So I've played guitar for about 9 years (I guess 3 with the long break I took during high school), and I've always played metal music. I honestly hate the music, like I can't stand listening to it in my car or anything like that, it's just really fun to play on the guitar because of how technical and challenging it is to play.

I recently realized that I love the sound that comes from a Strat paired with a Bassbreaker/Twin Reverb amp (low gain sound), but I have no idea how to play the kind of music you would play with that combo.

I'm thinking about switching to playing a different kind of music that uses that sound of the strat/twin combo that I've just realized I love, but I have no knowledge of that type of music, so I'm not sure which songs I should learn or even what type of genre I should look into playing.

The main reason I like playing metal is because almost every song I try to play is challenging, and I get better with each song I learn. I want to know a genre of music that is just as challenging, and has a lot of fast technical solos just like metal does, but uses a sound that has a lot less gain. Maybe someone could recommend some songs or a specific artist or subgenre that I could look into.

Thanks
Last edited by ZachDro at Jul 9, 2016,
You don't necessarily have to *change* styles as *add* one.
Start to learn jazz chords. After that a LOT of things come into focus.
not sure if this is the right approach. sure you can find some jazz that uses far less gain and be fast as well as complicated but not so much using that combo that I can think of. check out some Jeff Beck as he does some amazing things with a strat but it's not blazing fast like metal at all. if I were you I'd explore the sound you like and adapt it to how you play. perhaps some Dio era Rainbow as Ritchie doesn't use that much gain either.
Solos aren't necessarily where the fun has to be. But here are some suggestions for fun things to do with clean (or acoustic) guitar sounds, some of which may take your fancy, some of which may not. None of them are Strat + Twin Reverb specifically but they're all either very similar (i.e. Fender singlecoils through '60s Fender amps) or clean sounds that the aforementioned combination would sound good doing.

Some tricky hybrid-picked country

Slightly jazz-flavoured country with alternating bass fingerpicking and some rather athletic chord shapes

Jazz manouche, an acoustic guitar but it might interest you since it's basically a lengthy solo with lots of fun arpeggio runs and such

Fender (obviously Tele rather than Strat) through a Fender amp, very sparkly cleans. Not a very hard song, but it's certainly a different skillset to metal and it's exactly the sort of sound that Fender-through-Fender is famous for, reverb and all

Possibly a bit of a wildcard, delay-drenched math rock, but this guy plays a Tele (a Schecter clone of one, anyway, with some beefy singlecoils) through a pair of Twin Reverbs and does some amazing stuff with the pedals in between (the Twin is known, besides its clean sound, for playing very nice with pedals)

Blues using the match made in heaven that is a Strat through a Tubescreamer into a Fender amp. The guy branched out in the amp department but that's what his core sound was about.

I tried to get a good range in there so hopefully there's at least something for you to enjoy there.

I made a similar switch; deciding metal wasn't what I really wanted to be playing all my life when I finally decided to buy some decent gear I sold off cheap Marshall and Epiphone gear to get a Telecaster and a Twin Reverb and it is, it has to be said, a very different experience. Probably the biggest thing to get used to is the dynamic response of a good clean amp like the Twin. There's no compression so if you hit a note hard it's loud. That's wonderful if done for effect (e.g. the intro of Jeff Buckley's Chicago performance of Hallelujah), but also something you need to be aware of for the sake of everyone's ears when dealing with an amp that loud.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 9, 2016,
In terms of genre, I can only offer suggestions based on my tastes. That said, if you want to venture into some technical bands that are still within the rock genre, but don't necessarily stick with the standard framework of power chords/solos, I'd recommend bands like Minus the Bear, This Town Needs Guns, Tiny Moving Parts, Russian Circles, Six Gallery, or maybe something like Pelican if you want something a bit heavier. A few of these bands break into alternate tunings, capos, and two-hand tap method, but all are technically sound and may offer some new ideas for your style. Good luck with your search for a new sound!
OffsetOffset
My advice is find a tone you like and play what you want. Metal doesn't have a monopoly on complcated, technical guitar work. It just seems to have more fans of that style of playing. But if you go digging through Zappa's avant grade stylings, funk, jazz music, C&W, Latin music, etc., you'll find shredtastic guitar playing.

Here are some non-metal performances that you might dig that illustrate the point:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 9, 2016,
Well as an absolute metalhead for 3 decades, I have to say I am mellowing out a bit myself. Check out Fuzz Universe and Vibrato by Paul Gilbert. Blues are also great for soloing, like Stevie Ray Vaughan or Clapton. There's a lot of good material outside of metal, and frankly metal solos can be limited by the chord progressions they follow.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
It's a big world with a lot of great music out there. Taste a little bit of everything and dig deeper into the stuff that moves you. Fretboard pyrotechnics are fun but just one small facet of all that is guitar.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
There is a lot out there some of it is quite technical. There are some things that sound easy but once you approach it you realize it is very technical like a lot of Chet Atkins stuff. Beyond lead there is some guys who put rhythm in their leads like Stevie Ray Vaughn in songs like Couldn't Stand the Weather or Mary had a little Lamb. Prog rock has lot of great players Steve Howe of Yes will go from Classical to howling screams on a pedal steel their Relayer album is just distilled insanity an all on a telecaster.
Follow the path of neoclassical shredded like YJM, and try out some of those blazing & complex violin parts favored by composers like Paganini. As they proved, that kind of stuff sounds great on electrics.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i played metal for a long time, still do. however i started playing blues maybe seven or eight years ago, and it is truly my passion. you can do more than one thing. i go through phases of each, but haven't gone thorough long periods of time without one or the other.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Try Albert Cummings

Last edited by JSCh94 at Jul 11, 2016,
Hmmm I never knew Fendery was a style.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge