Hi all,

I have an acoustic guitar that I have 'electfrified' by fitting a passive soundhole pickup into it (Seymour Duncan Woody XL) which I use on stage through the venue PA system (via DI box).

Because it's a passive pickup I need an outboard preamp for it to go on my pedalboard - I have seen tons of them ranging from around £30 up to over £200. I don't really need to be able to tweak my acoustic sound to the n-th degree, I just want a nice, crsip, clean acoustic sound on stage whilst spending as little as possible.

I did try a cheapy one (Artec SE-OE3, cost about £30) which amplified the signal ok but wasn't too sure on the tone and whether a more expensive one would make the acoustic sound significantly better? I am guessing so but not sure.

Can anyone recommend any suitable outboard preamps?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by StevieJK at Jul 13, 2016,
Last edited by Garthman at Jul 13, 2016,
Quote by StevieJK

A preamp's job is to raise the signal level without distortion or coloration. Now, are you sure that's want you want? Some units have EQ built in, in the same way an on board preamp has tone controls. If you're going to EQ at the amp or board, then a simple gain only preamp such as the, MXR "Micro Amp", would do nicely. Plus, it would fit onto your pedal board.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 13, 2016,
You don't need a preamp with a magnetic soundhole pickup, they behave like an electric guitar. If you want some control, eg a bit of reverb, chorus, EQ, you can use an electric guitar stompbox.

EDIT. Or a standard DI box if you have a long cable run.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jul 13, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done

You don't need a preamp with a magnetic soundhole pickup, they behave like an electric guitar. If you want some control, eg a bit of reverb, chorus, EQ, you can use an electric guitar stompbox.

EDIT. Or a standard DI box if you have a long cable run.
Well,a little gain before the effects chain can't hurt. A small preamp at the head of the chain,can excuse log cable runs.

Obviously, this is predicated on the effects being run in a direct to amp configuration, not in an effects loop.

I still like the MXR "Micro Amp, for several reasons. It's rugged, it's quiet, it's simple, and there a little rubber "slipcover" for the gain knob, which you can turn with your foot should the need arise.

Captaincranky

Yes, I agree that the gain can be useful, but I see your MXR as part of the "electric guitar stomp box" option. Are you using it with an unbuffered piezo input? The input impedance is specified as 1M ohm, so I can see it could work OK in that context. I once did some checking on input impedances of stomp boxes, and few would be suitable for an unbuffered piezo, but I can't recall which ones.
Quote by Tony Done

Captaincranky
I'm not using a "Micro Amp,", period. I haven't the need, All of my guitars are on board preamp piezos. I have 2 hybrids, but the mag goes into the preamp anyway... I had one in a previous life, and they're handy little little things. I have a Berhinger (more or less), copy of the MXR. Which is probably as clean as the MXR electronically, but their stomp switches are shit. I expect it would be fine @ < less than 25 bucks, as long as you put it on and leave it on, what could go wrong....Hm.

Although technically, I think you would have to call the Epi EJ-200-SCE, a sort of "hybrid" also. They mix piezo and mag via a blend control also. But, they also split for stereo with a separate output jack.

This may help clarify that system: http://www.epiphone.com/news-features/news/2008/the-esonic-and-esonic2-preamp-systems--acoustic-pe.aspx (But of course, only if you're interested).

The other "hybrids" are semi hollow 12 strings by Crafter. This is the "SAT 12 string which has an active preamp and controls just like a Les: http://guitarhangar.com/Crafter%2012-String%20SAT-12

Here's a picture of my other Crafter 12 string, an "SA" model

This one has a piezo and a SC, with an on board mixing preamp. You can see the outline on the upper right bout.

As to your original question about input impedance, I haven't run into any, but I do have somewhat of a tin ear. I can picture experimenting with the send/return loop of my current amp......(that's a pretty good pun, get back to me if you get it). Even in that configuration, I'm still thick headed enough to want to run the stomp box strobe tuner, right off the guitar.
Try out a Behringer V-Tone Acoustic (ADI-21, I think the number is) I have one on my acoustic pedal board and it is a little piece of magic
Quote by Screaming Dave
...Try out a Behringer V-Tone Acoustic (ADI-21, I think the number is) I have one on my acoustic pedal board and it is a little piece of magic
Berhinger's stuff is electronically stuff is electronically very capable. However, I don't trust their stomp switches at all. I suppose if you're going to leave it switched in all the time, it would be fine. I live in a dusty environment (2 cats, w/ clay clumping litter), and I've had plenty of issues with the footswitches.

They're actually printed circuit switches, not the big mechanical jobbies.
Thanks all.

Problem is, I have used my acoustic without a preamp and sound guys always tell me the passive soundhole pickup is too quiet and they hardly get any signal, hence why I am getting one.

I will check out the MXR and the behringer. Thanks guys.