What are your opinions of them? I knew for a while that Wampler's delay was arguably the best. After buying the Triple Wreck, I really had a lot of respect for Wampler. Wampler has quite a few pedals in its lineup, but not too many stores carry them around me. Have any of you tried them out and liked them? If you did, which ones did you like?
nice stuff. I really like their ego compressor a lot. their 'amp in a box' pedals are pretty good across the board.

Maybe a little more than i would like to spend to be honest, I am on the malekko, cmatmods, pigtronix, fulltone, etc level of things, that you can pick up for under or around $100 used.

If i were looking for an 'amp in the box' thing, they would be the first brand i would look into.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've played a bunch. I know that their 'amp in a box' pedals are what put them on the map, but I was not impressed by any of them. The SLOStortion, PlexiDrive, 30Something, and Black 65 did not work at all for me, and I tend to like those kind of pedals. A lot of people love those Wamplers, and I didn't get to try them on a huge range of amps, but across the board they were a disappointment.

The Tape Echo is quite good, though. I love envelope controlled stuff like the tape modulation, but to be honest the delay market is way competitive and I wouldn't look to Wampler for my next delay or reverb or whatever, because they're a bit short on features compared to what you can get these days. I would not at all agree that it's "arguably the best," it does one thing really well that very few other pedals do, but at the end of the day it's one tape echo simulator in a pack of other really good tape echo sims, most of which are either cheaper but just as good (Belle Epoch) or more expensive but far more flexible (El Capistan). I guess you can always argue that some pedal or the other is the 'best' but the Wampler doesn't stand out in that way to me.

So it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. Some of their stuff is really neat, some of it I thought wasn't very good, none of it is high on my list but I can see the appeal. I agree that they're on the pricey side.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Jul 14, 2016,
The Ace Thirty/Thirty Something pedal is a pretty good AC30 amp-in-a-box pedal- kinda looking at it for myself.. I know people like their Treiple Wreck.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I liked the wreck and the pinnacle. the slostortion was just OK.

I do want the ego though. some day. lol
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The ego mini looks really good, and I like the idea of some of their OD's, although I've had more experience with Keeley pedals
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
His pedals are excellent. Whether you like them aurally or not is personal and tied to your preferences in sound.

As one of my friends used to say, "It's all a matter of taste. Or the lack of it."

Most of his pedals do well through an amp that's predisposed to like pedals (clean Fenders are great for this). If you already have an amp that has a lot of "personality," it's going to be tougher for any pedal to offer all that it has. And, too, he's making pedals for small segments of a very wide range audience; some will obviously prefer some of his pedals to others. That's by design. I think he's doing a great job.
I second Dspellman's post. I have the Sovereign and it's great. Between the two OD settings (switchable Hi/Lo ) the Brite/normal switch, the Mid control in addition to the High control I have found the amount of boost and distortion goes from none to anything but metal settings and the tone can be varied a lot more than simply cutting the highs as in most cheaper pedals. It's very articulate and responsive to both pick attack and volume control too. I set my amps sparkly clean and switch on the pedal for OD and as I roll back the volume it cleans up quite nicely. Dead quite with an AC Adapter too! (I use an old BOSS adapter).
As a career senior technologist I can attest to the quality of the unit and materials used as well having popped the hood on this thing as soon as I got it.
Moving on.....
They are so expensive, because they are handmade in the USA. I first heard of Wampler by looking at Eric Johnson's rig. He used the Wampler Faux Tape Echo with Tap Tempo. I never used it, but it sounds great. Reviews are good, too. The owner of Wampler said that you can just get a $1000 amp and just add pedals to sound like other amps instead of buying new amps. I kind of agree with him. I want to try to the Catapulp and Sovereign in the future. It seems like distortion is the only effect you need to buy pedals to attain, because software can do just about everything else.
For what it's worth, Eric Johnson is using the Belle Epoch now (actually several of them) which are also made in the USA and significantly cheaper. That doesn't detract at all from the Wamplers, but neither does being expensive, handmade, or from the USA mean that they're a superior or even an unusual product.

Different strokes, etc., and Wampler certainly pushed the Amp in a Box genre forward in a major way. There are a few in their lineup that I'd still like to try, and I don't feel like my experience with their pedals is common. They're clearly quite good but most of them don't seem to be my flavor.
I really like the Black '65 for that very low gain pushed sound. While I haven't had a chance to try it out personally, the Dual Fusion seems killer as well, although Tom Quayle's playing is a big factor in it sounding amazing without a doubt. The tremolo also sounds good and offers a nice range of options.
Quote by Roc8995
For what it's worth, Eric Johnson is using the Belle Epoch now (actually several of them) which are also made in the USA and significantly cheaper.

