Hi, I hope this is the right section for the kind of question i have to ask.
I was lately listening to some of the stuff Jack White made in recent years (after the White Stripes period actually) and I came across a couple of songs in which the fuzz guitar tone was so extremely heavy that blew me away.
As we all know, White often uses a Big Muff as his fuzz of choice, but these songs clearly dont sound like that at all.

The Raconteurs - Salute your Solution @1:46

Jack White - High Ball Stepper during the whole song, but mostly @1:58

Can anyone help me find out how this kind of fuzz sound can be achieved? (im not necessarily talking about pedals, but more generally)

Thank you!
Last edited by ihavetofindone at Jul 7, 2016,
IME, when y want fuzz like that, you are talking pedals. Some fuzzes can't deliver that kind of sound, others can do it all day, every day.

Here are 3:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The thing with fuzz pedals is I find they are very sensitive to voltages. That particular tone reminds me of a gated fuzz with the voltage turned down quite a bit (which is used to simulate the effect of a dying battery basically). You might be able add a gate control to a big muff and put a dying battery in there to simulate that effect but it might be easier to just get a gated fuzz with a voltage control.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
look up the bazz fuss, i have built a dozen in the last few days, totally destroyed nasty thick fuzz if you want.

zvex mastotron is a gnarly fuzz, so is the fuzz factory. they can get pretty crazy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Perhaps a bit overkill but if you prefer a joystick to control your fuzz parameters, lol, check out the Walrus Audio Janus Fuzz/Tremolo. It goes from typical Big Muff to filthy chaos. Its a blast to use the absurdly heavy fuzz, it makes me giggle sometimes when its sounding particularly evil.

Plus it has a nice warm sounding tremolo (independent from the fuzz).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
He uses a bass balls for that I think probably boosted with micro amp.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A