Just over at a buddies and didnt wanna lug my cab wanted to compare amps w/o switching cables. Cab has 2 8 ohm inputs id be running one into a 150watt tripple rec and the other into a bugera 100 watt 6262. Just wanna make sure it wont fry anything
What kind of cab?

You most likely cant unless you rewire the cab since generally that second plug is a through output to power other cabs IIRC. Even still, depending on how many watts the speakers are, they might not be able to handle the amps anyway.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
This is a fairly common question here!

NOTE: If you mess this up, you can seriously screw up both amps. Big repair bills.

There are two good ways to do this. One is to install a switch (with wiring) that will allow you to switch whether the cabinet is running in stereo (required for two amps coming in) or mono (one amp):

You'll want to install something like this:

OR you can rewire the cabinet and install one of the two jacks as a switchable stereo jack (it will automatically switch into stereo mode if you have a plug in each jack):

Note carefully the replacement of a standard jack with the Switchcraft 14B stereo jack in the left side.

Other considerations:

Depending on the speaker cabinet (212, 412), you'll want to make sure that half the speakers installed can handle the output from any one amp and will match the impedance selected on the amp. If you're running a 2x12, you can end up with 4 or 16 ohm mono and 8 ohm (each side) stereo if you've got 8 ohm speakers. You can achieve the same thing if you've got 16 ohm speakers in a 4x12, but you'll be running each side in parallel. This wiring diagram uses switching jacks on BOTH jacks *and* a separate switch:

And one final thing: If you have a 2x12 and need speakers capable of handling anything you can throw at them, check out Eminence 12" Delta ProA's. These will handle up to 400W RMS each. About $129 at places like Sweetwater, Amazon.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 11, 2016,
Quote by dahmsb
Just over at a buddies and didnt wanna lug my cab wanted to compare amps w/o switching cables. Cab has 2 8 ohm inputs id be running one into a 150watt tripple rec and the other into a bugera 100 watt 6262. Just wanna make sure it wont fry anything

If it´s a stereo cab with the switch set on stereo you´re good. Otherwise you´ll fry one or both of the amps.
Last edited by kentuckyklira at Jul 12, 2016,
^ he needs to watch the wattage of the speakers, as H4T3BR33D3R said. not very many 150 watt speakers around.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Really not worth taking a chance. A used cab that you leave at your friends will be cheaper than the cost of the repairs if this isn't done right. Very risky.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
Really not worth taking a chance. A used cab that you leave at your friends will be cheaper than the cost of the repairs if this isn't done right. Very risky.

+1

if you don't know how and ask how, i don't think you know enough to do it. ( you get the point, i can't think of the right phrasing... lol).

don't risk it. one small error, loose connection, bad joint, could cost $100's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
http://www.tonebone.com/headbone.php

Try one of these, TTK used this in his Soldano VS Jet City video and it worked very well. Its not as complicated as people make it seem to be. Just make sure that the impedance is right on the heads and the cab for each input and you'll be ok.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by RBM01991
http://www.tonebone.com/headbone.php

Try one of these, TTK used this in his Soldano VS Jet City video and it worked very well. Its not as complicated as people make it seem to be. Just make sure that the impedance is right on the heads and the cab for each input and you'll be ok.

That's not going to work. He wants to run both heads simultaneously into one cabinet. The Headbone will allow you to run *either* head into a single cabinet, but not both at once.

This is a simple wiring job, guys. As long as you have at least two speakers inside a cabinet, you can run two amps into it as long as you can isolate each speaker/amp combination when both heads are plugged in.
Quote by Rickholly74

Simple and not risky if done correctly. I have two 2x12s, each of which is wired for stereo use. We've used them all sorts of ways, and they're handy when you have limited stage space. For example, I've had another guitar player running into the right side of each cabinet (with each cabinet on opposite sides of the drummer) so that he could hear himself no matter where he wandered on stage. I've run guitar and/or keyboards into the left side of each cabinet. We've also simply stacked the pair of 2x12s with him running out of the right side, me out of the left.

Speaker wattage capacity can be an issue if you're going to blast away; I had both of my cabinets loaded with the aforementioned Eminence Delta ProA speakers, each of which is capable of handling 400W RMS for a total of 1600W RMS total capacity. That's far more than a couple of 100W amps are going to feed it. I eventually ran the pair with a 1500W power amp for personal use with no issues.

What ever happened to the TS?
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 12, 2016,