How's it going UG? Thinking about playing again, I sold all of my gear so I'll have to re-purchase everything. I used to have a Crate GFX-15 and Boss MD-2 which I was very happy with.

My situation is different now, I live in a very small space with my wife and baby. With that said, I will be using headphones 95% of the time. I will probably purchase the MD-2 pedal regardless of amp. I was wondering about the micro amps such as the Marshall MS2/4, etc in the $100 and lower price range. I know I can get the same amp I had before used in that price range, but the physical size would pose a storage problem. How much would the sound quality through the headphones differ? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Micro amps like the Marshall mini stacks are toys more than anything else. They're not supposed to be seriously considered as a viable option for a guitar amp. The amp lacks the power and the cabinets are way too tiny to reproduce a whisper of low end. So unless you want you guitar to sound like a walkie talkie from the dollar store, look elsewhere.

If your budget is really that restrictive, your best option might only be to get a used Line 6 POD Bean or something similar. Keep a healthily low level of expectation for how good it'll sound. Nothing in that price range is going be great.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 14, 2016,

Stay away from the POD!

If you're using headphones 95% of the time... why not just use virtual amps on your laptop/pc? They've 1000x better than any cheap amp and since it's for home use... do you really need an amp? You would also save money on pedals this way too, as they often bundle it in. Even Garageband's stock guitar sounds will destroy any cheap amp for headphone use.

For situations like this I really must recommend getting like a Focusrite 2i2 audio interface, and like Reaper/Cubase Elements LE8/BIAS Fx or something instead. You'll save a lot of money in the long run, they sound better for home use, you can record what you're playing, and you'll have access to a lot more sounds and tones than you normally would
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991

Stay away from the POD!

Why? A POD HD bean is pretty much perfect for what he's asking.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Line 6 POD, Korg Pandora, Boss Micro BR, Tascam GT and other portable digital modelers or MFX units with headphone jacks would be perfect for someone planning on using headphones 90+% of the time.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Because the POD is shit? I can't believe I even have to type that statement, isn't it just a known fact?

For the same price you could get Cubase Elements LE8, a Focusrite audio interface, and BIAS FX desktop. Who in their right mind would ever choose the POD over that?

You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Who in their right mind would ever choose the POD over that?

Well, how many of those things you list will fit in a HSC or gig bag? Run on a couple of AA or AAA batteries? Etc. Hard to use the devices you listed in the city park or overlooking a lake.

PDMs have their strengths.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, how many of those things you list will fit in a HSC or gig bag? Run on a couple of AA or AAA batteries? Etc. Hard to use the devices you listed in the city park or overlooking a lake.

PDMs have their strengths.

Yeah, I guess I must have missed all of that - but that happens when he doesn't list that any of that in his post. Shit, stupid me.

If you wanna play guitar in the city park or by the lake or whatever, go buy an acoustic guitar and a fedora. If you want to play an electric guitar and have it sound good for next to no money in comparison to an amp worth having, then my option is the best.

Also, if you have a macbook or a laptop with a decent sound card/audio interface inside it, you can even run the guitar straight in and use the laptop speakers if you really want to. It'll still sound better than the mother fucking POD or the mini-marshall stack toy things at least
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Hehe, lots of spirited opinions on this.

Headphones? A POD can work great if you spend the time to tweak it to taste. If you are not tech savy at all, a POD may be beyond your ability to use. It depends on your budget and guitar desires but virtual amp sims can work great too if you have a reasonably modern computer. A new Macbook Pro is about $1500 over your stated budget though.

I vote POD, youtube trash reviews notwithstanding.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Hehe, lots of spirited opinions on this.

Headphones? A POD can work great if you spend the time to tweak it to taste. If you are not tech savy at all, a POD may be beyond your ability to use. It depends on your budget and guitar desires but virtual amp sims can work great too if you have a reasonably modern computer. A new Macbook Pro is about $1500 over your stated budget though.

I vote POD, youtube trash reviews notwithstanding.

I can't believe people are actually pushing anything Line 6 that's under like $600, it's like people never learnt from the Spyder. That's what I find so confusing

Another option is just using your phone, and get an app on there along with a jack converter. I mean that's probably the cheapest of all. I imagine you already have a smartphone, the apps costs what $5-10? The adapter $5-10? Still better than the POD.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Everyone here so far has recommended a pod for this use case except you. After a while, you might want to stop trying to laugh at other people and think why that is.

Yeah, Line 6's spyder series is awful. Their pod series, however, are probably the best low/medium end digital modeller.

You can also go the computer modeller route, but I've found those to be fairly high in delay and all-around about the same quality, but with none of the specificity. (Aka, there are some good ones, but they can be tricky to find and work and each one is up and down at their own niche)
Quote by Anthony1991
Because the POD is shit? I can't believe I even have to type that statement, isn't it just a known fact?

For the same price you could get Cubase Elements LE8, a Focusrite audio interface, and BIAS FX desktop. Who in their right mind would ever choose the POD over that?

