I've read many forums and theres been some confusing information so I figured I'd start a fresh forum and make sure I do this right. Any help and advice is much appreciated in advance!

So my plan is to swap the FRT 01000 Series Korean made bridge in my Jackson Soloist Pro Series for an Original Floyd Rose German made one. Is it a direct swap no need to route or do any wood work? Also will the stud inserts from the 1000 series work with the Original Floyd Rose Studs? And also the stud inserts never wear out in theory right? So Theoretically I could change the bridge a thousand times and never need to touch the stud inserts correct? Also the OFR I am planning on swapping the FRT 01000 Series with is the OFR Floyd Rose sells on there website. Thats a good OFR correct?

Thank you all for your input.
The 1000 series Floyd is the exact same as an OFR, just made by different people in Korea instead of Germany. Even if you were to swap it, its a direct swap, you don't need to change anything else...but its a waste of money. I wouldn't do it.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I emailed Floyd Rose way back and they said it was a straight swap. I haven't tried the swap myself to corroborate that, though.

I always feel the german-made one is a bit nicer. But I also have a couple of guitars that have the frt-x000 and I haven't swapped them either- though I'm lazy and pretty rubbish at setups etc., the reason I haven't done the swap isn't entirely because I'm concerned it's a waste of money, in other words. But yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 7, 2016,
There's absolutely no point in swapping the two. IMHO, it's a waste of money. There's no significant difference between the two in terms of quality of materials or manufacture.

So if you don't know what to do with the Korean version when you swap, please send it to me. Seriously.

Floyd Rose has, for years, been producing the OFR (Original Floyd Rose) on two production lines in Korea. This was the one that large manufacturers like Fender and Gibson got (still is). The Schaller version was largely sent to tiny manufacturers and put into bubble packs for aftermarket sales.
My floyd is old and the knife edges are worn so are the posts. So my question now would be the Stud inserts will work perfectly for the German made OFR correct? And also if I needed to change that bridge again in the future I could continue to always use the original stud inserts? I guess my thought is if I can always reuse those stud inserts I would be able to change the bridge whenever the posts or knife edges started to wear out without ever doing any wood work correct? The stud inserts don't wear out right?
Last edited by charleszw7771 at Jul 7, 2016,
Quote by charleszw7771
My floyd is old and the knife edges are worn so are the posts. So my question now would be the Stud inserts will work perfectly for the German made OFR correct? And also if I needed to change that bridge again in the future I could continue to always use the original stud inserts? I guess my thought is if I can always reuse those stud inserts I would be able to change the bridge whenever the posts or knife edges started to wear out without ever doing any wood work correct? The stud inserts don't wear out right?

Ok, if there's a malfunction with the bridge I would replace it, I thought you just wanted to swap it just because. The stud inserts don't get worn down enough to make an impacy as they're thicker solid pieces of metal, unlike the knife edge, which can wear out. Honestly I would go with the Schaller Floyd, its made in Germany by Schaller who used to make the OFR's and its a direct swap. Its cheaper by about $50 usd and as long as you don't mind it saying licensed floyd on it, it will be just as good, if not better than a modern OFR.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

RBM01991
Quote by RBM01991
Ok, if there's a malfunction with the bridge I would replace it, I thought you just wanted to swap it just because. The stud inserts don't get worn down enough to make an impacy as they're thicker solid pieces of metal, unlike the knife edge, which can wear out. Honestly I would go with the Schaller Floyd, its made in Germany by Schaller who used to make the OFR's and its a direct swap. Its cheaper by about $50 usd and as long as you don't mind it saying licensed floyd on it, it will be just as good, if not better than a modern OFR.
So you would go with Schaller rather then the OFR Floyd Rose sells directly? And also thats good news so you're saying as along as I always change the bridge with something thats a direct swap there would NEVER be any reason to swap the Stud Inserts? Thanks in advance RBM
Quote by charleszw7771
RBM01991 So you would go with Schaller rather then the OFR Floyd Rose sells directly? And also thats good news so you're saying as along as I always change the bridge with something thats a direct swap there would NEVER be any reason to swap the Stud Inserts? Thanks in advance RBM

I went with the Schaller because its cheaper and its the same quality. I have a project I'm putting together and it came with a Floyd Rose Special, and I had the choice between the Schaller and the OFR and I picked the Schaller because its the same bridge essentially with a different name. You can pick them up on Stew Mac for $140 USD. It comes with all the necessary hardware, including new studs if you need them.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Bridges_and_Tailpieces_for_Electric_Guitar/Floyd_Rose_Tremolos/Schaller_Locking_Tremolo_System.html

Heres the link
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Last edited by RBM01991 at Jul 8, 2016,
RBM01991 Thanks so much. So I should theoritically never need to change those Stud Inserts correct? Even if I swapped the bridge 10 times over 20 years (Just giving an extreme example) But ya you get what I'm asking. Those just never need to be messed with as long as I swap with something thats a direct swap?
Quote by charleszw7771

you just need to watch about the warranty. i bought a gotoh floyd and the studs were too big- i emailed the shop i bought it from and they said (IIRC) that the guitar's stock studs would probably work just fine, but that it would void the warranty.

