Hi -

I'm a relative newbie overall, and a complete newbie to amplifiers and pedals, trying to get as close as I can to the sound for Jack White / The White Stripes "Fell in love with a girl." I've currently got a Fender Mustang 1 and a Big Muff pedal. Can anyone help me out with settings, tips, etc?

Here's one question I have -

The Mustang has FUSE software that allows you to download presets. And some people have posted Jack White presets. But, that's just for the amp alone, and since I have the Big Muff (which I know he uses) I'm not sure if by using the Fuse presets I'll be doubling down on the sound, so to speak?

Thanks ahead of time for your help! And if I'm posting this in the wrong place, just let me know where I should be posting....
While I'm not familiar with the Fender Mustang 1, I'd say for a 'Fell In Love With A Girl' tone you want some kind of preset that models a Fender Blues Junior (or any other good Fender tube amp model). Crank the gain up a bit, if your guitar has humbuckers that will help too. For this song I don't think he uses the Big Muff, so you don't need to use that.

Just my two cents on it!
Really, he doesn't use the Big Muff for the song? What makes you say that? I mean, that simplifies it, but definitely curious since I thought that was his go to distortion for all the early stuff.

Quote by nacnudnai
While I'm not familiar with the Fender Mustang 1, I'd say for a 'Fell In Love With A Girl' tone you want some kind of preset that models a Fender Blues Junior (or any other good Fender tube amp model). Crank the gain up a bit, if your guitar has humbuckers that will help too. For this song I don't think he uses the Big Muff, so you don't need to use that.

Just my two cents on it!
Jack White's sound is really not all that complicated - don't forget it's the White Stripes, it's intended to be simplistic (and this is one of those songs). All you want is a good overdriven tone that's has a good amount of mids in and enough just enough bass to level it out. So maybe like 10/11 oclock on bass, mids at 2/3, and highs at 12? Gain probably at something like 2-4?

You won't be using the big muff for this tone, the muff is a fuzz not an overdrive. If you're struggling to get the tone you can use the big muff as a slight boost just pull back on the fuzziness of it. Fuzz pedals are a bitch to get good tones out off, the big muff notoriously so.

His early distortion days will be whatever Jack found, if anything it's like a tubes screamer or just some good blues driver. There's a big different between distortion and overdrive, a lot of Jack's primary tones are overdrive - very rarely does he use real distortion (even then that's up for debate, he's likely just driving the amp to the point of distortion). A good overdrive pedal that's cheap is the Blackstar LT-1, you'll struggle to find a better overdrive even close to that price bracket. Also:

You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
timgreenberg1 Definitely no big muff on that song. Anthony1991 has given a really good answer tbf and if you follow what he says you should get close to the sound. As he says, the big muff is a fuzz, not an overdrive.

As you mention you're a newbie to amps and pedals I understand your confusion. In terms of distorted sounds in my opinion there are 3 key variants: Overdrive; Distortion and; Fuzz. They are all a different sound. Learn the difference between these 3 and you'll be able to replicate tones on your favourite songs in no time at all. There is a shed load of info out there. Listen to different pedals on Youtube to hear the differences, and better yet buy or loan a few types so you can see how they respond to your playing.
Interesting! Ok thanks. (BTW, this is a one-off kind of deal - I just need to play this one song, as a thing for an event, so trying out different pedals is a bit beyond this project). But it sounds like I've got what I need with just the amp, and playing around with it to get roughly the sound I need...
Quote by timgreenberg1
Interesting! Ok thanks. (BTW, this is a one-off kind of deal - I just need to play this one song, as a thing for an event, so trying out different pedals is a bit beyond this project). But it sounds like I've got what I need with just the amp, and playing around with it to get roughly the sound I need...

Yeah, the amp should have what it takes to get you there. To be honest don't focus on getting the EXACT tone... because you just never will. Jack White in particular is a mother in the studio in regards to what tricks/equipment he uses. Everything impacts tone. He's probably using vintage microphones you can't get anymore, and he's probably using a steam powered compressor as well or something mad like that - you just don't know with Jack.

Near enough is good enough, and done is better than perfect.

(Also no one would even be remotely aware even if you did get it bang on, you'll have amp tone and then room tone - two totally different things)
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.