Page 1 of 2
so i am looking for an overdrive to use along with my boss ns-2 and Randall rd20h. I play high gain metal such as lamb of god, keith merrow, pantera, slipknot and machine head. I am considering something like a tube screamer mini, maxon od808 or an mxr gt-od, anyone got any suggestions?
Honestly, any overdrive you've listed would be fine. There are a multitude of options out there with varying features. I like my Bad Monkey and my Ibanez TS-7. Nothing fancy, but they get the job done. Just depends on how much you want to spend and if there are any bells and whistles you want in addition to the basic tubescreamer circuit.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
The only thing im kinda worried about is the fact that peoplen say the tubescreamers are quite vintage sounding right? wheres i am looking for a more modern sound
Yeah, tubescreamers are vintage sounding... if you run one into the clean channel of an amplifier.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
ThunderPunk Oh ok haha, thanks a bunch dude, gonna look about a bit more but probably gonna go for that then
Quote by diabolical
Look at Budda Zenman as it has tons of options, including tubescreamer mode.

I was going to suggest this as well. I have one with my Roadster. It's a clean boost and a tube screamer in one case. For running the tubescreamer as a boost you want the typical Drive 0 Level 8-10 Tone to taste setup. There is a Vintage and Modern switch for different voicings. Check it out.

I end up using the boost side way more as it doesn't alter the eq, just hits the amp harder.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
yeah as TP said, any you listed should work.

you could also consider the boss sd1, similar idea but slightly different sound- a bit less smooth. You may well prefer it.

if you don't want the mid-boost thing at all you could consider something more transparent, but i'd probably try the ts/sd1 thing first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Green Rhino. So noticeable, great sustain. Curve knob is big for more mix cutting with the highs.

I'd say Duncan 805 too since the EQ is more flexible but the boost from the level isn't as impactful.

Main thing in common is something with more than 3 knobs (gain tone level).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 7, 2016,
Yea iv been looking a lot around and apparently the Fulltone OCD is amazing? it is a bit more expensive than the pedals i had listed previously. And the only downside to the buddha od is that they dont seem to sell it in the uk. struggling to find it anywhere
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah as TP said, any you listed should work.

you could also consider the boss sd1, similar idea but slightly different sound- a bit less smooth. You may well prefer it.

if you don't want the mid-boost thing at all you could consider something more transparent, but i'd probably try the ts/sd1 thing first.
Another option if the TS likes the SD-1 is the MXR Wylde Overdrive. It is based on the SD-1 but without all the high end the SD-1 tends to have. I've used it with great success both with solid state amps and tube amps. Brand new, they are more expensive than the SD-1, but they've been out so long, there are plenty of used ones for cheap. I got mine at a pawn shop that my wife used to work at for $30.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by oskos2001
Yea iv been looking a lot around and apparently the Fulltone OCD is amazing? it is a bit more expensive than the pedals i had listed previously. And the only downside to the buddha od is that they dont seem to sell it in the uk. struggling to find it anywhere

i haven't tried the "real thing" but i've tried cheaper clones and I don't think it's what you want as a boost for a high gain amp. it's a better standalone od for a clean channel i think.
Quote by Nolasludge
Another option if the TS likes the SD-1 is the MXR Wylde Overdrive. It is based on the SD-1 but without all the high end the SD-1 tends to have. I've used it with great success both with solid state amps and tube amps. Brand new, they are more expensive than the SD-1, but they've been out so long, there are plenty of used ones for cheap. I got mine at a pawn shop that my wife used to work at for $30.

yeah i haven't tried it but i've heard it's sd1-based. isn't the super badass od also a glorified sd1? haven't tried it either and the cheap daphon overdrive is an sd1 clone, it's also worth considering if you can find it cheap enough- if mine's anything to go by, it doesn't have the bypass bleed that sd1s can sometimes have too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Soon, probably this weekend il have to go down to my local music shop and try all these out. Only problem is that they dont stock the amp i have so i would have to find something as close as possible to it. And thanks diabolical for the links. the sd-1 has kind of intruiged me too, it tough though. So many choices
Last edited by oskos2001 at Jul 7, 2016,
^ yeah that's the big problem. i'd say any pedal you really need to try with your amp to be sure of how it's going to sound, but especially if you're using it as a boost since the amp's doing most of the work.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wish you could rent out pedals haha, because i dont feel like lugging a 15kg valve head about town haha
I have always been inclined to the ProTone Overdrives, the ones like Misha from periphery or Keith merrow use. but those are insanely expensive, starting from $169-$399
How about the budget version then? Get a Joyo Vintage Overdrive or the Harley Benton version for like $30 and see if you like it. I have one and frankly it sounds way better than my Bad Monkey ever did and without the tone suck. . . .

It's a Maxon OD808 clone. . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
The harley Benton vintage? Or maybe the Harley Benton ultimate drive?, which would be better in my case?
I thought the joyo/harley benton pedals were cheap crappy plastic chinese fakes for like $30? and would they do just as well in a high gain situation?
Last edited by oskos2001 at Jul 7, 2016,
Quote by oskos2001
I thought the joyo/harley benton pedals were cheap crappy plastic chinese fakes for like $30? and would they do just as well in a high gain situation?

The joyo hb pedals are metal construction, look a lot like some of the boutique pedals out there with the funky art-graphics on them. The cheap crappy plastic pedals you are thinking of are likely the Behringer pedals.

I have several joyo pedals. I like them.
OP what is your budget?

And don't worry about what drives are vintage. The way you'll be using it to get both boost and clarity won't even change your amps signature color that much. You won't sound vintage when sticking a tube screamer in front of a dirty Randall. A tube screamer will sound vintage if you use it on a clean channel for blues and classic rock tones, not when boosting a dirty amp with the pedal level high and gain low.

You could always buy a pedal and take it home for a bit to take advantage of a stores return policy. Most are 20-30 days.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 7, 2016,
I'm not sure where you're located/what your local stores return policies are like, but here at L&M you can buy something and return it and get your money back within a month if its unharmed; so sometimes when I cant decided I what I want, I'll narrow it down to a couple options, buy them, and bring back the ones that don't make the cut, unharmed . Its a good way for me to try them with all my amps.

That being said, I have a bad monkey, ZW-44, and Soul Food on hand. The BM and ZW-44 are very similar, but I find the ZW-44 works better with high gain tones. I like the soul food for my Orange. Really there's lots of options that will work. You've just got to figure out which flavor suits you best, which may mean some trial and error
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Sort of as an odd note instead of another overdrive to kick it in to high gear use an EQ pedal to boost the level and have more control over our tone going in. The Joyo ultimate overdrive is very good. (I have one) I saw a few reviews of the TC electronic Dark Matter it has a great range of tones.
I've found that most ODs kill the low end of an already distorted amp. Even if the OD has a tone knob it tends to either make the low end sound like mud or synthetic. The best pedal I've found is a Timmy clone (Danelectro CTO-1 pedal). One that I might look into is the Boss OD-1X.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Last edited by 8Len8 at Jul 7, 2016,
Closest stores to me are Andertons, Gak, and guitar guitar. Looks like il just have to look into their returns policy then. But after looking at some YouTube reviews of the Harley benton vintage OD vs the much much more expensive maxon od808, and To be honest it didn't do too bad either. I will probably end up getting that and seeing if I like it as it is only £25 (I am in the uk btw). And If I do dislike it I will go and experiment with all the others haha
And on the note of the ultimate drive, I thought that's more of a standalone distortion/overdrive rather than to boost the high gain?, seeing as it has much more.gain on tap than the vintage OD or a ts
Joyo Vintage OD is a good start, I have used it for boosting in the past with good results, but what I am currently liking as a boost is a Caline Pure Sky - which I believe is a timmy clone, its very cheap as well, but I think it sounds very nice as an overdrive and also works great as a boost, it has separate treble and bass knobs which are really helpful as a boost to help match it to your amp for the best sounding combination.
Yea il look into it. I think il end up getting the joyo vintage Od but what's the difference between that and the ultimate drive?
Quote by oskos2001
Yea il look into it. I think il end up getting the joyo vintage Od but what's the difference between that and the ultimate drive?

Assuming you just want a clean boost, not sure there will be a huge difference. I'm using a mini tubescreamer for my 5150 III, works great.

