Page 1 of 4
Title says it all. Where did they even come from? Did they ever have any truth behind them, maybe back in the 70's or 80's (bear in mind I'm only 15 here)? Was it just angry old men using religion to justify their opinions?

(Keep lying, preachers, but there's no 11th commandment of "thou shalt not indulge in heavy metal")

Personally, I grew up around nu-metal and classic rock, with a bit of classic metal (Ozzy, Metallica, etc.) sprinkled in there. When I first heard heavy metal stereotypes when I was around ten, I couldn't believe it. How could anyone be stupid enough to believe that? No way could listening to Disturbed turn me into a mass-murderer! Liking Linkin Park (back then, not really anymore) didn't make me an angry kid! Slipknot didn't make me a Satanist, I was — and still am — a practising Catholic! How could anyone think Megadeth or Slayer aren't talented? Metal sure as hell hasn't made me stupid; I've been an honours student all my life!

Where did all these bullshit stereotypes come from? As someone who didn't grow up with the greats, I can't help but wonder who started it...
Last edited by toateridax2010 at Jul 11, 2016,
Metal music tends to be contrarian, which asspains some people. They take a look at a Slayer album cover and read the songtitles and instantly consider it blasphemy (nevermind the fact that Tom Araya is a Catholic)
I think the most prevalent stereotypes about metal fans have little to do with Satanism and more with the density and spread of hair on the neck.
Quote by JustRooster
That's a shamanic incantation of truth if I ever heard one.
Tipper Gore and the american conservative right.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I've been to a shitty metal concert before, they deserve every stereotype they get.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
It's a very old tale "these punk kids today"
Goes back way before Jesus, the Old testament, and even Ancient Egypt.

And yeh, the dangers of metal music corrupting our youth went out the window in the 90s with satanic panic.

Then it was the rappers that were the corrupters of youth. Now.....I guess it's like reality TV stars or something idk
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 11, 2016,
Quote by EyeNon15
It's a very old tale "these punk kids today"
Goes back way before Jesus, the Old testament, and even Ancient Egypt.

And yeh, the dangers of metal music corrupting our youth went out the window in the 90s with satanic panic.

Then it was the rappers that were the corrupters of youth. Now.....I guess it's like reality TV stars or something idk

Yeah, meta-contrarianism has been pretty ingrained in our culture.

Last edited by Fat Lard at Jul 11, 2016,
pretty sure these days the only metalhead stereotypes are that they have poor personal hygiene and ugly hair, dress badly and have terrible taste in music

also that they're preachy elitists and/or social rejects, which kind of fuel each other

all of which originate from being pretty frequently true
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Nah, the pretty metal head that gets all the hot chicks stereotype still exist.

The perfectly quaffed blonde hair and eyeliner of the glam metal era is still remembered.

And a good bit of metalcore is tatted out dudes that look like they beat up the social rejects in high school.
Quote by EpiExplorer

Tipper Gore was a Democrat married to a liberal Democrat.
Don't try to pin this on conservatives if you're using Gore as an example.
Funny part is she shut up real fast when Al became Bill's VP pick and they were the first campaign to shoot for the MTV generation.
She virtually disappeared.
lol PMRC
Quote by Fat Lard
Metal music tends to be contrarian, which asspains some people. They take a look at a Slayer album cover and read the songtitles and instantly consider it blasphemy (nevermind the fact that Tom Araya is a Catholic)

I know, it's ridiculous. I've been religious my whole life, but I loathe mainstream Christian music with a passion. Metal does it for me, and it's not Satanic in the slightest.
Quote by TheGroundZero
Tipper Gore was a Democrat married to a liberal Democrat.
Don't try to pin this on conservatives if you're using Gore as an example.
Funny part is she shut up real fast when Al became Bill's VP pick and they were the first campaign to shoot for the MTV generation.
She virtually disappeared.
lol PMRC

Tipper Gore was the face of the 'Parental Advisory' sticker bollocks, she became the face of the trial against Twisted Sister, in which Dee Snider totally wrecked the opposition. In doing so, she drew the 'casual agreement' of that whole 'family friendly' brand of conservatism.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
TS's favorite bands list:

Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Red, Black Veil Brides, We As Human, Avenged Sevenfold, Skillet, Love and Death, Five Finger Death Punch, Dead by Sunrise, Art of Dying,
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 11, 2016,
Quote by Fat Lard
Metal music tends to be contrarian, which asspains some people.

You've stolen the title to my PhD thesis.

Quote by EpiExplorer

NPR's bumper music is Jazz. Michael Savage's bumper music is Metallica. DO NOT conflate the religious right with the conservative right.
Pre or post black album Metallica?

Anything black album or later is basically pop.
Quote by toateridax2010
I know, it's ridiculous. I've been religious my whole life, but I loathe mainstream Christian music with a passion. Metal does it for me, and it's not Satanic in the slightest.

