Page 1 of 2
UG Forum team is generating so-called-great ideas and the new one is actually not entirely ours. As you know, we are working to improve our new forum (for those who didn't notice - we have totally new platform and it's not vBulletin anymore) and a lot of things we got from you in our New Forum is HERE thread. Hope you have the feeling that we do listen to you ?

The thing is, we talked a lot about custom settings for our forum (colors, first of all) to have more options (more than just Black and Classic). It is not that simple and we need to understand a lot of details... and here we are =) we are asking you to help us (again) to make this place better (select better colors at least).

There are a lot of different options to make forum custom. There is Reddit way - make forums and subforums custom. There is an option to set up few general colors. One more - use custom picture as a background. I mean, there are a lot of interesting solutions! We probably don't know a half of them.

Tell us your ideas.
"Like" the one you like.
And let's make something awesome together ?
Last edited by Shura_FYI at Jul 7, 2016,
you should make ostrich a staff member for his contributions and ideas that predated the official update

he knows how to make new colours
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jul 7, 2016,
The idea for custom defined colour schemes as set forward in this post seemed like overkill to me tbh

User defined colours/ images as background is such a myspace thing, not a 2016 internet thing. Themes should be just that, a unified theme across UG platforms, but a few more options than we have currently would be nice. Like I suggested in this post, I'd like to see another couple themes with more contrast/colour, while retaining UG's general theme.

If you're talking more generally about custom forum list, well that's basically what I use my Subscribed Threads list page as. Every thread I've ever posted in appears there when bumped, so I skim that first before venturing out to new threads.
I'm still getting the problem that it automatically gives me email subscriptions for threads I post in though, instead of just thread subscriptions (my main bookmark is the "Disable All Email Notifications" button/link to try fix it )
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 7, 2016,
I'd really like custom picture, but for just colors I'd really like to get a little color picker thing in the forum setting to replace these like 3 shades of black

Edit: Hydra stop trying to ruin everything, this is finally happening for us

Edit2: I'm sure you guys are aware of ostriches extention he made awhile back but even like these two examples, something this simple, giving use color pickers for like the 2 main colors would be huge

One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Jul 7, 2016,
Quote by FireFromTheVoid

I just think the focus should be on making the forum efficient, stable and ergonomic so that it's worth integrating into the UG Tab app, rather than spending energy chasing gaudy colour schemes and sig images
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 7, 2016,
Tbf I think I'm one of the few people that the forum has been working as intended for since they rolled it out so it's always been stable for me
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by FireFromTheVoid

I miss my blue UG
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 7, 2016,
And hydra wants to make sure you're never reunited
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

how'd he even get to be a mod

I didn't vote for him!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I'll keep that in mind, Mr Phils, when this becomes a democracy
down with Hydra, customization and ice cream for all

I had the idea a while back to sort of have your own custom forum composed of subscribed threads. that would be really great. colors would be a start, think another user went in-depth on that in the other thread

in case we don't say it enough, y'all the best
I think it would be nice to be able to change the color of your username (only visible to you, obviously)
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

I had the idea a while back to sort of have your own custom forum composed of subscribed threads. that would be really great.
is that not precisely what I have in my linked image?
that's what I've been using subscriptions for for years
go away gary
Quote by Hydra150
go away gary
here we see the violence inherent in the system
___

Quote by The_Blode
I have been asking for a "Blood of Hardworking Comrade Laborer" Red and "Grain of Harvest By Hand of Hardworking Comrade Farmer" gold theme for years.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I'd really like custom picture, but for just colors I'd really like to get a little color picker thing in the forum setting to replace these like 3 shades of black

Edit2: I'm sure you guys are aware of ostriches extention he made awhile back but even like these two examples, something this simple, giving use color pickers for like the 2 main colors would be huge

Thank you for using my theme as an example.It makes me feel like I actually did something right in life LOL
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I was going to suggest a blue color scheme, this one is very nice. I would have changed the background to #174372. Change links to #6868FC. Change reply box to #071D34. Either way, wish that existed.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Yeah having the ability to make a custom theme with a color picker like what the ostrich extension did would be great, I miss my custom theme.
simple colour options on basic parts sounds good to me (I will prob just stay on classic because I'm lazy)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Hydra150
is that not precisely what I have in my linked image?
that's what I've been using subscriptions for for years

