I'm mainly just a home player. I currently have a Fender Super Champ X2 but I also am looking for something Voxy. To me, the supposed Vox voicing on the Super Champ never sounded very Vox like to me. Would I be better on going with the Joyo AC Tone (Which for the most part gets very good reviews) or saving more for a Vox AC4. The AC4 seems like the obvious answer, but maybe the AC Tone will sound more like an AC30 where as the AC4 may not? Again, I'm just mainly using for home use. The sounds I'm going for are mainly U2, Early R.E.M. type stuff.
on the cheap, and if it doesn't have to be valve, the vox pathfinder sounds fairly voxy to my ears

i haven't tried the ac4, though. as you said yourself, though, it's a different circuit/amp from the ac30 so you might be disappointed if that's what you're expecting...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks. Are you talking about the Pathfinder 15r that everyone loved or the current Pathfinder that's on the market?
Decided to try the cheaper option first and give the Joyo AC Tone a try. Now my question is, where do most people put a sim pedal like that in the chain? I'm thinking after overdrive, before modulation and delay? My crruent chain is

Mooer Yellow Comp >>> Fulltone OCD>>> Valeton Coral Mod >>> Boss BF-2 >>> TC Electronic Flashback >>> Behringer RV600 Reverb Machine

I'm thinking between the OCD and Coral Mod?
Quote by dombar335
Thanks. Are you talking about the Pathfinder 15r that everyone loved or the current Pathfinder that's on the market?

the one i had (that's the only one i've tried ), i think it was the pathfinder 15 (without the reverb). I'm guessing the other ones sound similar but
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmmm, I rather like the Super Champ Vox voices. David Gilmour and The Edge are definitely in there if you look. In the "dirt cheap practice amp" category, SC is hard to beat. AC15 would be your next choice.

This guy demonstrates Gilmour Vox tones pretty well:
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I find when I turn up the gain on the Vox voicing on the Super Champ at all, my delay pedal doesn't sound right.

Don't get me wrong, overall I'm very satisfied with the Super Champ for most of the sounds I want. The Joyo pedal should come tomorrow. I guess I'll find out if it gets me what I'm looking for.
Last edited by dombar335 at Jul 8, 2016,
Quote by dombar335
I find when I turn up the gain on the Vox voicing on the Super Champ at all, my delay pedal doesn't sound right.

Don't get me wrong, overall I'm very satisfied with the Super Champ for most of the sounds I want. The Joyo pedal should come tomorrow. I guess I'll find out if it gets me what I'm looking for.

Yep, to get Edge Delay your pedal needs to be in an effects loop after the preamp. True with all amps. My best Edge AC30/delay tone happens with a Vox Tonelab LE through a powered wedge. No guitar amp at all.

The Super Champ works ok with OD pedals and Wah on channel 1. The voice channel works best with no pedals at all, just straight in.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 8, 2016,
So if the AC Tone pedal is basically a preamp, I'm thinking stick it before the delay pedal.
Try it on chl 1 with a really clean setting. You may find what you are looking for (stolen U2 lyrics).

^ lol
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I got the AC Tone in the mail today. Took some fiddling with to dial in the right sounds. It actually sounded best with the "British 60's" setting on the Super Champ with no gain, then I used the pedal to dial up the gain a little bit. I was able to get some nice early U2 tones!
Quote by dombar335
I got the AC Tone in the mail today. Took some fiddling with to dial in the right sounds. It actually sounded best with the "British 60's" setting on the Super Champ with no gain, then I used the pedal to dial up the gain a little bit. I was able to get some nice early U2 tones!
I am fairly certain the British 60's setting is a VOX sim. What I think is happening is the AC Tone is actually just boosting the signal, making the VOX sim in the Super Champ break up a bit. So really you are still where you started... But if it works, it works. Maybe what you are really craving is a light overdrive to push the amp?

To really have the AC Tone do proper work, you would need to bypass the SC altogether and go direct to a FRFR system. I think it would need a cabinet simulation as well but I am not sure. You're essentially running the signal through two VOX preamps, stacked on each other. Again, if it works it works.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 14, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
I am fairly certain the British 60's setting is a VOX sim. What I think is happening is the AC Tone is actually just boosting the signal, making the VOX sim in the Super Champ break up a bit. So really you are still where you started... But if it works, it works. Maybe what you are really craving is a light overdrive to push the amp?

To really have the AC Tone do proper work, you would need to bypass the SC altogether and go direct to a FRFR system. I think it would need a cabinet simulation as well but I am not sure. You're essentially running the signal through two VOX preamps, stacked on each other. Again, if it works it works.

You are correct. British 60's is a Vox Sim. But now I'm getting a Voxy breakup and my delay pedal still sounds good.