Song 2
1 25%
Song 3
1 25%
Song 4
1 25%
Voters: 4.
O shit waddup

Some mad-ass 70's covers coming next week (or if you haven't submitted yet, it's this week. Do it now. pls.)

The objective of this thread is to vote on the song you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "Work Sucks" (chev311e)

2 - "Fireworks (Edit)" (seventh_angel)

3 - "Yami=1 (The Quiet Man Sings)" (SirZep)

4 - "Wasted Love" (xTURTLENECKx)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

The poll is a lie.

Quote by seventh_angel
(Somehow his quote isn't showing, maybe because I changed it by deleting some parts of it...
He said "I voted for Turtleneck, and meant to vote for SirZep ")

Here are the real results:

Song 1, by chev311e ------------------------------------------------------ 1 vote

Song 2, by seventh_angel ---------------------------------------------- 1 vote

Song 3, by SirZep ------------------------------------------------------------------- 2 votes

Song 4, by xTURTLENECKx ------------------------------------- 0 votes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's last time's most voted song,
from xTURTLENECKx, it's "Everybody Says (You're Wrong)"!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Monday (post your song for next week meanwhile). The winner of this week's voting will be a mod in our group.

------------------
Dan Dan

Check out last week's thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1703864
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Jul 20, 2016,
xTURTLENECKx - I really like the dream pop-ish vibe this had, and I really enjoyed the melody you were aiming for, but you're voice is off most of the times, which is nothing that making other takes can't solve.

chev311e - Very 90's alt-rock, which is not a sound I'm very fond of, so I'm biased to begin with, sorry. I do like the wall of rhythm guitars in the background building this nice noise.

SirZep - Nice ! Overall, pretty well written song. If I had to nitpick, I'd say that I think the claps didn't really fit in with the rest of the song/felt a bit odd. Also, I think the spoken parts are too loud in the mix. But again, nitpicking.

Went for SirZep.
1. chevelle- the production here is great, glad you got your drums working. awesome vibe, I'm always a sucker for that style of music

2. seventh: big ups on production here too. I dig the dynamics of the song and the performances are pretty great

3. BELIEVE IN THE HEART OF THE CARDS YUG- ahem, I mean yeah nice song. what pedal is that, some sort of feedback pedal? I thought it was an ebow at first. seventh is kinda right that the claps sound weird, if only because they sound like they're from an 808. but yeah cool

4. there's something really endearing about this, I kinda disliked it at first but when the vocals and the pads came in it really grew on me. it's like a shootout between the 80s and the 90s, good stuff.

voted for nico because sansa is so damn attractive
Last edited by whywefight at Jul 15, 2016,
Thanks, wwf.

That song was actually my final project for my course. I played everything ( with help on the chorus ) in the school studio and had to mix and master it.

In the presentation, the biggest complaint I got was regarding the mix, although, unfortunately, very little input was given to me as to what could improve. I'm sure a lot could be done, because I found it all incredibly difficult to mix with all the different dynamics of the song. Still, I know I've done my best ( I wanted to record backing vocals with different harmonies, but didn't have time for that unfortunately ), but I know I still have a long way to go in order to get a mix that mirrors what I'm aiming for.
Last edited by seventh_angel at Jul 16, 2016,
Quote by whywefight
3. BELIEVE IN THE HEART OF THE CARDS YUG- ahem, I mean yeah nice song. what pedal is that, some sort of feedback pedal? I thought it was an ebow at first. seventh is kinda right that the claps sound weird, if only because they sound like they're from an 808. but yeah cool

if you're talking about the intro - it's a synth soundfont thingy put through a guitar amp preset
and about the claps, I'll have you know that I did those myself, and they require lots of talent
ah I hear that synth now lmao

I don't believe you about the claps >_>
Quote by seventh_angel
Thanks, wwf.

That song was actually my final project for my course. I played everything ( with help on the chorus ) in the school studio and had to mix and master it.

In the presentation, the biggest complaint I got was regarding the mix, although, unfortunately, very little input was given to me as to what could improve. I'm sure a lot could be done, because I found it all incredibly difficult to mix with all the different dynamics of the song. Still, I know I've done my best ( I wanted to record backing vocals with different harmonies, but didn't have time for that unfortunately ), but I know I still have a long way to go in order to get a mix that mirrors what I'm aiming for.

what course was that for? I'm pretty jealous
Last edited by whywefight at Jul 16, 2016,
I'm doing a course in Sound ( actually, I did; I did the final 110 exam yesterday and I passed, which was pretty cool ); an official course from Avid, even though the only thing they influence is that we use Pro Tools and have a final exam on it. Last year I did the 101.

Basically, what we did on the first year was kinda more theoretic. Both years start off with the theory of sound, like, you learn how sound behaves in rooms and outside, and you kinda learn how to build a studio in terms of sound behaviour in it. Then we had live sound, where we learned how to EQ the PA, how to do soundchecks, how to mix live. Then we had mastering where we learned fuck all because the teacher was terrible. Then we had two final projects in the studio: one where we recorded bands that worked mostly acoustically; the other where we recorded personal projects. And yeah, that was it. Last year's final project was just recording a band of our choice, who could play for us. All final projects are recorded, mixed and mastered by us.

But yeah, it's that in a nutshell. I really liked doing it and learned a lot, but, even so, it's kind of lacking in terms of evaluation and improvement. Like, what I really like is to record and to produce, and, in terms of producing, I received very little input to improve. Like, everything I improved throughout the course was mostly stuff the I reached conclusions on my own, which kind of sucks, if you ask me.
That's the thing; they're all professionals

My school is against having purely theoretical teachers. The guy who taught the live part is actually the sound engineer of the "biggest band in Portugal". Many """"""""" in there because they suck ass, but yeah.
I usually know what I'm doing
But still I am.........

TRIFONAS the internet's roomie
Check out on Sunday:

• Reviews on new UG Funk week tracks
  • More about music (or actually muzak?) history AND theory
  • Lessons for the heart that transcend the mind
  • Politics and my opinions

Here on UG on his last ever OFFICIAL REVIEW
Yours truly,
Me

(Find out about my socks on tomorrow's segment)
Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.
Quote by seventh_angel
The guy who taught the live part is actually the sound engineer of the "biggest band in Portugal". Many """"""""" in there because they suck ass, but yeah.
Now I'm curious, who's the biggest band in Portugal?
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Jul 17, 2016,
Yeah, thought it was Xutos when I read the post, and yes they do suck ass.
Last edited by sickman411 at Jul 17, 2016,
Speaking of live sound engineering, yesterday I went to a show and the highs were too damn high . Also there was a shit ton of distortion where there shouldn't be any, probably because the volume was too high, but idk because I'm not a sound engineer (reggae show)

(I'm not actually into reggae but went because of one of my friends )

Nobody cares about this but I kept writing and only realized it would be boring to read midway through but whatever. Here's a penguin: <(")
There are so many incompetent sound engineers out there. Sometimes, it's the venue's fault, but in that case, it doesn't sound like it is.

But you don't need to go so far ( I don't know how small that show was ), but the sound in most of Primavera Sound was terrible. Two of the stages had too much bass and another one had a lot in the mid-high area, but in that case, I think it was the stage's fault.
I'm a sound engineer and I can vouch for our incompetence. What I hate the most is the louder = better mentality in live shows, I've gone to shows where I had to leave the main area because it was painful to listen

also, dat tie
Last edited by nico_9550 at Jul 17, 2016,