I like Glenn Fricker, but his "Fearless Gear Reviews" are pretty bad. They are completely biased, and honestly, the whole point of them is to talk shit about the product he's reviewing. Basically, his mind was already made up before he started, so to me there isn't a lot of value in that except for entertainment value. It's definitely not a basis for whether or not someone would want to buy one or not. Also, let me add that he compared the POD to a Rev Generator. Are you kidding me? He compared a used $100 POD to a $5000 tube amp? It's just as bad as paid good reviews. It's misleading and dishonest. In fact, how much experience do YOU have with any of this gear? So far all you've done is regurgitate Glenn's review.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Anthony1991

Nonsense.

As to price, it's your honest contention that you can get all that for ~$100-150 (which is what used POD HD beans often go for.)
Charles Darwin
Quote by tfizzle20
Everyone here so far has recommended a pod for this use case except you. After a while, you might want to stop trying to laugh at other people and think why that is.

Yeah, Line 6's spyder series is awful. Their pod series, however, are probably the best low/medium end digital modeller.

You can also go the computer modeller route, but I've found those to be fairly high in delay and all-around about the same quality, but with none of the specificity. (Aka, there are some good ones, but they can be tricky to find and work and each one is up and down at their own niche)

Yeah, quantitive data is always more valuable than qualititive data

They're not the best low/medium end digital modeller, there's plenty of others that other the same shit for less - as previously mentioned, all of those mobile apps. I'm not laughing at people, I'm actively trying to prevent people from wasting their money on something that is so god awful that it's an insult to even buy one for the asking price, even used prices are an insult.

You clearly have no experience with the computer modeller route then, because all of that is simply untrue... even 5+ years ago. These days there's zero delay and infinitely higher quality, honestly I just can't take your opinion seriously because it's significantly lacking in up to date information.

Cubase Elements LE8 = $90
Used Focusrite Audio Interface = $50-80?

You don't even have to use BIAS FX then if you wan't the save an incredible $80... you can just use Cubase's own VSTs - which have more than a handful of actually usable ones.

With this you can record, mix, master, and play with high quality amp tones/instruments. With the POD you can't record, you can't mix, you can't master, and you sure as hell won't be playing with high quality amp tones/instruments.

Honestly I am stunned that people are even debating my suggestions on the belief that the POD would sound better. It's frankly hilarious.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Last edited by Anthony1991 at Jul 15, 2016,
Quote by Anthony1991
Yeah, quantitive data is always more valuable than qualititive data

They're not the best low/medium end digital modeller, there's plenty of others that other the same shit for less - as previously mentioned, all of those mobile apps. I'm not laughing at people, I'm actively trying to prevent people from wasting their money on something that is so god awful that it's an insult to even buy one for the asking price, even used prices are an insult.

You clearly have no experience with the computer modeller route then, because all of that is simply untrue... even 5+ years ago. These days there's zero delay and infinitely higher quality, honestly I just can't take your opinion seriously because it's significantly lacking in up to date information.

Cubase Elements LE8 = $90
Used Focusrite Audio Interface = $50-80?

You don't even have to use BIAS FX then if you wan't the save an incredible $80... you can just use Cubase's own VSTs - which have more than a handful of actually usable ones.

With this you can record, mix, master, and play with high quality amp tones/instruments. With the POD you can't record, you can't mix, you can't master, and you sure as hell won't be playing with high quality amp tones/instruments.

Honestly I am stunned that people are even debating my suggestions on the belief that the POD would sound better. It's frankly hilarious.

I've got significant experience with both worlds and don't agree with your assessment.

Either method can be used to create decent tone. PC based systems win on flexibility and future-proofing, the POD wins (and it's not even a close comparison) on portability, convenience and price.
Charles Darwin
I managed to get a decent tone out of a Digitech RP100 when my effects loop jack got messed up on my VH140 giving me a permanent clean channel. The RP100 was a quick fix to get me through for a short time until I was able to fix it. If I can get a decent tone out of that POS, then anyone can get a decent tone out of a POD. Just because Glenn Fricker was unable (or unwilling) to get a decent tone out of it, doesn't mean its crap. It's like Mike Muir said, "Just 'cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense, and just 'cause you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good."

I think it's pretty obvious that Glenn has an axe to grind with Line 6. I don't know if they snubbed him or what, but it seems that he is targeting their products on purpose. I'm also not sure how Glenn's review amounts to quantitative data since there were a number of flaws in his review with the obvious one being his comparison to the Revv Generator.

To the TS, another option would be the Peavey Vypryr VIP1 where you could get a small modeling amp with onboard effects that you can plug headphones into, as well as plug into your computer for an additional modeling interface and recording ability.

Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Arby911
I've got significant experience with both worlds and don't agree with your assessment.

Either method can be used to create decent tone. PC based systems win on flexibility and future-proofing, the POD wins (and it's not even a close comparison) on portability, convenience and price.

Yeah man, I'm sure you have lots of experience, I'm totally convinced by everything you've said so far.

