I am currently in the process of designing and making a guitar stand for an A-Level project, and the main issue I have come across is what material to use where the stand touches the guitar, particularly around the neck.

I am looking for the material to be soft and padded as well as being safe for use with all finishes, including nitrocellulose

Any ideas?
some kind of dense polyurethane foam wrapping would probably be suitable and if for some reason that is reactive/abrasive to the finish a layer of microfiber upholstery would probably be pretty posh if done up well.
a tasteful looking cloth.

i have a bunch of nitro'd gibsons and my hangers weren't nitro safe, so i wrapped the yolk with fabric. just wrap it around a few times and on an area that doesn't touch the neck, use a TINY bit of white elmers glue to get the fabric to stay wrapped.

cqwood223foam can eat nitro, so be careful of that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A lot of stands also use soft rubber tubing around the metal parts that would touch the guitar. I don't know if that is nitro safe or not, but it might be worth a try as well.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Nolasludge
A lot of stands also use soft rubber tubing around the metal parts that would touch the guitar. I don't know if that is nitro safe or not, but it might be worth a try as well.

Some are nitro safe and some aren't. I had a friend put his LP std on a hazardous stand for a while. it was not pretty, it was terrible. he was devastated. he ended up selling it because it bothered him. I wish I had the money at the time or i would have bought it, i can deal with a damaged finish. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Some are nitro safe and some aren't. I had a friend put his LP std on a hazardous stand for a while. it was not pretty, it was terrible. he was devastated. he ended up selling it because it bothered him. I wish I had the money at the time or i would have bought it, i can deal with a damaged finish. lol.
That sucks. It took me a little while to accept the little blemish on my Les Paul. I learned the hard way that the plastic buckle on Dimarzio straps dig into the finish on Les Pauls. Thankfully, blemishes give LPs character, haha.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
i'm guessing the old cotton handkerchief won't cut it for a-level?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm going to take a closer look at the hangers in GC next time I go in. I've seen LP's sit in them for months (years?) without any noticeable damage.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by diabolical
Some stands are not safe, had few mark my non painted necks.
Maybe corduroy or chamois would be safe?
Could probably work in with styling pretty well. Though chamois might be a little more difficult to work with for someone new to it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'