EDIT: there are two types of schaller floyd (excluding the low profile ones)- the regular schaller (which i haven't really tried but which is still meant to be a good trem, just not identical to the OFR and I think i've heard some complaints about maybe the baseplate or the screws? not sure, do some digging online with google or similar), and the schaller lockmeister, which as far as I'm aware is identical to the OFR, just with the schaller stamp on it. I think they started making it once the patent on the OFR ran out.

so yeah personally to be safe I'd probably get the lockmeister, it's a little dearer than the regular schaller but not much i don't think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 8, 2016,
Quote by RBM01991
as long as you don't mind it saying licensed floyd on it, it will be just as good, if not better than a modern OFR.

There are no more "licensed" Floyds. The patent expired some time ago, so there are no license fees and no reason to put "licensed by..." on any of them.
Quote by charleszw7771
RBM01991 Thanks so much. So I should theoritically never need to change those Stud Inserts correct? Even if I swapped the bridge 10 times over 20 years (Just giving an extreme example) But ya you get what I'm asking. Those just never need to be messed with as long as I swap with something thats a direct swap?

Right. The magic words are "direct swap."

BTW, keep an eye on those Inserts, especially if you get a wild hair to go with more springs or heftier strings. I've seen them slowly pulled into the bridge pickup cavity, which is a catastrophic failure and a fairly expensive/extensive repair.
dspellman How would that be a catastrophic failure? Or expensive to repair? They are stuffed in there so tight its hard to ply them out with all the right tools first off, second off if they came out which they could not, it wouldn't damage anything I would have to replace them and worse case if they stripped the hole they were inserted into I would have to dole it, re drill it, and swap them for probably some titanium ones if that happened. By the way you are once again wrong the patent may have expired but they still call the german made ones Original and the knock offs licensed.
Quote by dspellman
There are no more "licensed" Floyds. The patent expired some time ago, so there are no license fees and no reason to put "licensed by..." on any of them.

I know that, but they still say it on them, maybe they just havent updated their castings or I bought an NOS model, but mine is brand new from Stew-Mac and IIRC it says Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by charleszw7771
dspellman How would that be a catastrophic failure? Or expensive to repair? They are stuffed in there so tight its hard to ply them out with all the right tools first off, second off if they came out which they could not, it wouldn't damage anything I would have to replace them and worse case if they stripped the hole they were inserted into I would have to dole it, re drill it, and swap them for probably some titanium ones if that happened. By the way you are once again wrong the patent may have expired but they still call the german made ones Original and the knock offs licensed.

If you're so certain of everything, why the need to ask the questions?

dspellman is correct.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by charleszw7771
dspellman How would that be a catastrophic failure? Or expensive to repair? They are stuffed in there so tight its hard to ply them out with all the right tools first off, second off if they came out which they could not, it wouldn't damage anything I would have to replace them and worse case if they stripped the hole they were inserted into I would have to dole it, re drill it, and swap them for probably some titanium ones if that happened.

You didn't pay attention. On some guitars the forces that tend to pull the studs toward the neck (which include the strings *and* the springs) have actually pulled the studs into the bridge pickup cavity. If you notice, some guitars have the bridge pickup rout fairly close to where the studs are mounted. Those guitars have had that bit of wood collapse. See in this photo -- there's a thin dark line of still-painted wood between the holes for the Floyd and the bridge rout. If that wood gets overwhelmed by tension on the Floyd, it can collapse into the bridge pickup rout.

The studs don't pull out; they pull forward. Catastrophic repair. It can be done, but it's complicated.

Quote by charleszw7771
[By the way you are once again wrong the patent may have expired but they still call the german made ones Original and the knock offs licensed.

"they" does not include Floyd Rose. Floyd Rose actually doesn't sell an Original Floyd Rose (OFR) any more -- they sell a Floyd Rose Original Series (FRO), 1000 Series Originals (Korean made), 1000 Series Pros, etc. Branding silliness, I know, but Floyd Rose is actually selling what *used* to be "licensed" trems done on the same production lines that made both Original Floyd Rose (Korean versions for OEMs) and absolutely identical versions (except for the baseplate stampings) until just recently.

Which "they" are you referring to that call other manufacturers' similar bridges "licensed?" In any case, there are no license fees involved and these trems are not "licensed" in any way.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 12, 2016,
dspellmanWow, I had no idea. Dispellman forgive me for putting my foot in my mouth. I sincerely apologize. I was dead wrong on most of what I said and misunderstood the other half you were saying about the studs originally. I apologize and thank you for taking time to kindly correct me.
Arby911 No you're right the way I worded that post was very presumptuous. In the above post I apologized to dispellman.