Page 4 of 12
Quote by WCPhils
I just hate how every argument comes down to "this proposed solution might not work immediately, so we can't try it." I find the gun culture argument really lame. Of course it wouldn't go away immediately, but after a generation or two, it would definitely start. In my expirience people not raised around guns generally don't give a shit about owning guns
And that's usually because those people live where they do not feel a need for their own safety or do not use them for sport and recreation. If you can convince so many gang members, young men in general really, but also women, in dangerous neighborhoods that they if they just get rid of their guns today, the next generation won't feel the need, go ahead and try. I think they might disagree.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by King Donkey
It's not about people being scared, it's about legally purchased firearms under your constitution contributing to the problem of mass shootings.

See the post above yours for the actual "contribution" numbers and then let's chat.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
lmao, when did I ever say I was scared?

Maybe I just think we should try to do something to curb the absolutely ridiculous amount of mass shooting that happen here. How dare people be concerned about the safety of the population when "muh guns" could somehow be in jeopardy. If the average gun owner is not someone who wants to shoot random people (which they obviously don't) then why are gun owners so fucking against more strict regulations? It makes no sense whatsoever. If they can easily pass the checks then it wouldn't effect them, right?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 8, 2016,
Quote by WCPhils
lmao, when did I ever say I was scared?

Maybe I just think we should try to do something to curb the absolutely ridiculous amount of mass shooting that happen here. How dare people be concerned about the safety of the population when "muh guns" could somehow be in jeopardy. If the average gun owner is not someone who wants to shoot random people (which they obviously don't) then why are gun owners so fucking against more strict regulations? It makes no sense whatsoever. If they can easily pass the checks then it wouldn't effect them, right?

What "more strict regulations" would you see enacted that would have a significant effect in reducing mass shootings and at the same time not significantly increase the burden on the millions of firearms purchasers annually?
Charles Darwin
It's crazy. I read that in 2013, only 6 bullets total were used by police in Finland
Quote by Arby911
See the post above yours for the actual "contribution" numbers and then let's chat.
That's still X amount of lives that died needlessly from lax gun laws. Over 100 people being killed at the hand of a legally purchased firearm tells me that yes America's insistence on not amending their gun laws and allowing so many guns to be in circulation has contributed to mass shootings. Saying "but it's only X amount of people that were killed" isn't good enough, those people lost their lives.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
That's still X amount of lives that died needlessly from lax gun laws. Over 100 people being killed at the hand of a legally purchased firearm tells me that yes America's insistence on not amending their gun laws and allowing so many guns to be in circulation has contributed to mass shootings. Saying "but it's only X amount of people that were killed" isn't good enough, those people lost their lives.

Are you ready to apply that same emotionally charged, non-quantitative thinking to every aspect of society or just to firearms?
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 8, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
Are you ready to apply that same emotionally charged, non-quantitative thinking to every aspect of society or just to firearms?
Such as?

Also implying there's something inherently wrong with qualitative thinking.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Jul 8, 2016,
Pretty cool that they killed one of the dudes with a robot bomb, like the kill streak from call of duty. That would have been good footage.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Pretty cool that they killed one of the dudes with a robot bomb, like the kill streak from call of duty. That would have been good footage.

WOW!

*shakes head*

Don't mess with Texas.
Quote by King Donkey
Such as?

Also implying there's something inherently wrong with qualitative thinking.

As noted, every aspect. Don't be a weasel, answer the question. Be as brief or expository as you like.

No, it has it's place, but I don't think this is it. I don't want to live in a world ruled entirely by statistics either, but they are pretty good at determining what is an actual crisis.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
What "more strict regulations" would you see enacted that would have a significant effect in reducing mass shootings and at the same time not significantly increase the burden on the millions of firearms purchasers annually?

What exactly is the problem with increasing the burden of acquiring the most efficient deadly weapon mankind has ever developed?
Quote by TheChaz
What exactly is the problem with increasing the burden of acquiring the most efficient deadly weapon mankind has ever developed?
its plenty hard to get nukes thank you very much.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by Djaydjay

That would be innapropriate. But his statement is still right, it's an observation about human behavior, doesn't mean he supports what happened...
And since black/cops killing happen pretty much every other week, you have no choice but to say it after someone died.

Oh okay so how's it less inappropriate to have that be the first thing you say here?
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by TheChaz

Refined Sugar?

More seriously, because it's unnecessary. As has been shown repeatedly, the problem isn't the tool, it's the user.
Charles Darwin
I wonder how many people have to die before gun nuts will finally concede and agree to alter the 2nd amendment. I bet it's a whole lot.
The people who are nuts are those that think control measures prevent incidents like this
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I wonder how many people have to die before gun nuts will finally concede and agree to alter the 2nd amendment. I bet it's a whole lot.

