Page 2 of 12
I saw a good analogy for "black lives matter" and it was saying

If Jim is sitting down for dinner with his family and everyone gets a plate of food apart from Jim then the issue is that Jim doesn't have food. Therefore Jim says "Jim wants food". If his family says "No, we ALL want food Jim" whilst tucking into their meal it's just being an arsehole.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by bdof
Bomb threats too

Also: https://twitter.com/DallasPD/status/751262719584575488 One of the suspected cocksuckers
for the sake of the record this guy was a protestor who had a licence for that gun, was in the crowd when the shootings began just marching and later handed over his gun to the police when he found out he'd somehow become a suspect.

i am v confused by this whole thing and trying my best to wait patiently to find out who these people were and what their motivations were. in the mean time rip alton and philando
Quote by tateandlyle
for the sake of the record this guy was a protestor who had a licence for that gun, was in the crowd when the shootings began just marching and later handed over his gun to the police when he found out he'd somehow become a suspect.

i am v confused by this whole thing and trying my best to wait patiently to find out who these people were and what their motivations were. in the mean time rip alton and philando

And the people who lost their lives today right?
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

@dallasnews
DART identifies Brent Thompson, 43, as DART officer killed in #Dallas shooting http://d-news.co/ankx3022DLP

that's the only one they've released
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Seriously.. let's just get a single "US gun crime" thread that gets bumped every couple of days when this happens again
Quote by sam b
Seriously.. let's just get a single "US gun crime" thread that gets bumped every couple of days when this happens again
yeah, because this kind of thing should totally get lumped into one thread.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Banjocal
I'ma generally avoid this thread but I can't see any libertarian ever arguing for the police in the police brutality debate. The whole ideology is built against any sort of state-oriented oppression not to speak of how the police just generally is.
EtR is a bit slow, you'll have to forgive him when he makes uninformed blanket statements.

Anyway this is outrageous, and I dunno if it's unprecedented, but it is very shocking and I can't recall anything similar happening in recent years. I hope the public and police are both able to parse this situation and not blame each other for the actions of two (or few?) murderers.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by jakesmellspoo
yeah, because this kind of thing should totally get lumped into one thread.

Glad you agree
It's terrible. I don't even know what else to say about it, just feeling bad.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by seanlang01
EtR is a bit slow, you'll have to forgive him when he makes uninformed blanket statements.

Anyway this is outrageous, and I dunno if it's unprecedented, but it is very shocking and I can't recall anything similar happening in recent years. I hope the public and police are both able to parse this situation and not blame each other for the actions of two (or few?) murderers.

the bloody hell you bringing me up for?

#obsessed

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by TobusRex
It's sad, but the fact is that violence begets violence. Expect more like this until the cops are reeled in. Lots of folks are outraged at police murdering people. Looks like some decided to fight back.

Dallas PD have some of the best community outreach programs in the US and have actually managed to lower murder rates. The shooter were targeting the protest. Cops were helping.
I wonder if we will reach the point where Obama's looses it after a shooting as he seems more weary each and every time. I half expect him to just go off on a rant at some point.
Quote by JackalUK
I wonder if we will reach the point where Obama's looses it after a shooting as he seems more weary each and every time. I half expect him to just go off on a rant at some point.

He increasingly looks like a parent disappointed at his kids for doing the same shit AGAIN, doesn't he?

It's like, 'behave, for five minutes. Please.'

It also pisses me off when he talks about the need for gun control and the response is "This is not the time for politics!" When is? There seems to be a shooting every other week and the response is the same. "Let's talk about it after we finish mourning! Oh, here we go again."

Now, don't get me wrong my American friends. I like guns, I watch gun related youtube videos, and if I were in the USA I would like to own them. I would also like there to be stringent checks to verify that everyone is not likely to be a danger to themselves and others. Is that REALLY too much to ask?
I mean really, gun control shouldn't even be a political issue.

I feel like when Obama leaves office, he is going to give the most expletive laden speech ever about the US and their inability to tackle gun violence. And it will be majestic to watch.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by RAB11
I mean really, gun control shouldn't even be a political issue.

...but arguments over it revolve around the second amendment, which was clearly drafted with political ideology in mind.

Everything is unavoidably and inescapably a political issue.
Politics is basically how we govern the lives of people, so how would it not fall into politics?
My God, it's full of stars!
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-dallas-police-man-photo-turned-40426075

Angry at police shooting, angry at whites in general. Wanted to kill whites, especially white police officers.

Never would've guessed...
Quote by bdof
Never would've guessed...

All that vagueness huh. It's like you're implying something.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

same people who say it's okay to pull on a gun on a black person because "statistically they're more likely to be felons"

Who says that?

Scratch that, there's probably one or two. If there's a stupid thing to be said, somebody somewhere has probably said it.

