Hi.

Another standard "which amp?" thread so I'll get straight into it...

Budget is ~£200. Certainly no more than £250.
Play all genres, but more metal than anything else. (Lamb of God, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Atreyu, Killswitch Engage).
Looking to record often and play with other guitarists occasionally, switching from clean to distortion live (needs to be done via pedal I assume).
Already own a few pedals and will continue to use/buy more.

So far come down to the Blackstar HT-1r https://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-1
Or the Orange Micro Terror https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-heads/tiny-terror-series/micro-terror/

Since I control my tone through pedals, is there any point going for the Blackstar? I just see myself leaving it on pretty much clean or low gain, using pedals for high gain. That's why I thought of the Orange, but I THINK the Blackstar is all tube...
Both amps have emulated/headphone output and AUX in, features I do want for late night playing and quick and easy recording.

Anyway, thanks for any help.
If it were me, I'd go with the Orange. I've had a bad experience with Blackstar, plus the fact that their marketing is shady, I'd rather not support them. Additionally, I think the Micro Terror is a better sounding amp and more reliable.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
I've owned both these and would say the Blackstar takes pedals a little better. If I were you I would try to get an Egnater Tweaker 15 which I've seen go on ebay for ~£200. Has really great cleans and takes pedals much better than both the Micro Terror or the Blackstar. It's also super versatile since you can completely change the way the amp reacts via the switches.
the blackstar's not all-tube

you're probably struggling to get something all-valve for £250 which can do metal, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 11, 2016,
Thanks Dave.

Yea know it's a big ask and I thought the Blackstar was too good to be true, maybe what Nolasludge said about shady marketing is true. By no means just Blackstar though.
I'd give up having tubes for the right deal, I just thought a clean tube amp would handle pedals better than SS or modelling or whatever.
If I can't find that Tweaker then it looks like the Orange then. I'd quite like to finally have a head/cab as part of my setup anyway...
yeah you def should avoid the micro terror for metal. youll get hard rock at best. i would def look for a used peavey vypyr tube 60. or randell diavlo 1.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by sroberts90
Thanks Dave.

Yea know it's a big ask and I thought the Blackstar was too good to be true, maybe what Nolasludge said about shady marketing is true. By no means just Blackstar though.
I'd give up having tubes for the right deal, I just thought a clean tube amp would handle pedals better than SS or modelling or whatever.

Yeah blackstar's not the first

and if you're ok with pedals you might be able to get a clean tube amp under your budget
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could look for the black star metal one watter. Not the worst with a tube swap. Maybe a 112 cab later.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
yeah you def should avoid the micro terror for metal. youll get hard rock at best. i would def look for a used peavey vypyr tube 60. or randell diavlo 1.
That's not true. Put an OD in front of it and you will have plenty of gain for metal. I've seen a bunch of metal guitarists using a Micro Terror with really good results. TS said it was likely going to be a pedal platform anyways, and Orange amps are built much better than Blackstar. I just personally think he will get more bang for his buck with the Micro Terror. The Micro Terror may have a solid state power section, but for modern metal, power tube breakup isn't really that desirable, so it doesn't really make a huge difference.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
jet city 2112rc may squeeze in budget. better than the other two imo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Used JCA 22 and a 1x12 maybe?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Nolasludge
That's not true. Put an OD in front of it and you will have plenty of gain for metal. I've seen a bunch of metal guitarists using a Micro Terror with really good results. TS said it was likely going to be a pedal platform anyways, and Orange amps are built much better than Blackstar. I just personally think he will get more bang for his buck with the Micro Terror. The Micro Terror may have a solid state power section, but for modern metal, power tube breakup isn't really that desirable, so it doesn't really make a huge difference.

metal is a subjective term i guess. metal to you may mean something different to me. just doesnt seem like it would be enough gain.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
metal is a subjective term i guess. metal to you may mean something different to me. just doesnt seem like it would be enough gain.
All you really need is gain saturation, which with an OD, you can get more than enough. After that it's all about what you do with your hands. A lot of people tend to use too much gain anyways. Case in point, look at Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, and Entombed. All three considered death metal, all three different tones. Especially when looking at Entombed. That is not your typical death metal tone, but yet they pull it off. Check out the video. If that's not enough gain to play extreme metal, I don't think the issue is with the amp. I will say that there are better options out there, but with the TS's budget and the two choices he gave, I personally feel like the Micro Terror is the safer bet, but the JCAs that were suggested would probably fit the TS better while still being close to budget.

Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1