As a pedal amp, i mean - effects friendly guitar amplifier.
To my knowledge Fender Deluxe Reverb is an amazing pedal amp.(i don't own one) But why is it? Certain vintage sounding amps might end up producing compromised/mush tone if there is some low end, boost or distortion added. Also some high gain amps don't work for that so well.
Does it have to do with effects loops or circuits ,or maybe speakers or other variables? Or is it just the right combination with pedal and amp, and you just have to try it?

Myself i would be looking for a tube equipped combo that handles roughly everything, and all of it at once.

Enlighten me.
Last edited by MyBrokenGift at Jul 9, 2016,
it depends on what you mean. most people mean dirt pedals. normally it means an amp which sounds good with dirt pedals plugged in (dirt pedals are plugged into the front of the amp so it doesn't need to be an amp with an fx loop).

funnily enough a lot of people don't like blackface fenders for pedals because of the bright cap- they can sound too spiky with dirt pedals.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc I just used that amp as example, since many people on internet claimed it as great for that purpose. The Andy at ProGuitarShopDemos on YouTube uses a Fender DRRi for 90% of the time. As my preference goes i have not encountered a tone too spiky for me Maybe the sounds character is altered since he plays with his fingers, but so do i.
Yes. I mean dirt pedals. Layered transparent distortion pedals is what i go for.
The DRRI is used as a platform for pedals because it's a good clean amp. Likewise Twins, Roland JCs, stuff like that. There's nothing really "special" about them beyond that - the Fenders are pretty sparse on bells and whistles like FX loops. The good cleans mean they bring out the "real" sound of a pedal without colouring it too much. In the case of the Deluxe Reverb, although it has no master volume, it's also got little enough headroom that if you want to demonstrate a pedal driving the amp into distortion, you can also do that (as opposed to the Twin Reverb, which barely breaks up at levels that knock paintings off your walls - I've tried it).
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
^^ yeah fingers would likely help with the spikiness
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's all about the preamp design. Most modest gain tube amps accept pedals well and some hi gain amps do. In SS amps the venerable Peavey Bandit, Roland JC120, and Gibson Lab series all responded well with pedals. My Mesa takes pedals well on the clean channel which is mostly a Princeton blackface circuit. On the gain channel it is a mixed bag with some boost pedals working great and some OD not so great. Trial and error.

Most modeling amps don't play too well with pedals because they were designed around modeled amp voices so you don't need no stinking pedals. That is the theory anyways. The small Super Champ XD takes pedals well on the clean channel but the voice channel is a mixed bag. Wah is ok there but OD is patently awful. Spider- awful with every pedal I ever tried. Roland Cube- Not good on the voice channel, ok on the clean channel.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Cajundaddy
Quote by Cajundaddy
It's all about the preamp design. Most modest gain tube amps accept pedals well and some hi gain amps do. In SS amps the venerable Peavey Bandit, Roland JC120, and Gibson Lab series all responded well with pedals. My Mesa takes pedals well on the clean channel which is mostly a Princeton blackface circuit. On the gain channel it is a mixed bag with some boost pedals working great and some OD not so great. Trial and error.

Most modeling amps don't play too well with pedals because they were designed around modeled amp voices so you don't need no stinking pedals. That is the theory anyways. The small Super Champ XD takes pedals well on the clean channel but the voice channel is a mixed bag. Wah is ok there but OD is patently awful. Spider- awful with every pedal I ever tried. Roland Cube- Not good on the voice channel, ok on the clean channel.

While I agree with the modeling amps part, IME the Vox Valvetronix takes pedals pretty well.
The Peavey Vypyr does as well, although I have found with the vypyr, as far as gain type pedals go, it does better with clean boost pedals like the LPB1 than OD or distortion pedals (IMO the Vypyr does dirt pretty fucking good on its own)
The Vypyr and the Valvetronix are the only 2 modelers I have owned and the only ones I can really comment on. As for the other modeling amps, I don't have a clue.
Yes, I think the Valvetronix is one of the most flexible modeling amps to work with pedals. I have used one on occasion as a backline amp and it was pretty good but I never owned one. I do own a Vox Tonelab LE which works well with many pedals and shares much of it's preamp design with the Valvetronix series amps. I have never used the Vypyr but friends have them and they are pretty good as modelers go. Some preamp designs are very pedal friendly and some are not, so it's really a matter of trial and error until you find the right combination that works for you.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY