Hello guys!

So, before the main question, I've been "lurking" in UG for quite a while now, this is technically my first post, so hi everyone

I'm buying a new guitar and I'm currently torn between PRS SE Bernie Marsden and Gibson LP Studio Faded 2016 T. I play a Squier Strat and as you might guess, it definitely needs an upgrade.
I'm leaning more towards the PRS since I'm a fan of the brand, but both guitars look stunning and although both have different tones (from all the videos I've seen from both), I actually like both and both would fit my playstyle.
I'd like to have your opinion on this, which one would be the best in terms of durability, playability and maybe your personal preference. Also open to other options in the same price range.

Thanks!
Guitars:
PRS SE Bernie Marsden
Fender Sonoran SCE

Amp:
Boss Katana 100
Playability is a LOT about the setup (level frets, properly cut nut, properly set bridge), and that's often needed on both guitars after you buy them.
Playability is also about the size/shape of the neck, how well filed the frets are, what the neck heel is like (I'm not a fan of the one on most LPs), what the size of the cutaway might be, and how the guitar hangs in the strap or sits on your leg (an SG pushes everything way over to the left, for example, and is often neck-heavy).

You're not going to cover any of that in a video.

I don't think there's a "durability" factor involved; neither will wear out any time soon.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 13, 2016,
I've wondered myself about the Bernie, it's supposed to be more LP-like than the SE245 I owned up till a short while ago. The SE wide fat neck is hardly anything compared to a Gibsons 50's or RI neck and in the end I just didn't care for the profile on the 245 so I sold it. I've heard the BM is beefier but I honestly wouldn't know. The SE245 OUS though are nothing special (modern and generic) but certainly not bad. The workmanship is likely higher on a guitar by guitar basis than a Gibson Studio Faded. It's hard to keep up with Gibson USA specs as they seem to change as the wind blows so I have no idea what a Studio T is..... The nut on the SE needed work (slots too deep, nut too high, slots too thin for the 9-42 gauge strings on it which I changed to 10-46). Likely the Gibson will need some minor setup as well. The heel and access is better on an SE than a normal USA cutaway but Gibson did introduce some reduced heel models this year so who knows.
I do think the amount of guitar you get from the PRS SE line is very good. I would recommend trying several of both before buying.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 14, 2016,
Quote by KenG
I've wondered myself about the Bernie, it's supposed to be more LP-like than the SE245 I owned up till a short while ago. The SE wide fat neck is hardly anything compared to a Gibsons 50's or RI neck and in the end I just didn't care for the profile on the 245 so I sold it. I've heard the BM is beefier but I honestly wouldn't know. The SE245 OUS though are nothing special (modern and generic) but certainly not bad. The workmanship is likely higher on a guitar by guitar basis than a Gibson Studio Faded. It's hard to keep up with Gibson USA specs as they seem to change as the wind blows so I have no idea what a Studio T is..... The nut on the SE needed work (slots too deep, nut too high, slots too thin for the 9-42 gauge strings on it which I changed to 10-46). Likely the Gibson will need some minor setup as well. The heel and access is better on an SE than a normal USA cutaway but Gibson did introduce some reduced heel models this year so who knows.
I do think the amount of guitar you get from the PRS SE line is very good. I would recommend trying several of both before buying.
The models with the carved heel are HP rather than T. T is pretty much 'traditional' with HP being 'high performance'. The big differences are the HP's carved heel, adjustable nut, slightly wider fingerboard(string spacing remains the same), more 'modern' voiced pickups and the automatic tuner-majig. They're generally a good bit more expensive than the T variant of the same series.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Jul 16, 2016,
In my opinion the Bernie Marsden is a nicer guitar.

They're an exceptional value if you can find one used, too. You can get them for about $400, which leaves a ton of room for upgrades and mods compared to new.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I haven't seen many used BMs for sale here and they're discontinued now which is a shame IMO.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 16, 2016,
I've decided to go for the PRS BM, I think it fits me better, on its way already
Thanks everyone!
Guitars:
PRS SE Bernie Marsden
Fender Sonoran SCE

Amp:
Boss Katana 100
Quote by KenG
I haven't seen many used BMs for sale here and they're discontinued now which is a shame IMO.

Easy enough to find on eBay.

@OP: Congrats dude! I've got an SE Custom 24 myself and after swapping the tuners the thing is truly badass.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by thunderlolz
I've decided to go for the PRS BM, I think it fits me better, on its way already
Thanks everyone!

Congratulations!
We'll expect a NGD and pics when it arrives!
Moving on.....
Congrats.From an interview i saw with Bernie the neck on his PRS sig is based on the neck of his 59' LP 'The Beast' and he reckons they got it very close.I have considered picking one of those up before in one of my gas periods.
Quote by KenG
Congratulations!
We'll expect a NGD and pics when it arrives!

Will do, as soon as my fingers need a little rest from the testing ahah x)
Guitars:
PRS SE Bernie Marsden
Fender Sonoran SCE

Amp:
Boss Katana 100