After 7 months of playing guitar I am now getting into Little wing. The best song in the universe (srv version ofC)

And this thought crossed my mind. Will simply playing different, "hard" song be enough for me to become a good guitarist?

I started with Stairway to Heaven, Babe, Im gonna Leave you, Nothing else matters. What i would call "big" songs, with alot of different stuff going on. And with a bit warm up i can play all those now until the solo begins (i can play the NEM solo but doesn't sound good yet). And ofc. some smaller things like main parts from Snow, Street Spirit, The Unforgiven, Enter Sandman, Fade To black, Weird Fishes, Reckoner, Kashmir, Smells like teen spirit, Sweet Child O' Mine, Dont Cry etc. I also just play around with some own stuff.

What my problem is: I dont really know what it takes to get "good". What is good? What kind of different things should i learn?
I play without pick and i like fingerpicking way more than SHITCRAPBORING strumming.

Hope to get some good answers here

Thx
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Buddy, if I knew how to become a good player I'd do it myself

Why don't you learn some traditional folk music? Might be a nice change of pace from rock and roll. I started teaching myself "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" last June, and it wasn't easy (I didn't know Travis picking at all and could barely pick in any case). Guess what? I got better. I taught myself to pick, and then hired a teacher to get me over the top on Travis picking. Now....well, I'm not a good player but non-guitarists think I'm amazing

I guess I'm just suggesting you spread your wings a little and try some different music. Seems it would only help your skill level.

TobusRex

lol

Cool song but not quite my thing. So basically what you're saying is: keep doing what you're doing.

That was annoyingly easy.
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Stop worrying about it. You are what you are. Other people will decide what is good and what isn't (and I'm pretty sure you will never be completely happy with what you play - you are your worst critic). And everybody has different standards. Somebody may think you are good when you can play the riff of "Smoke on the Water". Others think "good" means John Petrucci. So just stop worrying about it. You are what you are. You know that you are good when compared to yourself 7 months ago. And you will be good a year later when compared to yourself right now. It's all relative.

When would I start calling somebody a "good guitarist"? I don't think it's really that much of a technique thing (well, you need some technique, but I don't think you need to be an amazing guitarist technically to be considered good). It's more about musicality to me. If you are able to play in a band and your playing in the context of the band/song sounds good, I think then I would call you a good guitarist. Of course if you play simple music, it's easier to sound good than if you play difficult music. But that's the thing - if you play in a band that plays simple music and sound good, that's better than playing in a band that plays complex music and sounding bad.

I think being good is knowing what works and being able to make the song sound good. If what you play sounds musical to my ears, I think I would call you a good guitarist.

"Good" is such a vague term. You may be good at tapping but suck at sweep picking. Or you can be good at shredding like Yngwie Malmsteen but suck at playing funk rhythm guitar. But as I said, I would say you are good when what you play sounds musical to my ears (and it of course also depends on what you play - if you play something that you are really comfortable with playing and know inside out, you will give a much better impression than by playing something that you struggle with).

Just my opinion, others may disagree.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
MagaraMarine makes a great point. Everyone heavily critiques themselves. You'll constantly think you suck even though you may be better now compared to where you were 3 months ago and so on. A typical "good" to me (which is subjective) is being able to play through tunes in your style, be comfortable with playing, and being comfortable with basic concepts that may be in other genres. For example, become comfortable with hybrid picking because a lick you enjoy has it, so you can incorporate it into other tunes.

Quote by mmalvik1
And with a bit warm up i can play all those now until the solo begins

One thing I would recommend is to learn the rhythms UNDER the solos. In some bands with one guitarist, the bassist is typically playing the verse riff, so follow along with that. Even if a solo is "out of your ballpark," it's a lot better to play the entire song through on the rhythm track instead of just stopping because you don't know/can't play the solo.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Last edited by aerosmithfan95 at Jul 13, 2016,
Thx guys! Goodie good answers.

Regarding the solo: Right now I can't play anything but Little Wing, so i kinda lost it with the NEM solo. But it will come back in a couple of weeks i guess.
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112