Hello,

I have a Deluxe Stratocaster® HSS Plus Top With iOS Connectivity (http://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/stratocaster/deluxe-stratocaster-hss-plus-top-with-ios-connectivity/0144730352.html) and I was wonder if I can remove my middle pickup (as I never use it alone) and leave it empty to have that selection on the 5-way switch as a makeshift killswitch. Would this be difficult to do?

(Also this is a side question I've never found an answer to: What is the 3.5mm jack on the side of this guitar used for? I can't seem to figure it out.)

Thanks a lot.
Quote by Mattjaccino

(Also this is a side question I've never found an answer to: What is the 3.5mm jack on the side of this guitar used for? I can't seem to figure it out.)

You do NOT want to use your five-way as a kill switch. Trust me.
Leave your middle pick up there (it's normally not used a lot alone, but it provides two of the classic "quack" Strat sounds.

Your 3.5 mm jack
" lets you expand the sonic possibilities of the world's greatest electric guitar by plugging it straight into iOS devices such as your iPhone, iPad, iPod or computer-with no need for any external devices-for easy recording, editing, monitoring and more. Along with all its other great features, you get superior signal-to-noise ratio and remarkable dynamic range for an exciting and truly state-of-the-art playing experience.

The guitar's built-in USB audio interface is what does the trick. You can always play it as a great-sounding standard HSS Stratocaster, but the USB output and 1/8" stereo headphone output on the side of the lower bout deliver a whole other world of sonic versatility and creativity. Use the included USB mini-B to Lightning cable to connect the guitar directly to your iPhone, iPad or iPod, or use the included USB mini-B to USB Type A cable to connect directly to your Mac or PC (a custom USB mini-B to MFi 30-pin cable for connection to older iPhone, iPad and iPod models is sold separately)."
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 11, 2016,
dspellman Thanks for the advice man, but what do you suppose I should do? I know nothing about wiring or anything like that so install a killswitch would be difficult, plus I would have to drill into the faceplate, which concerns me. Do you know of any guitars with killswitches prebuilt into them?
A killswitch is a switch wired to short across the output jack. Only 2 wires involved. It's probably the simplest wiring mod you can do to a guitar. The only guitar I know of with one of these built-in is a '60s/'70s-era Conrad nameless that I have. It's a slide switch so isn't really suitable to use as a killswitch (pushbuttons are way faster) so I just call it a mute switch. But it does the same thing.

If you really don't want to drill any holes, then you could make a "kill pedal". It's nothing more than a box with 2 jacks wired together and a momentary stomp switch wired across them. Dead simple. But it's not gonna be as fast as a guitar-mounted switch.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jul 12, 2016,
Quote by Mattjaccino
dspellman Thanks for the advice man, but what do you suppose I should do? I know nothing about wiring or anything like that so install a killswitch would be difficult, plus I would have to drill into the faceplate, which concerns me. Do you know of any guitars with killswitches prebuilt into them?

There are a few, including the Buckethead model of the Gibson LP.

I don't care for the standard quad of controls on an LP, so I've got a few of those where I've moved the volume knob toward the bridge/bridge pickup (involves routing). That leaves a hole where the old treble rolloff (tone) used to live, and some of those have kill switches installed. My issue was finding one that wasn't a huge orange gaming machine switch (though those work great and are easy to find while playing) and that didn't add an audible "pop." You can try the ones from Iron Age (http://www.ironageaccessories.com/LED-Guitar-Killswitch-s/102.htm ). As Invader Jim pointed out, it's extremely simple wiring. Google "guitar kill switch" for a raft of options.

You can also simply replace one of your current pots on the strat (some people hate the volume next to the strings) with a kill switch (this one is a Tesi DITO)...

Quote by dspellman
There are a few, including the Buckethead model of the Gibson LP.

I don't care for the standard quad of controls on an LP, so I've got a few of those where I've moved the volume knob toward the bridge/bridge pickup (involves routing). That leaves a hole where the old treble rolloff (tone) used to live, and some of those have kill switches installed. My issue was finding one that wasn't a huge orange gaming machine switch (though those work great and are easy to find while playing) and that didn't add an audible "pop." You can try the ones from Iron Age (http://www.ironageaccessories.com/LED-Guitar-Killswitch-s/102.htm ). As Invader Jim pointed out, it's extremely simple wiring. Google "guitar kill switch" for a raft of options.

You can also simply replace one of your current pots on the strat (some people hate the volume next to the strings) with a kill switch (this one is a Tesi DITO)...

How would I go about replacing one of the pots? There is a Volume knob for the interface that normally doesn't serve a purpose so I would really like to turn it into a killswitch.
Quote by Mattjaccino
How would I go about replacing one of the pots? There is a Volume knob for the interface that normally doesn't serve a purpose so I would really like to turn it into a killswitch.

So here's the question -- you've got this Strat with deluxe features that you have no clue about (the USB recording interface/iOS interface) and you're into tearing out pickups and volume knobs just to have a kill switch on the thing? Why did you buy this thing or "acquire" it in the first place? And have you ever played a guitar with a kill switch? Why are you willing to pull out electronics but not willing to simply have a hole drilled in the pickguard to add the kill switch?

If it's me, I'm finding a spot and drilling the hole.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 12, 2016,
Here's one of mine with the kill switch (just your basic LP-type guitar):

The top two pots from right to left are a master volume and a master tone, and to the left of that, the black dot is a kill switch.

FWIW, directly above the kill switch are the two switches for a Fernandes Sustainer and the bottom two pots are a Sustainer Intensity pot and a Chandler Tone-X (active sweepable mids boost) on a push-pull.
Quote by dspellman
So here's the question -- you've got this Strat with deluxe features that you have no clue about (the USB recording interface/iOS interface) and you're into tearing out pickups and volume knobs just to have a kill switch on the thing? Why did you buy this thing or "acquire" it in the first place? And have you ever played a guitar with a kill switch? Why are you willing to pull out electronics but not willing to simply have a hole drilled in the pickguard to add the kill switch?

If it's me, I'm finding a spot and drilling the hole.

It was a gift; I had nothing to do with choosing it out. I just want a killswitch as something to have some fun with. I hardly ever use the USB and iOS interface anyway, I have a 3.5mm to 1/8" cable that I got before the guitar in case I ever want to get something like that on my computer. I just don't want to chance ruining the finish or pickguard and having to go through a bunch of shit. If I have to take off a knob that I have NEVER used to replace it with something I CAN use, I'm inclined to do that. As for the pickup thing, I was not aware of being able to take out pots and put a killswitch in its place.

I just want someone to either tell me how or give me a good link on how to take out the secondary output Volume pot on a Deluxe Stratocaster® HSS Plus Top w/ iOS Connectivity and install a killswitch. I understand I may be asking a lot and this is not something that has to be done, but I just want something I can have a little fun with.
Last edited by Mattjaccino at Jul 12, 2016,
Quote by Mattjaccino

I just want someone to either tell me how or give me a good link on how to take out the secondary output Volume pot on a Deluxe Stratocaster® HSS Plus Top w/ iOS Connectivity and install a killswitch. I understand I may be asking a lot and this is not something that has to be done,

Okay, you had two hints above (including one link to IronAge). Here's yet another link: https://reverb.com/item/1435392-tesi-dito-24mm-snap-in-arcade-style-pushbutton-guitar-kill-switch-various-colors
Quote by dspellman
Okay, you had two hints above (including one link to IronAge). Here's yet another link: https://reverb.com/item/1435392-tesi-dito-24mm-snap-in-arcade-style-pushbutton-guitar-kill-switch-various-colors
Yes, I appreciate it all, but it this possible for my guitar, seeing as how the specific pot I want to use it not attached to the output jack?
Last edited by Mattjaccino at Jul 12, 2016,
Quote by Mattjaccino
Yes, I appreciate it all, but it this possible for my guitar, seeing as how the specific pot I want to use it not attached to the output jack?

Yes. You will have to follow the wiring directions to put in the kill switch, however.
Mattjaccino
Check out the TESI wiring diagram for taking your strat from VTT down to Kill/Vol/Tone.
You will have to either:
a) Dremel out whatever hole you want to put the kill switch in, OR
b) Spend a couple of bucks on a replacement pickguard so you don't mangle the factory one.

If you contact me through the tesiswitch.com website I have some new Strat pickguards that aren't listed on the site.
Attachments:
Tesi DITO Passive - 3 Single Coil, 1-Vol, 1-Tone.pdf
Last edited by tesiswitch at Sep 8, 2016,
MattjaccinoLet's face it, getting a $20.- killswitch is going to be the best choice because the middle pickup is a very important one in a strat and on top of that, rushing your 5-way back and forth a lot is very bad for the switch itself.
Mattjaccino

To replace your potentiometer for a killswitch, it is as simple as using a file to enlarge the exiting hole.
We've seen this done many times as an alternative to creating an entirely new hole in the pickguard.

Here's just a couple samples of some recent ones:

Like others have said, installation is a breeze which involves just 2 wires for a basic switch.
We've got several guides on our website that you can reference,
as well as a couple great video walk-throughs provided by our partners.

Guides:
http://www.ironageaccessories.com/How-To-Install-Guitar-Killswitch-s/128.htm

This video will show you how to replace a pot for a killswitch:

If you have any questions at all,
feel free to contact us here on UG, through our FB page, or directly from our website.

Thanks for the mention dspellman