Straight to the question,
I'm thinking of buying some headphones for recording my budget is around $150 (give or take $30),
will ATH-M50x be good for recording and occasionally general use in music?

thanks
-P
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Why are closed back headphones bad for mixing?
Open back headphones can let in noise, so wouldnt that mean less able to hear the tracks you are trying to edit?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
It affects the frequency response. The m50x sounds great, but they have a warm sound, you need to watch the bass and low mids.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Is continuing to save up an option? As a matter of general practice, headphones are nice for a "second opinion" and for getting surgical with finding noise in edits and things like that, but are far less than ideal for mixing.

Save a little more and get a used pair of Behringer Truths or something like that. They'll do you better. As a point of reference, I just upgraded monitors and am selling my old ones (Yorkville YSM1's) for $200. There are deals to be had.

Then spend a little more *as soon as you can* and treat your room with some home-made bass traps and absorbers.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.