Anyway, I've had enough of this. If you think the POD sounds good, then good for you
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991

Yeah man, I'm sure you have lots of experience, I'm totally convinced by everything you've said so far.

Anyway, I've had enough of this. If you think the POD sounds good, then good for you

Right, because implying that I'm lying supports your case how, exactly? Several respected posters here have disagreed with you, it's not like I'm a lone crusader.

So instead of the nonsensical pseudo-rebuttal, how about you tell us why you're right and we're wrong?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Anthony1991

If you want to make your point, kindly stop with the put-on incredulity and implicit attacks on the validity of other people's views in place of serious points.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by Anthony1991

Stay away from the POD!

If you're using headphones 95% of the time... why not just use virtual amps on your laptop/pc? They've 1000x better than any cheap amp and since it's for home use... do you really need an amp? You would also save money on pedals this way too, as they often bundle it in. Even Garageband's stock guitar sounds will destroy any cheap amp for headphone use.

For situations like this I really must recommend getting like a Focusrite 2i2 audio interface, and like Reaper/Cubase Elements LE8/BIAS Fx or something instead. You'll save a lot of money in the long run, they sound better for home use, you can record what you're playing, and you'll have access to a lot more sounds and tones than you normally would

GO FOR THE POD!

With the setup recommended here, you're actually spending for the Focusrite interface (about $125) *and* you're tying up a computer (laptop, whatever, and how much did that cost you?), plugging in a bunch of software and cables, finding a place for the laptop, booting up the software and then playing. You really want to include the cost and the bulk of a laptop computer in this assessment, because without it you can't make a sound.

Buy a used Pod XT or X3 bean for $80 and you're done. Plug it into the wall, plug your guitar and headphones into the Pod and play. The tuner is onboard, there's room for a ton of presets and lots more available online that you can load in and not have to cart a computer with you should you decide to play somewhere else. If you play out somewhere, you run a cable from the Pod to a mixer and play. If you need a foot pedal, you can pick up the FBV Express or Shortboard ($99 and $199, respectively, new, or about half that used), and both will allow you to have a down-front switching system, tuner, tap tempo AND expression pedal with only a relatively cheap ethernet cable running between them and the Pod in the backline. Both will also send MIDI signals as required, etc.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 15, 2016,
Quote by Anthony1991

Guess not. There are people who've done whole albums with them, including folks like Neal Schon and Dino Cazares. Wonder how the hell they managed that!?

Quote by Anthony1991

Okay, I have all of those bits sitting in a pile in front of me. But no sound is coming out. Oh, wait, I need to have a computer with me as well? Huh. Doesn't that alter the price (and the packability) of that whole thing slightly?

You did the same thing with the smartphone interface. Yeah, I've got a smartphone, but the last I checked, my iPhone was a $749 bit of kit.

Look, the truth is that if the TS wanted to do all of that, he could have started with a Korg Pandora Mini or a PX5D. The PX5D is bigger than a pack of cigarettes (slightly), the Mini smaller. Works off battery. The Mini is about $99 all up. Amps/cabs/FX all built in. On the PX5D: A metronome, a phrase trainer, a slower-downer, a pitch changer, a tuner, an auxiliary for input of MP3, a place to plug in your headphones and your guitar, a place to plug in an AC adapter, a USB bus for recording. You need to have a computer if you're going to record, but not for anything else.

Thanks guys, lots of good suggestions in here. I saw a Blackstar Fly3 at my local music shop and was half tempted to try it out. No, I'm not going to be playing outside or being mobile. I do have a decent laptop and iPhone, however I have no interest in using ether of those while playing.

For simplicity's sake, I decided to pick up another little Crate and pedal. I was wondering if it would be safe to run the amp flat on its back, "knobs up" while in use? That would help with the physical size, and ease of use.
Quote by Anthony1991

That is the sound of a small animal walking away with its tail between its legs, quietly whimpering in defeat after realizing just how small of an animal it is. Great thread.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Actually just discovered another reason to like portable digital modelers: because they are battery operated, you can safely use them during bad weather.

Our city was just pummeled by some bad thunderstorms, and there was a lot of wind damage to our neighborhood. Our next door neighbor's house was actually hit by lightning. When this happened, we could feel the pressure wave and our power went out. Our neighbor lost many of his electrical devices. Do not know how his bass amp fared.

I, OTOH, played through the blackout.

Quote by guitarkid8

For simplicity's sake, I decided to pick up another little Crate and pedal. I was wondering if it would be safe to run the amp flat on its back, "knobs up" while in use? That would help with the physical size, and ease of use.

Depends on the amp but generally you would be fine. The only real concern would be excessive heat buildup and if you're not cranking it hard that won't be much of a problem.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Depends on the amp but generally you would be fine. The only real concern would be excessive heat buildup and if you're not cranking it hard that won't be much of a problem.

Thanks, can't wait to get my gear and start playing again.
Quote by Anthony1991

Quote by Anthony1991

please, cite your experience.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/