The one nice thing about the yojo pedals, they are way cheaper to buy. You could buy both the vintage and ultimate drive for less than the cost of my mini!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV yea I was going to get the mini ts but il either get the joyo or something more expensive like a maxon od808 or mxr gt-od
Just want to try then out first and see how much difference there will be in between them
Quote by oskos2001
Soon, probably this weekend il have to go down to my local music shop and try all these out. Only problem is that they dont stock the amp i have so i would have to find something as close as possible to it. And thanks diabolical for the links. the sd-1 has kind of intruiged me too, it tough though. So many choices

You're welcome!

BTW - I have all flavors of overdrive but for your situation you need something that is less buzzy. The reason I recommend the Zenman is the fact that it has so many options. If you want just clean boost - you got it. If you want a little lift - you got it. If you want the TS scoop - you got it. If you want all of it on full - you got it. If you want overdrive and a solo boost in one - you got that too. You just can't go wrong with it

You could also possibly play around with a clean boost and see what it'd do. I think MXR made a pedal Micro Amp Plus or an eq pedal.

I am also a huge fan of the Voodoolabs Sparkle Drive which has a clean boost that you can introduce parallel to the overdrive.
The Mooer Green Mile is good. It's supposedly a Tube Screamer clone. Not sure how close it comes, but I use it with a Marshall DSL5 and it does a good job - and it's cheap!
Quote by oskos2001
The harley Benton vintage? Or maybe the Harley Benton ultimate drive?, which would be better in my case?

the vintage is a tubescreamer clone, the ultimate drive is an ocd clone. you want the vintage (the green one).

Quote by oskos2001

they're metal. there have been some complaints about build quality, but as far as i'm aware they're legit clones ok. It depends on your definition of "fake" I guess. No-one ever seems to call boutique tubescreamer clones "fakes".

it works fine with high gain. but as i said above, tubescreamers are on the smooth side- if you're concerned it might be too smooth, a boss sd1 (or one of the similar clones mentioned above) might be a better idea as they have a little more edge, while still doing effectively the same thing.

And to answer your question above, you actually kind of can rent out pedals. Because of distance selling regulations if you buy online you have 14 days to decide if you want to keep the pedal or not. You'll likely have to pay return postage, but on a pedal that shouldn't be too bad.

Also a maxon od808 actually isn't a ts808 clone- it's a ts10 clone. I guess everyone got fooled by the name.

Quote by oskos2001
And on the note of the ultimate drive, I thought that's more of a standalone distortion/overdrive rather than to boost the high gain?, seeing as it has much more.gain on tap than the vintage OD or a ts

yep pretty much, it's an ocd clone. it doesn't have the mid-boost/compression nor bass cut of a tubescreamer or sd1.

Quote by 8Len8
I've found that most ODs kill the low end of an already distorted amp.

to be fair, that's kind of the point, and why they work so well. and for that reason i don't think a clean boost is a good idea, unless it has a bass knob to let you cut bass.

i really like a timmy too as a boost but it doesn't really do the same thing as a tubescreamer or sd1.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The sd-1 seems quite intriguing. Ok have to look into it haha, and thanks for ur help guys
Quote by oskos2001
The sd-1 seems quite intriguing. Ok have to look into it haha, and thanks for ur help guys

Sd-1s are a nice alternative to the abundant TS clones out there. It does the same thing, but with a slightly different flavor -- it sounds a little more ragged, raw, and grindy and less smooth; which can be a good thing for some music. (It's not a HUGE difference, mind you, but a subtle difference).

I've actually never owned an SD-1 -- I went straight for an MXR Custom Badass Modified OD (M77 is the model number). It is essentially an SD-1 on steroids. Instead of just a level, tone, and gain knob, it's also got a 100hz (bass) knob and a "bump" switch that shifts the whole EQ spectrum downward for more bass and lower mids instead of upper mids. The bass knob alone is very, very useful when tweaking for different guitars, tunings, and amps. It's also much quieter than an SD-1. Great boost -- I'd highly recommend it!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Sd-1s are a nice alternative to the abundant TS clones out there. It does the same thing, but with a slightly different flavor -- it sounds a little more ragged, raw, and grindy and less smooth; which can be a good thing for some music. (It's not a HUGE difference, mind you, but a subtle difference).

yep. and definitely, it's a subtle difference.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My two favourite overdrives are the Timmy and a modded Od-1 (built by Tim at Toyroom effects.) It has a nice tone control, otherwise it's just like an sd-1. I've always liked sd-1's for a lead boost. The Timmy is better for everything though. Timmies rock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification