I have been playing guitar for like a year or so, and overall I consider myself to be decent, I have learned every Robert Johnson song note for note and can play them proficiently, I can also play a lot of Metallica songs (not the solos, just the verses and choruses) on acoustic guitar. However, I have recently bought an electric guitar, and am looking to learn solos and such. I'm eventually hoping to build up to shredding. I have started trying to learn the solos to Peace Sells by Megadeth, but I am struggling a bit, and wondering if there are some solos I can work on to help build my skills so that I can play stuff like that. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by sebasn10 at Jul 9, 2016,
Start off easy. Do not try to go full shred without practicing simple exercises first. For a great Metallica song with an easy solo, try Nothing Else Matters. That would be a good start.
Living Loving Maid - Led Zeppelin
Every Rose Has its Thorn - Poison 2 solos
More Than a Feeling - Boston
Knocking on Heaven's Door - GnR 2 solos
Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin
sebasn10

Generally speaking, Megadeth solos are much more difficult and basically inaccessible to beginners. Start with Black Sabbath ( Paranoid album - it's a goldmine of easier material and really the reference point for any metal guitarist - it's the "Robert Johnson" of Metal) then work your way over to Metallica ( Fade Black, Orion, One - i.e. the slower solos) and Iron Maiden ( Powerslave album). Generally speaking, anything by Maiden or Metallica will be much easier than bands like Megadeth or Testament etc. Another great album for beginner metal solos is Danzig 1 - John Christ's solos are excellent and they are somewhere between blues and metal.
You could check out Troy Stetina's series of heavy metal books, they start you out with easy stuff and gradually get harder. Or if you're into blues I absolutely love John Ganapes' series of books.
Last edited by gtc83 at Jul 24, 2016,
AC/DC - Highway to Hell and Touch too Much
Free - Alright Now
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Californication
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Master of Puppets - Metallica
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Blackbird - Alter Bridge
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
“Music is a necessity. After food, air, water and warmth, music is the next necessity of life.” - Keith Richards