Hey br0thazz

I bought my first real amp today, a used Peavey Studio Pro 112.
Thing is, I don't know shit about how to use it. So I conquered my fears and attacked Google with an arsenal of questions. But I don't really feel like i get anywhere with it. I found the manual, but most of the information there was just confusing. I found YouTube-videos, and there I found certain songs with the right settings, like Master of Puppets, but that didn't help me much because.. Well, I don't play that one. Yet.

So, my main question is this:
How do you get to know my amp, to the point where you can just "oh, i like that sound on (whatever)" and then fix it like that on my amp? Years and years of practice? Sure, but where to start then?

Right now I mostly play songs like Nothing Else Matters, Stairway to Heaven (getting to the Solo part), the beginning part of Little Wing, Snow, Babe Im gonna Leave You, and stuff like that. And sure, I can get it to sound okay. But.. not like the originals.

F.ex. the solo in NEM sounds really bad. Like a train or something, with a roomey? wooshy? (hard to explain) kind of sound.

Lastly, no, the settings thread don't work, for some reason? It asks me to report a problem..

Lots of love for the guys with the good answers <3

Edit: So guys, maybe this is better: What would you do here to get close to NEM, Stairway, Little wing?

My amp:
Peavey Studio Pro 112
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/3/9/9/0/399096/pics/_c521817_image_0.jpg

My guitar:
Cort Les Paul 250
http://24music.eu/images/shop/cort-cr-250-crs.jpg
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Last edited by mmalvik1 at Jul 11, 2016,
Here's what you do; Play some generic riff and start methodically tweaking knobs. Start with the one on the right side, note what it does whilst turning the knob. Then move to the next, note what it does...and so on. Its important to know the extremes of what the functions do, every amp is different. Go through this procedure a few times.

Then, say you hear a song you dig and wanna learn. If you "know" your amp you can dial in a reasonable tone you can use for the song. It may not match the exact tone from the song but thats not important. The important thing is it sounds good to you.

That's about all you can do.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
lucky1978
Good answer! Thx man. Something you recommend for me to read?

Also, what about the NEM solo? Why does it sound like an angry train? You got any settings i can try out?
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Last edited by mmalvik1 at Jul 10, 2016,
Just experiment and try how turning the different knobs affects your sound.

When it comes to Nothing Else Matters solo, use your neck pickup.

Also, remember that replicating studio tones is pretty much impossible. You just want to find a tone that works well enough.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
MaggaraMarine
Yeah, I get that about studio tones, but im so far off. What does fex this guy do to get it that close?

Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Get a looper pedal and put it right after your guitar. Record the riff then play it back and turn knobs!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
are you talking about the 'fuzzy' sound? that is what is called overdrive or distortion. your amp should have that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup
Yeah, the fuzzy sound on the first and second (and more) that he plays.

So guys, maybe this is better: What would you do here to get close to NEM, Stairway, Little Wing?
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
use the lead channel, set the pregain at six or seven, treble around 4, mids 6, and bass 5,and think of the post gain as volume.

these are estimates, tweak to taste.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
trashedlostfdup
Quote by trashedlostfdup
use the lead channel, set the pregain at six or seven, treble around 4, mids 6, and bass 5,and think of the post gain as volume.

these are estimates, tweak to taste.

Thx man.

Treble is low, and bass is high?
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Quote by mmalvik1
trashedlostfdup
Thx man.

Treble is low, and bass is high?
mmalvik1
Lol duHh, fail.

Anyways. What about Stairway to heaven, little wing, All along the watchtower?
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Quote by mmalvik1
mmalvik1
Lol duHh, fail.

Anyways. What about Stairway to heaven, little wing, All along the watchtower?
It's really difficult to tell someone how to dial in a particular tone without being able to hear the results because adjustments will likely have to be made. Also, we're talking about entirely different tones. Nothing Else Matters was done most likely with a Mesa Boogie with quite a bit of delay on it. Without delay, you not really going to get there.

Stairway to Heaven solo was done with a Fender Tele (I think single coil pups) and a Supro Thunderbolt. If I'm not mistaken, live he used Marshall and a double neck SG with humbuckers. Little Wing and All Along the Watchtower were likely recorded using Marshalls and single coil Fender Stratocasters, and Jimi loved his fuzz pedals. Basically, what I am saying is that with your set up, you should be able to dial in some decent tones for what you want to do, but if sounding like the originals is your goal, you're going to fall short every time. You are unlikely to get tube tones out of a solid state amp, plus if you don't have effects like delay (although reverb might help) it is also another set back.

Another factor that hasn't been discussed yet is technique. Each of those guitarists had a different technique and it comes through in their sound. Proper technique will get you a bit closer, but different styles of playing will always shine through. Listen to SRV's version of Little Wing. Even the parts that he plays the way Hendrix did, still sound like SRV playing it. It's not all bad news though. Start out with everything at 12 o'clock and make adjustments from there. You may not get it right away, but each time you try, it will serve as a valuable lesson.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Nolasludge
Yeah, I get this. I know my amp doesn't have "become the best guitarist in the world"-button, but, you know its kinda cool to sound more like how the song actually is than like an actual train. With my first amp it wasn't even worth it to try to play solos because the amp just killed it. Now, with a better amp, I want to get what i can get, if you catch my drift.

I think this should be kinda first guitar lesson material tho
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
I should have stated that is purely an estimation. every guitar and amp is different. every song is also different. Don't scoop the mids too low. that is a common beginner mistake.

search for the "settings thread"
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Your lead channel has three different "voicings" (vintage, modern and high gain). I would guess "modern" or "high gain" will work for 90s Metallica and "vintage" will work for things like Hendrix and Zeppelin (just my guess - I haven't played through the amp). The tone on Little Wing is pretty clean so you may want to use the clean channel (unless you want the solo tone - it has some overdrive).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115