I can't speak for any "gun nuts" but concession isn't in my plans, since your fantasy wouldn't come true even if it were.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Refined Sugar?

More seriously, because it's unnecessary. As has been shown repeatedly, the problem isn't the tool, it's the user.

So why not make it harder for bad "users" to get this tool?
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I guess there's just no winning against stupidity.

I disagree. I fully intend to win, the fatuity of the opposition is actually a bonus.

Quote by Gaz_m2k5

Ok. How?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

How do you weed out the "bad users?"
You just take the guns away! Easy peasey . Like duhhh
Quote by Overlord
Ben Shapiro ‏@benshapiro · 6h6 hours ago

Cops shoot black suspects. It must be racism. Suspect shoots cops, says he wanted to kill white people. It must be guns.
Quote by JustRooster

With a gun?
Charles Darwin
British people are the fucking worst

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
That guy's just a obnoxious prick.

Quote by JustRooster

Background checks. A mandatory waiting period to obtain a gun might even let someone cool down if they're trying to kill someone out of anger.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
That guy's just a obnoxious prick.

Background checks. A mandatory waiting period to obtain a gun might even let someone cool down if they're trying to kill someone out of anger.

Those already exist. All handguns have waiting periods and it's a federal crime to sell a gun without a background check.
Someone made a very good point that a lot of people are commenting without actually knowing the gun laws in America. Could a friendly yank please outline them for me? How much does it vary between states? How easy is it to obtain a hand gun? Is it harder to obtain a semi automatic weapon? Are there different rules for different classes of firearms?

I'd like to gain a fuller understanding of this.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by Blayney
Someone made a very good point that a lot of people are commenting without actually knowing the gun laws in America. Could a friendly yank please outline them for me? How much does it vary between states? How easy is it to obtain a hand gun? Is it harder to obtain a semi automatic weapon? Are there different rules for different classes of firearms?

I'd like to gain a fuller understanding of this.

Basically buying a gun at a store or at a gun show requires a background check. Preventing sales between private parties is impossible. Beyond that there's nothing we can do without repealing the second amendment and suspending due process, which would make 1860 look like a dress rehearsal.

But hey.
Quote by Rossenrot
Basically buying a gun at a store or at a gun show requires a background check. Preventing sales between private parties is impossible. Beyond that there's nothing we can do without repealing the second amendment and suspending due process, which would make 1860 look like a dress rehearsal.

But hey.

How long does a background check take? What does it entail? Past convictions? Mental health? Medication? Training to use a weapon?

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

It's universal that you need a background check. You can't get a weapon without one. To sell a weapon without conducting a background check is a felony. To sell a weapon to someone who doesn't pass the background check criteria is a felony.

You can't just get any weapon you want. Automatic weapons, for example, require a certain license that takes months to apply for. I know one such person who has a license for automatic weapons, and the process took him 8 months or so.

Just about everywhere has a required wait on handguns. My state has a 48-hour wait. Our shitbag governor tried to repeal it, but it was reinstated. I don't know anywhere off the top of my head that doesn't have it.

The kind of weapons you can walk out with are generally rifles and shotguns. Rifles with a pistol grip have a 24 hour wait period in Wisconsin.

The big thing to know is that having a history of things like felonies or disqualifying mental illness will cause people to not get weapons, and rightfully so.

Gaz gave suggestions on how we should keep weapons out of the wrong hands. The things they suggested are things that are already in place, however. A big issue is that when guns are purchased legally and resold on the black market after filing off the serial numbers. I don't know what the statistic is on the percentage of crimes committed with black market guns, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was high.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jul 8, 2016,
Quote by Rossenrot
Ben Shapiro ‏@benshapiro · 6h6 hours ago

Cops shoot black suspects. It must be racism. Suspect shoots cops, says he wanted to kill white people. It must be guns.

It wasn't guns, but let's not pretend this was racist. People using this to prove a reverse-racism agenda are twice as agitating as those using it to prove an anti-gun one.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

IMO, because it's government conducting another war on an issue in the same miserable failing way they always do.

Recognizing a problem is a good thing but just relentlessly latching onto the first "solution" thats churned for a problem isn't good.

This "solution" to gun violence is the same "solution" that was given to illegal drug addiction. And it's created an exponentially bigger problem (s).
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 8, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
It wasn't guns, but let's not pretend this was racist. People using this to prove a reverse-racism agenda are twice as agitating as those using it to prove an anti-gun one.

"Reverse racism?" Racism against whites is just racism. This guy said he wanted to kill white people. That's kinda racist.
ben shapiro

ugh

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Rossenrot
"Reverse racism?" Racism against whites is just racism. This guy said he wanted to kill white people. That's kinda racist.

Yah I don't really see how you can argue that this isn't racist lol
My God, it's full of stars!