With my main three guitars that I use I may be slightly obsessive about cleaning them. Is it possible to over clean a guitar? Usually I start seeing visible dirt on the fretboard after at least a couple weeks and at that point I will loosen the strings and clean the fretboard. As far as polishing I do that a couple times a week. When I was starting out I would just clean everything every time I changed strings but...now I have guitars I actually care about.
i can't remember the last time i polished a guitar. fretboards get cleaned probably twice a year, and i polish the frets once a year. my guitars are fine... lol. having said that though i do have a lot of guitars. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I clean my guitars every time I change my strings. I dont think there is anything wrong with cleaning them often. Just dont overuse fretboard conditioning oils because they dont need to be applied often at all.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It is possible to overclean anything. I'm getting ready to replace a tub because I scrubbed the porcelain off- not an easy thing to do- and the refinish didn't take.

On general principle: Don't do it too often. Don't use harsh cleaners or abrasive products (including cloths). Don't rub too hard.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I clean my guitars every time I change my strings. I dont think there is anything wrong with cleaning them often. Just dont overuse fretboard conditioning oils because they dont need to be applied often at all.

So would you recommend just wiping the dirt away with a dry cloth? Usually I just clean the dirt away with fretboard oil but sometimes I worry about that as you said.
Quote by ryane24
So would you recommend just wiping the dirt away with a dry cloth? Usually I just clean the dirt away with fretboard oil but sometimes I worry about that as you said.

What kind of fretboard is it?

Generally I just use a credit card and a bit of elbow grease. If there is something particularly tough I'll use a bit of naphtha and a rag. I agree with Danny though you don't want to be using very abrasive stuff all the time nor do you want to go too overboard.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I clean my guitars when i change strings, but I keep a rag with the guitar to wipe off sweat and grime on the body/neck. I have a fresh rag (usually microfiber) to clean the strings, top and bottom, when I'm done playing. I usually wax the guitar bodies (plain old carnauba wax will do) once in a while.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
What kind of fretboard is it?

One is ebony, the others are rosewood.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
On general principle: Don't do it too often. Don't use harsh cleaners or abrasive products (including cloths). Don't rub too hard.

We're talking about cleaning guitars here right? - Couldn't resist!!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Jul 7, 2016,
For that? Hell, I use steel wool for the feels. (My hentai name is Dick Steelu.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 7, 2016,