There's a difference between that and a customizable forum. What I'm suggesting is about drawing in new users, especially to other forums, from the UG tabs/news sections. I know that conventionally forums have looked just like this (a list of forums and then homepages for those w/ subforums) but making it more about a custom 'experience' would draw more in since it's not all compartmentalized into different areas.
Quote by soundgarden1986
i want everything you could do with ostrich extension back
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1674211

there just do everything that did pls thx

Yes plz

It would make UG great again
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Shura_FYI
UG Forum team is generating so-called-great ideas and the new one is actually not entirely ours.

Was it mine? Because I feel like it was mine.

As I said in the other thread, there are 4 main colours on the black theme at least. There are about 5 other colours which don't appear much.

We could have it so you can select the 4 main colours and possibly background image. The other 5 colours could just be set to percentage lighter or darker versions than some of the main theme colours. eg. the colour of the "like" button and post time text, could be 20% lighter than the post background colour.

Or maybe implement a method (simple html or even ms paint) so we can create our own looks, then submit them to you guys. The most popular get made into official themes.

EDIT: Just realised there's a 5th main colour I forgot about, the background colour of the reply box (which is #000000 on UG black), which is also the colour of the background in the centre of the forum.
Last edited by Gaz_m2k5 at Jul 8, 2016,
User customization is not a worthwhile thing to allocate development resources to. The novelty of customization wore off last decade, there's no need to revisit this again. The dominant sites of today are largely static and prove that people favor a consistent experience over personal customization.

The current color schemes are fine, or at least most people are used to it. Focus on fixing the notification and search functions.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Xiaoxi got my back

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
There's a difference between that and a customizable forum. What I'm suggesting is about drawing in new users, especially to other forums, from the UG tabs/news sections. I know that conventionally forums have looked just like this (a list of forums and then homepages for those w/ subforums) but making it more about a custom 'experience' would draw more in since it's not all compartmentalized into different areas.

I don't really understand what you want or what it would look like
Quote by Hydra150
Xiaoxi got my back

I don't really understand what you want or what it would look like

It would look just like the homepage of any forum but only with your subscribed threads. Instead of being a thing in your profile on another version of the site.
So basically just make a better homepage for the forum?

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the lesser used, or not used at all forums condensed down some and then have them maybe be smaller in in 2-3 columns instead of one. With all your subscribed threads sitting where they currently have your thread history at the top.
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Jul 8, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
It would look just like the homepage of any forum but only with your subscribed threads. Instead of being a thing in your profile on another version of the site.
so a slightly different version of what I linked?
There's room for improvement in the layout maybe

And it needs to have clearer controls for subscribing to threads with / without email notification

And clearer navigation to the subscription page to encourage use
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 8, 2016,
do

do i start combing my hair forward again?

rawr
Quote by Hydra150
I just think the focus should be on making the forum efficient, stable and ergonomic so that it's worth integrating into the UG Tab app, rather than spending energy chasing gaudy colour schemes and sig images

Absolutely this

There is no reason to attempt to implement total control over every color like the UG extension app.
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jul 8, 2016,
The future of UG

You guys forget just how bad myspace was
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Jul 8, 2016,
FireFromTheVoid
Mate, if I could make UG look like that, or possibly a geocities site, then I'd be so happy.

Oh wait, maybe I can.

http://www.wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesizer/content.php?theme=2&music=11&url=www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1705179#34

Ah no it works a bit too well and I can't read text.
Quote by Dreadnought

There is no reason to attempt to implement total control over every color like the UG extension app.
the limited number of users who are desperate for the extended functionality of that may be best served by another unofficial effort by someone like behind_you, in time, if he's up to it

not to steal your fun from you guys, but it's not what I'd do if I was running the site (which clearly I'm not) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've written more than enough in these threads about what I'd do with the forum
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 8, 2016,
Page 1 of 2