So thinking about purchasing an electric guitar again. Had an LP copy a few years back but sold it as I didn't really like the tone of it or really much about it at all but for my first electric it was fine. I've been playing my acoustic fender Sonoran but now my hands are itching for an electric again. I want something that is versatile, has great tone and is lovely to play. Would be using it for lead/Rythm in a band and for solo work too. Budget is £500, don't really want to go beyond that. Thanks for any suggestions.
I like HSS or HSH superstrats (don't have to be Fender) for versatility (though obviously they're not the only versatile guitars). I'm not that well up on what's available left-handed, though, which kind of complicates things (not your fault, it's really unfair ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I like HSS or HSH superstrats (don't have to be Fender) for versatility (though obviously they're not the only versatile guitars). I'm not that well up on what's available left-handed, though, which kind of complicates things (not your fault, it's really unfair ).
As far as HSS goes...

Most of what I can find with that config is - looking at new, anyway - Yamaha Pacifica territory pricewise. Not saying they're bad, just that most of what's there for lefties is SS, SSS or HH.

SSS/SS, Fender MIM is in the price range.

HH, there are Epis(like the ebony custom Pro, so it's got coil splits, which is a nod toward versatility), Schecters, Ibanez, the new Gretsch streamliners(but there's not a lot of versatility here)

TBH, in the new market, the best I can come up with is https://new.andertons.co.uk/p/ML1-LHTB/left-handed-electric-guitars/chapman-ml-1-left-handed-in-trans-black

And I can't really speak for quality on those.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Jul 7, 2016,
^ yeah you're going to struggle to get carvins here at all, let alone left-handed. And I think the prices are way higher here than in the USA

Rondo as well you're probably eroding most of the savings by having to ship it across the atlantic, pay VAT and customs (likely to be the guts of a quarter of the price, including shipping, if not even slightly more) etc..
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone played a classic vibe squier stratocaster before? I've only heard good things about them and they don't break the bank
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah you're going to struggle to get carvins here at all, let alone left-handed. And I think the prices are way higher here than in the USA

Rondo as well you're probably eroding most of the savings by having to ship it across the atlantic, pay VAT and customs (likely to be the guts of a quarter of the price, including shipping, if not even slightly more) etc..

I think we've surmised that this is the case, but has anyone actually picked up an Agile (or Carvin) for a friend and then mailed it across the pond? What does Reverb do? Hoosier daddy?
i have no idea if you don't have a friend though it's going to be awkward.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check with Adirondack. They have a selection of lefties covering the spectrum from budget guitars to high end axes, and they do ship internationally. If nothing else, it will show you options to look for.

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/lh_electrics.htm

One I noted was the G&L Tribute line. Good guitars.

Sweetwater also ships internationally.
http://www.sweetwater.com/c595--Left_handed_Electric_Guitars/low2high
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 9, 2016,
Dave_Mc
Quote by Dave_Mc
I had this discussion a while back, when I was extolling the virtues of ordering from Carvin with someone else from the UK. The someone flatly told me the prices would be double if not more.

Something that would be available as a re-entry axe, would be the new Epiphone SG copy, "G-400 Pro". These come in lefty, they're not much money, and I've heard nothing but praise for Epiphone's new split coil humbuckers. "They sound like the old Gibson PAFs". and the like.

And besides, everyone knows if you're not happy with the tone of your guitar, you need another amp.
Quote by Captaincranky
Dave_Mc I had this discussion a while back, when I was extolling the virtues of ordering from Carvin with someone else from the UK. The someone flatly told me the prices would be double if not more.

Yeah I think so, unfortunately. The USA prices are great, outside the USA (or at least in Europe) the prices skyrocket unfortunately. Now you mention it, I think someone on here from the UK (Tom maybe?) maybe did order a Carvin a while back through one of our USA members, but not everyone would want to do that- it's a fair bit of extra risk etc. (shipping the thing an extra time etc., and if something goes wrong you're technically the second owner so you may well be SOL since I'm guessing Carvin doesn't want USA "friends" helping international customers undercut the local dealers ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 9, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah I think so, unfortunately. The USA prices are great, outside the USA (or at least in Europe) the prices skyrocket unfortunately. Now you mention it, I think someone on here from the UK (Tom maybe?) maybe did order a Carvin a while back through one of our USA members, but not everyone would want to do that- it's a fair bit of extra risk etc. (shipping the thing an extra time etc., and if something goes wrong you're technically the second owner so you may well be SOL since I'm guessing Carvin doesn't want USA "friends" helping international customers undercut the local dealers ).
Plus, since Brexit, £500 is worth like $80 less than it was before.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Yeah I'd hold off making any purchase in a foreign currency (especially something custom-built like a Carvin where the money probably won't go through immediately) for the immediate future. It may well stabilise, or it may not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know if they are available left handed but the yamaha pacifica 611 is a very nice guitar
Last edited by Zwart at Jul 9, 2016,
Schecter Solo maybe?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by AdamHarkus
If you can get one, an Epiphone ES-335 PRO.

Semi-acoustic versatility, coil-taps, great pickups.
He needs a lefty version. IIRC, the "Sheraton II" was the last semi-acoustic Epiphone made in a left hand model. All they have now are SG & Les Paul styles.

Ibanez makes this "Artcore" in a lefty: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-artcore-expressionist-am93-semi-hollow-left-handed-electric-guitar But that's about it at anywhere his price range. Adirondack may sell a couple of Lefty Hagstroms, but, he's in the UK,, and that doesn't do him much good
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 11, 2016,
A Mexican Fender Standard Stratocaster would be an excellent guitar. Very well built, decent at holding its value and very versatile. Either get an HSS model or just buy an SSS version and change it to HSS when you have the money for the parts. There'd be no need to reroute the body of the guitar as beneath the scratchplate there's plenty of space to put a humbucker in the bridge.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
A Mexican Fender Standard Stratocaster would be an excellent guitar. Very well built, decent at holding its value and very versatile. Either get an HSS model or just buy an SSS version and change it to HSS when you have the money for the parts. There'd be no need to reroute the body of the guitar as beneath the scratchplate there's plenty of space to put a humbucker in the bridge.
Or an SD Hotrails or similarly sized humbucker would work.
Quote by Diemon Dave