Yeah, 'Christian' music

I'm of the belief that a lot of metal is inherently Christian, even if it doesn't mean to be. Many forget the importance of the Devil's Advocate (as it's been known in the Vatican Church/etc), and (forget what the term is, but Jung describes it as what came after (e.g. operating as both left hand/right hand)): https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1686370
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jul 11, 2016,
Quote by tateandlyle
Pre or post black album Metallica?

Anything black album or later is basically pop.

Shortest Straw and Master of Puppets are his most common tracks.

It's actually an interesting story. I guess his teenage son owned some of their records in the 80s, and Michael took them away assuming they were garbage, but listened to them in his car and loved the music. His son went on to found Rockstar Energy, btw.
Last edited by Rossenrot at Jul 11, 2016,
Quote by Rossenrot
You've stolen the title to my PhD thesis.

NPR's bumper music is Jazz. Michael Savage's bumper music is Metallica. DO NOT conflate the religious right with the conservative right.
michael savage is a garbage person.

is he still on the radio? doing his awful schtick?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Yeah, in fact he just got inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame. He's a nut, but the dude has one hell of a radio voice.
Quote by Fat Lard
Yeah, 'Christian' music

I'm of the belief that a lot of metal is inherently Christian, even if it doesn't mean to be. Many forget the importance of the Devil's Advocate (as it's been known in the Vatican Church/etc), and (forget what the term is, but Jung describes it as what came after (e.g. operating as both left hand/right hand)): https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1686370

Just on a musical level early metal music is very similar to traditional catholic choir music when sheet music alone is compared.
Quote by Rossenrot
Yeah, in fact he just got inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame. He's a nut, but the dude has one hell of a radio voice.
really he often sounds like the part from Seven where they're reading the killer's diaries.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Ze predominant thematic content of metallers eyz deeply embedded in Christian orthodoxy, though it is involves a simple revaluation of notions of good-evil and right-wrong in which aggression and domination are prized as admirable virtues.

and that's my Nietzsche quota for the day
Quote by JustRooster
That's a shamanic incantation of truth if I ever heard one.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
doing his awful schtick?
he talks about more than politics. he gives a lot of good perspective on a lot of different subjects
Quote by mattedbird
he talks about more than politics. he gives a lot of good perspective on a lot of different subjects
i spent years having to listen to him and bob grant and oreilley in my dads car.

i know he talks about other shit. but the moments that stand out to me are still the "im a grumpy old fuck. i saw some kids on the sidewalk today and they made me physically ill." stuff.
Experience the vulgar, life-affirming power of Pantera's Walk. Dimebag Darrel's riffs in that are Ubermensch'd af
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i spent years having to listen to him and bob grant and oreilley in my dads car.

i know he talks about other shit. but the moments that stand out to me are still the "im a grumpy old fuck. i saw some kids on the sidewalk today and they made me physically ill." stuff.
he always says its a family show.....maybe not
The greatest was when Michael Savage would take stock audio if someone important being interviewed.
Then he would dub himself saying things like "uh huh", "that's interesting" tell me more" to make it look like he was the one interviewing the guy.

I do love to hate watch remarkably untalented bums.

Yes and listen
Quote by Rossenrot

not always I've heard Neu!, Fugazi, Bauhaus (to name a few) as bumper music multiple times so let us dispel with this fiction
fun fact:

"Heavy Metal" as a term was coined by Metal Mike Saunders from the punk band Angry Samoans.

git mad metalheads.
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Jul 11, 2016,
The banjo was invented by Africans and has been played by black people a shit ton longer than white people have done it.

Git mad hillbillys
Quote by EyeNon15
The banjo was invented by Africans and has been played by black people a shit ton longer than white people have done it.

Git mad hillbillys
they probably would if they could comprehend a time before 1861
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by jakesmellspoo
fun fact:

"Heavy Metal" as a term was coined by Metal Mike Saunders from the punk band Angry Samoans.

git mad metalheads.

yeah, but metalheads love punk music

Metal is about the celebration of death, evil and the will to power

So if you are a metalhead and you don't fit the stereotype of having a deep-seated lust for violence, wanton destruction and dominating lesser men, you are a false

O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
PLAY AT VOLUME OF ONE THOUSAND ARMAGEDDONS OR DIE

Last edited by severed-metal at Jul 11, 2016,

FUKK YOU
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

FUEL GIMME FIRE GIMME HNGAHNGAHNNG, OOHHH yeah-hehh

Metal's all about DRINKING BREWS, listening to music ALL THE WAY UP, and REBELING. Am I right, my metal compatriots?
Quote by Fat Lard
FUEL GIMME FIRE GIMME HNGAHNGAHNNG, OOHHH yeah-hehh

Metal's all about DRINKING BREWS, listening to music ALL THE WAY UP, and REBELING. Am I right, my metal compatriots?

Rebelling suggests some kind of aim or cause to rebel for, it also has positive connotations. So no, that is not the right word

Page 1 of 4