But you're implying there's a herd of them, and I'm thinking that's nonsense.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 8, 2016,
dont mess with bdof. hes full of cunning.

no wait.

the other one.

shit.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by JackalUK
It also pisses me off when he talks about the need for gun control and the response is "This is not the time for politics!" When is? There seems to be a shooting every other week and the response is the same. "Let's talk about it after we finish mourning! Oh, here we go again."

Now, don't get me wrong my American friends. I like guns, I watch gun related youtube videos, and if I were in the USA I would like to own them. I would also like there to be stringent checks to verify that everyone is not likely to be a danger to themselves and others. Is that REALLY too much to ask?

There's just one BIG problem with that idea.

Who or what would be the standard bearer that decides where the line between being dangerous and non-dangerous is drawn?
That is a grey area that has in the past been exploited by individuals(read: Despots) with malevolent intent in order to attain absolute power by disarming the general public through gun control legislation.
Last edited by davidyanity at Jul 8, 2016,
Is that even true? Have there been examples of despots entrenching their hold in what is otherwise a democracy through civilian disarmament?
Ok people, how about we don't reduce this to a gun control shitstorm debate?
Charles Darwin
This felt inevitable to me. With the amount of frustration out there of cops murdering black people and nothing being done I'm surprised people haven't taken to rioting in the streets.
RIP Matt Lauer

Because i'd rather pretend you're dead than acknowledge your existence.
Quote by Arby911
Ok people, how about we don't reduce this to a gun control shitstorm debate?

My apologies Arby. I didn't mean to shit in your morning coffee. I promise to practice better bowel control in the future.
Quote by Arby911
Who says that?

Scratch that, there's probably one or two. If there's a stupid thing to be said, somebody somewhere has probably said it.

But you're implying there's a herd of them, and I'm thinking that's nonsense.

i've linked earlier in the thread to a canadian political commentator who says that exact thing, her and her circle definitely think that, just look at the replies to her tweets or go on her facebook page

Quote by WaterGod
This felt inevitable to me. With the amount of frustration out there of cops murdering black people and nothing being done I'm surprised people haven't taken to rioting in the streets.
as sad and pessimistic this is i find it hard to disagree with.
The New York Times ‏@nytimes 24m24 minutes ago
Breaking News: One suspect in the Dallas shooting is dead. He "said he wanted to kill white people," the police said
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Is that even true? Have there been examples of despots entrenching their hold in what is otherwise a democracy through civilian disarmament?

Well, let me think...Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Tze Tung, Pol Pot, Idi Amin...just to name a few. And that's just the 20th century that I'm referencing.

There are plenty of other regimes in past centuries that have practiced the same thing.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
i've linked earlier in the thread to a canadian political commentator who says that exact thing, her and her circle definitely think that, just look at the replies to her tweets or go on her facebook page

I followed your link, didn't see that there but admittedly didn't spend much time on it.

My point is that you appear to be trying to conflate the extreme fringe with the common?

And...ummm...Canadian? Who gives a shit then?
Charles Darwin
Quote by WaterGod

I'd love for you to walk up to a cop and say this to his or her face.

This isn't what you say after people fucking die.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
I'll just say that Dallas PD has made huge strides towards community policing. They have a very good rep with the general public so the fact that this happened there is unreal.
Quote by davidyanity
Well, let me think...Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Tze Tung, Pol Pot, Idi Amin...just to name a few. And that's just the 20th century that I'm referencing.

There are plenty of other regimes in past centuries that have practiced the same thing.

Never heard that about Hitler, so I decided to educate myself a bit and see what I could find...it appears that point is only supported by american pro-gun politicians/historians... what a surprise. And doesn't seem to be factually correct either (Hitler actually armed the civilan population, only jews couldn't get firearms... yeah no shit, they basically lost every right. It was not specificaly a disarmament by the government to attack the civilan population as a whole). Will look into the other ones later.

Quote by Carnivean
I'd love for you to walk up to a cop and say this to his or her face.

This isn't what you say after people fucking die.

That would be innapropriate. But his statement is still right, it's an observation about human behavior, doesn't mean he supports what happened...
And since black/cops killing happen pretty much every other week, you have no choice but to say it after someone died.
Last edited by Djaydjay at Jul 8, 2016,
Godwin's Law at it again
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by ehbacon
Thank god guns are readily available items, I'm sure all those protesters and police officers feel much safer knowing that literally anyone in the crowd can have a deadly weapon.

Ok, fuck it, if this is the only thing that you clowns feel is important here, I'll play.

And yet the protests themselves were peaceful, even though it's an open carry state and as you mention, literally anyone in the the crowd could have had a deadly weapon. (And some did, one even carried the dreaded AR-15, and yet his rifle killed....no one...)

It is estimated that there are about 100 Million firearms owners in the US, about 300 million firearms and well over 1 Trillion rounds of ammo. If lawful gun ownership were really the problem wouldn't we see vastly more incidents than we do? At what statistical level do you acquire enough honesty to admit that perhaps it's not the firearms that are the root cause of the problem?
Charles Darwin