I've always loved the Latin style of Music,

living in the UK the only exposure I get to it is the odd flamenco style guitar on holiday or the usual Santana offering.

Being a Singer / Songwriter myself, I've always wanted to explore this avenue further, as, to be honest, I'm a bit fed up with the usual folky/bluesy/rocky.

So, to all my fellow musos from over the pond, where do I start?
Hey I'm in the UK and I've had plenty of exposure to Latin music! (Santana are American, how did you get exposure to them? Recordings, yes? )

It might help to think about (and give examples of?) what you mean by "Latin". Flamenco is Spanish (as I guess you know , but with a strong Moroccan (Arabic) influence. "Latin" in music usually means Cuban or Brazilian. That's Spanish or Portuguese, linguistically at least, but with strong African input (West and Central Africa originally via the slaves). There's also Mexican and other Central American or Caribbean music - again often sharing the Spanish language, but various other musical influences.)

Santana, for example, is largely Cuban in influence.

As you're a singer-songwriter, I'd recommend Brazilian composer Tom Jobim, specifically Joao Gilberto's solo guitar/vocal versions of Jobim tunes. That's mainly bossa nova, some samba content. Very laid back, in comparison to the more fiery Cuban grooves, but much more interesting chord sequences.
There is an album everyone should listen to entitled Friday Night In San Francisco.

Gonzalo Rubalcaba is recommended listening as well.

For rhythmic study you should look into rhythmic patterns, specifically the clave and reverse clave.
Last edited by mdc at Jul 7, 2016,
1) Rodriguo y Gabriela - they are great - not traditional, but a great duo.
2) Jesse Cook - some of his albums have a quite a bit of cheese, but he's excellent - if you have a chance to see his live show do not miss it - amazing band.
3) Paco delucia - he's the reference point and arguably the most amazing guitarist in history from a speed/technical standpoint - he plays in the album recommended above "Friday Night In San Francisco" along with Al Diemola and John McLaughlin.
4) Buena Vista Social Club - amazing band from Cuba
5) Gypsy Kings
Last edited by reverb66 at Jul 20, 2016,
As someone mentioned Paco DeLucia is a Flamenco legend. The guy uses enough tremolo and sweeps to put Yngwie Malmsteen to shame while playing fingerstyle. He also tremolos chords (a similar technique is found in Black Metal) and plays tasty fills. He's very showy but Flamenco almost calls for it (in fact quite a few of Paco's aforementioned techniques are considered staples of the genre).

Here's just a little example of Paco's music.

Here's a showier example.

In my opinion, Flamenco combines Latin music with Classical complexity. If you're into that kinda thing, it's worth checking out and it's beautiful sounding too. Honestly it would take years of difficult practice and loads of dedication to play it somewhat decently.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Last edited by RonaldPoe at Jul 28, 2016,
There's a huge variety of music out of South America, Brazil in particular. Gilberto is the master, I'd say....Many of his songs are standards and his guitar technique was very approachable.
If you're looking for the more fiery Flamenco-influenced stuff then indeed Paco De Lucia and a whole stable of similar artists is where to invest listening time.

You are looking at Classical guitar technique for the most part, with the addition of the Flamenco strums and "rasquedos" and such.

Our local community radio station, KDHX-FM, has a fine show called "Radio Rio":

http://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Rio-p110070/

Which covers the broad spectrum of Latin music.... And they webcast so you should be able to get it on your computer.
Quote by RonaldPoe
As someone mentioned Paco DeLucia is a Flamenco legend.
Sorry about this, but I really can't resist posting my favourite Paco video - especially as I haven't seen it for a while...