By new bands, I'm talking about the time period of 2011-now, shortly after the last recommendation thread was. I feel the thread is missing a lot of modern day representation, and while the ever-growing scene of metal puts out quality releases and keeping up with it is difficult, at the very least we can cover some ground.

So post your favourite bands and/or bands you think deserve a mention for the thread. Even if this doesn't get put into the new thread, you might learn a few cool bands or something. What do I know. This could serve as a peer review process.

Some blatantly obvious ones:

Suhnopfer - Offertoire
Obsequiae - Aria of Vernal Tombs
Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
Sorcier des Glaces - Ritual of the End
Portrait - Crossroads
Demon Bitch - Death is Hanging... and/or Hellfriends
Agalloch - The Serpent & the Sphere
Question - Doomed Passages
Noble Beast - s/t
Cult of Fire - मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान

My thoughts on this idea:

This is a community forum. So if I went through a whole shit load of bands from the past five years, then that's my viewpoint, and not a community one. At the very least this will be in someway linked to each other's preferences.

If you want a band added, then writing a brief description is welcome. Make it accessible and readable. If you want the music to speak for itself, then that's fine too.
If I had a whole album done I would totally say my band but I don't.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I dig the Rec thread being solely classics and time tested releases for the most part, in fact if I had complete control it would look slightly different in that respect. With that being said new albums have their place somewhere in there, but it's already a full plate as is and with that in mind maybe this is what the "Further Listening" section could have been.

Ideally I would want the Rec thread to be lean and mean with optional extended information.

Also Serpent and the Sphere was Agalloch's weakest moment to these ears.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I dig the Rec thread being solely classics and time tested releases for the most part, in fact if I had complete control it would look slightly different in that respect. With that being said new albums have their place somewhere in there, but it's already a full plate as is and with that in mind maybe this is what the "Further Listening" section could have been.

I can agree with adding new bands to the further listening section. When, and if there's a list for new bands, the inclusion of new bands would essentially be putting two-three new bands in each category, and even that's up for debate. The idea of continuity is essential for metal, and to see what direction metal has headed with more recent production methods is interesting, at least to me.

I don't think the full-plate thing is relevant, but it depends on what you mean by that. If you mean that people are going to listen to all of the bands, I think that's not true, and if you think the lists now look daunting to a new user, I can agree to that.

EDIT: I'm glad if anyone takes the time to comment since lurking is very common until someone speaks up! If it turns out that the community doesn't want any new bands on the list, then that's ok too.
Last edited by severed-metal at Jul 10, 2016,
I think I voiced an opinion similar to VG in the other thread. Although I'm not totally against it at all. It's just that the classics are timeless and pretty much indisputable. I think it's important to be well-versed in the classics. Because from there, one has all the necessary tools to judge quality for themselves. No other information is really needed. On the other hand, I don't want to just ignore notable newer releases. Maybe we can have a separate section under each genre for new stuff, or maybe even a separate thread devoted to new stuff.

I dislike the ambiguity of the 'further listening' sections. It could just be solid but less notable releases, or new releases, you could put something in there for any reason at all really.

As for new stuff, I 100% agree with these:
Quote by severed-metal

Suhnopfer - Offertoire
Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
Portrait - Crossroads
Demon Bitch - Death is Hanging... and/or Hellfriends
Question - Doomed Passages
Noble Beast - s/t

I haven't heard the other stuff. Some of my ideas for possible new recommendations:

Caladan Brood - Echoes of Battle
Angel Sword - Rebels Beyond the Pale
Visigoth - The Revenant King
In Solitude - The World. The Flesh. The Devil.
ZUUL - Out of Time ~ To the Frontlines
Terminus - The Reaper's Spiral
Trial - Vessel
Lancer - s/t
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

I'd be ok with a sticky and a newer releases thread while we refine the new recommendation thread a bit. Like nitpicking the "further listening" category, so it becomes a little bit more focused rather than the "pick a random band" aesthetic it's currently providing. I'm not sure how you'd get outside of doing that, essentially. Perhaps a brief description, no more than a sentence or a comparison with a band on the necessary listening list.

As for the new releases thread, how old is a new release considered? I would say maybe 3 years is about reasonable. However, that would require a yearly review (not difficult), but more importantly, would the bands that are now considered "old" be put into the recommendations thread?
My opinion will be of no surprise, since I already spoke in favour of trimming the thread down. I was referring more to the minor irrelevant subgenres towards the bottom of the list, but I also think that within some of the genres there are albums that don't really need to be there, but would come to those interested as they explore further.

I kind of like the idea of a separate new releases list in another stickied thread, if it's kept updated and limited to the real stand-out albums.

Are we talking about "new" bands or just any high quality release since 2011, including those from classic bands? I'd prefer the latter, and Sorcier des Glaces aren't exactly new anyway.

A few albums that haven't been mentioned:

Birth AD - I Blame You
Blaspherian - Infernal Warriors of Death
Condor - Nadia
Desecresy - Chasmic Transcendence; Stoic Death
Kaeck - Stormkult
Kawir - Ισόθεος
Vektor - Outer Isolation
War Master - Pyramid of the Necropolis; Blood Dawn
Witchblood - Hail to Lyderhorn

Worthy releases by established bands:

Demoncy - Enthroned Is the Night
Graveland - Thunderbolts of the Gods
Imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita
Profanatica - Thy Kingdom Cum
Sammath - Godless Arrogance
Satan - Life Sentence
Summoning - Old Morning's Dawn
Last edited by Hoodoo Man at Jul 10, 2016,
New releases. I needlessly called it new bands and that's not what I meant. Any releases post 2011, or for a set amount of time. So, let's say past five years is good then?

that's two votes for the new releases thread, and I think that might be more practical in the end anyways so as to not bog down the rec thread.

holy christ I forgot Vektor. That's why you guys are here though. great additions!
I vote to ban all discussion of post-1994 metal with the exception of Grand Belial's Key, Destroyer 666 and Dead Congregation
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
What about "Stellar" by Der Weg Einer Freiheit and "Peace Was Never An Option" by Man Must Die?
Last edited by HaydenHohns at Jul 11, 2016,
Quote by MHDrunk
I vote to ban all discussion of post-1994 metal with the exception of Grand Belial's Key, Destroyer 666 and Dead Congregation

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I like the idea of a Community Potluck so to speak. It doesn't have to be a "Best of..." sort of thread. Hell, it can just be community picks that users on the forum enjoy, so there is no confusion between what we put forward as classics and just House Recs.

I guess the problem then comes with people asking for recommendations. Which thread would they use? Perhaps we could do like a rotating list similar to some of the games we used to play. So, something like "Severed's Enormous Manhood & his Top DM picks this month..."

Edit: I like the idea of a thread solely devoted to post 2011 releases or something like that.

Edit 2.0: I miss the Hessian Prog thread. That thing was taken too early in life.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Jul 11, 2016,
I mean wasn't the old thread just:

Posts 1-10: List of albums to listen to
Posts 11-235943488348: People ask for suggestions and receive them

I mean that's pretty much community picks once you get past the first 10 posts listing the recommended albums.