Three, last I checked.

OTOH, Catalinbread doesn't do many amp-in-a-box pedals. They have a couple- the Sabra Cadabra and RAH spring to mind as being tasty exemplars- but they beg a question of me: does making that kind of pedal require a bit of extra time tweaking to get them to sound just so? If that is the case, that could translate into higher production costs.

Or maybe Wampler just has a higher markup.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
OTOH, Catalinbread doesn't do many amp-in-a-box pedals. They have a couple- the Sabra Cadabra and RAH spring to mind as being tasty exemplars- but they beg a question of me: does making that kind of pedal require a bit of extra time tweaking to get them to sound just so?.

Probably - I would assume that they spend a lot more time tweaking for a wide range of amps, since unlike other drives these are expected to perform a certain specific way regardless of what it's plugged into. Same thing with input signals - amp in a box pedals are likely under more scrutiny to act a certain way with a drive or boost in front. For what it's worth, I had a WIIO and a RAH and ended up selling those as well, so I haven't had much more luck with Catalinbread than with Wampler in the amp-in-a-box department.
Roc8995, a Hayden Mofo 30, an Orange TH30 and a Mesa LoneStar. A guy I know had that pedal and used it through his Hayden. Tried the pedal through the LoneStar and Orange I had at the time and it sounded really good, more so on the Mesa than the Orange. If I didn't already have 4 drive pedals (and a great drive channel on the LoneStar) at the time, I probably would've gotten it. I do have to say we both were more in favour of using it more as a clean boost. Something like a BB Preamp or an AC Booster would've done the same thing as good if not better I think.

Now that I think of it, the Soul Food probably did the job just as fine. Then again, a good amp does most of the work in that use of a pedal anyway in my opinion.
Here's the key question: how much experience have you had with the amps the pedals model as compared to the pedals? If you have a lot of experience with the real thing, the pedals may not do it for you.

Quote by I K0nijn I
Roc8995, a Hayden Mofo 30, an Orange TH30 and a Mesa LoneStar. A guy I know had that pedal and used it through his Hayden. Tried the pedal through the LoneStar and Orange I had at the time and it sounded really good, more so on the Mesa than the Orange. If I didn't already have 4 drive pedals (and a great drive channel on the LoneStar) at the time, I probably would've gotten it. I do have to say we both were more in favour of using it more as a clean boost. Something like a BB Preamp or an AC Booster would've done the same thing as good if not better I think.

Now that I think of it, the Soul Food probably did the job just as fine. Then again, a good amp does most of the work in that use of a pedal anyway in my opinion.

That was my problem with it too. It only sounded decent to me at low gain, and at that point there's almost nothing to differentiate it from any number of cheaper options.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Here's the key question: how much experience have you had with the amps the pedals model as compared to the pedals? If you have a lot of experience with the real thing, the pedals may not do it for you.

SLOStortion: Never played a real SLO, so perhaps I just don't like that voice and the pedal is spot on.
Plexidrive: Played plenty of Marshalls, nearly all of their lineup for the last 5-10 years and a fair number of old ones. I tend to get along well with Marshall in a Box type pedals, and the Wampler is one of my least favorite. I feel I could be fair with this one, especially since I played it side by side with an Ecstasy Blue and a Crunch Box. I'd be willing to toss the results for all the other Wamplers I've tried for one reason or another, but this one got a fair shake in front of a Twin and a Deluxe Reverb right next to some of its direct competitors and I feel it didn't measure up.
30Something: I am a total nut for Vox type amps. I buy EL84s about as often as I buy strings. This may mean I was expecting too much, but it may also mean that I'd like it more if it got anywhere near the Vox tones I love so much. We won't know for sure until someone mails me a Catalinbread Galileo (PM for address).
Black 65 - I don't much go for Fender OD so this one was probably never going to impress me much.

Again, not to disparage Wampler at all. I don't mean to imply that these won't work beautifully for someone else. I just couldn't get excited by any of them, which is a disappointment because they've obviously got a strong lineup. If they were less expensive and more readily available to try in stores, I'd happily recommend that others give them a shot when they fit the need, but as it is I think there are other, cheaper options that perform better in my experience.
Sounds to me like you're being damn fair.

(Not mailing you a Gallileo, though. )

I have to agree the prices are really steep and they're higher than I remember. At 250-300 euros, you can buy some really nice stuff that outdoes Wampler in my opinion.
Another thing with the OD's they do is they make SO many, so you really need to know exactly what each OD's raison d'etre is
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I suppose one true thing that can be said is that a piece of gear may be well made & highly recommended...and still not be right for your rig.