster with a couple flake ASAT's
Nice! I've never seen a car looking like that, though
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 24, 2016,
Keep looking-they're out there.

...and beyond...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 24, 2016,
not to mention every Dune Buggy made in the 60's through 70's
Buying a second Tele is proving to be an absolute rollercoaster. A bloke about half an hour away with a gorgeous CAR one that I might be able to score for £600, but then one just popped up on Gumtree and it's got a Bigsby - but it's in ice blue which isn't my favourite finish. Fun times
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Not my Telecaster but I nabbed a shot of my buddy's 80-something telecaster when we were jamming up at my cottage. That tele probably has one of the best neck pickups I have heard in person. The thing rips. It's also beat to shit (as telecasters tend to be after a few decades)

I would've grabbed a shot with my telecaster as well but unfortunately I only brought up one axe and it was a Lester.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's also beat to shit (as telecasters tend to be after a few decades)
As far as I'm concerned, you're wasting your guitar if it looks good as new after a few years

Lovely Tele. Just a silly personal preference but I absolutely despise how the modern ones look with the Strat saddles - that '80s six saddle setup is much easier on the eyes for me.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22