Page 1 of 3
So the 2016 US presidential election has been getting me down recently. Not because of any candidate in particular or any certain events that have happened, but because I've come to realize that most people form their opinions (which many seem to be VERY passionate about) based on reading biased news articles via Facebook, or comments on such news articles that they have absolutely NO way of verifying. Whether you support Clinton, Trump, Sanders, Stein, or any other candidate, there are thousands of articles that are tailored to your specific biases which you can use to justify your reasoning. Clinton has people murdered, Trump is a rapist, Sanders is too idealistic, Stein has no credibility, etc.

In 2016, how is anyone supposed to be able to know what is truth and what is just a bunch of a bullshit? Probably 90% of us get the vast majority of our information from the internet, and form our opinions not only based on news articles written by who the fuck knows, but also on comments on those articles from strangers that, for all we know, have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. How do we determine fact from fiction?

I honestly don't know how I'm going to vote this election, because everything is kind of just making my head spin at the moment. And that has made me realize, how am I supposed to trust ANYTHING that I read or hear other people say in regards to anything outside of my own little bubble of life?
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jul 14, 2016,
It is bullshit.
But you are vastly underestimating the internet age.
Try going back to 1980 when there was just one official story that was told to the public.
Now, internet might have 100s of versions of a story.
90% of it is bullshit, but there's that 10% chance that you might be getting something real.

All this illuminati nonsense is great, it's bullshit but it's making people open to the possibility that no government cares about them. Which is reality.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 14, 2016,
Quote by EyeNon15

Try going back to 1980 when there was just one official story that was told to the public.

This is an interesting point. I suppose I'd rather have the option to sort through hours of reading and decide myself what I believe is the "most true," but at the same time it makes me more likely to abstain from forming any sort of opinion whatsoever because I can't for the life of me figure out what to believe and what not to believe.
We don't. We just buy whatever makes sense to us logically (or based on what we believe is logically) and move along.

Personally, I don't really care. I just want to go hiking and enjoy that real sunshine and crisp, outdoor, unpolluted air and take it all in, nahmean?

That and s*** post lmao
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
This is an interesting point. I suppose I'd rather have the option to sort through hours of reading and decide myself what I believe is the "most true," but at the same time it makes me more likely to abstain from forming any sort of opinion whatsoever because I can't for the life of me figure out what to believe and what not to believe.

Well this is much better than just attaching yourself to the first thing that vaguely makes sense to you.

Being comfortable with ignorance is a good thing.
Being uncomfortable with ignorance is how blabbering idiots are created.
Now is a good time to utilize the internet because sooner or later it's all going to be regulated and controlled.........by the illuminati!
most people have always believed the official story(stories) but now we have access to more sources to verify our claims. Most people do not use sources to verify their claims
you don't
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Read news from a variety of reputable sources. Internet comments do not count. It's certainly okay to read highly biased sources, but make sure you know what the bias is and think about why they might feel that way and how that affects their reporting.

There aren't any shortcuts to this, you have to use your best judgement. The solution to all this is really just leaving your bubble and then it'll get easier. This goes for anything you read actually not just news.
cat
Don't underestimate internet comments.
People like to focus on all the shit talking and trolling, but when a writer tries to claim some lies and bullshit internet comments call it out real quick.

Sadly most are trending toward not allowing comments.
Quote by EyeNon15
People like to focus on all the shit talking and trolling, but when a writer tries to claim some lies and bullshit internet comments call it out real quick.

QFT, there's some smart observers in there sometimes.

I recommend getting news from a source with no leaning either way towards a candidate. I get a lot of my recent news from The Financial Times these days because they're big on fact checking and proper data presentation which is a severely lacking aspect of most other papers.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
MeGaDeth2314

I like your questioning, if you were interested, check this out http://ifers.ace.st/
I know I know, trust me, I know the first reaction. But try to skip the "wtf is this stupid shit" and you'll find there a lot of interesting information from the other side than the official. And as we all know, official story is always bullshit, right?

If it's too crazy, leave it be...but I felt like you wanted some answers and I personally found some answers there. But of course make up your own mind. Don't trust anyone else but yourself.

And have balls to be a little crazy...because look at this world, what is considered normal. That's crazy for me.
Quote by EyeNon15

Oh yes, I'm not saying don't read comments at all. They can certainly be useful. But they aren't a reputable source, so don't rely on them. People who comment are also more likely to disagree with whatever they're commenting on so it's not an accurate indicator of how the general public feels about the topic.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
Read news from a variety of reputable sources. Internet comments do not count. It's certainly okay to read highly biased sources, but make sure you know what the bias is and think about why they might feel that way and how that affects their reporting.

There aren't any shortcuts to this, you have to use your best judgement. The solution to all this is really just leaving your bubble and then it'll get easier. This goes for anything you read actually not just news.

Yeah this.

You make a good point in the OP about new sources catering to a variety of viewpoints rather than just reporting factually. It's something that was really obvious in the Brexit campaigning, all the info was designed to play on people's pre-conceived ideas to give them a sense of vindication and as a result a lot of 'independent' info got buried.

The ruling classes don't want an informed electorate though as it makes their job harder. That's why every time a big political vote comes up you see a bunch of companies do promotions like 'Here's the vote that matters, red sauce or brown' or 'Vote for the burger you think McDonalds should sell for the next couple of months' etc. It reinforces the idea that politics is dull and unimportant which leads to political apathy allowing the status quo to remain.

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes "You should never collect facts to fit around a hypothesis, but rather form a hypothesis based on the facts." All you can do is go in with an open mind and decide what makes sense to you, rather than what you necessarily agree with.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Last edited by RAB11 at Jul 14, 2016,
Quote by beggar__
MeGaDeth2314

I like your questioning, if you were interested, check this out http://ifers.ace.st/
I know I know, trust me, I know the first reaction. But try to skip the "wtf is this stupid shit" and you'll find there a lot of interesting information from the other side than the official. And as we all know, official story is always bullshit, right?

If it's too crazy, leave it be...but I felt like you wanted some answers and I personally found some answers there. But of course make up your own mind. Don't trust anyone else but yourself.

And have balls to be a little crazy...because look at this world, what is considered normal. That's crazy for me.

You can't be srs m8, pls

Just no

no pls

no
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Also start looking away from Google.
As it stands now there's very little on the internet that isn't Google approved. They will control all of it soon enough.
I know it sounds conspiracy but IMO it's not good for one company to control this much information, no matter how enlightened or liberal it may appear to be.
If flat earthers can post here then I just want to say that I'm convinced pokemon go is some international government scheme to test applying game theory to being a good citizen in order to placate the populous. I haven't thought through all the kinks or successfully blocked out some contradictory facts yet, but I'm working on it.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Arguing with a member of the flat earth society would be so incredibly easy it would be both underwhelming and overwhelmingly entertaining.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Gatecrasher53
If flat earthers can post here then I just want to say that I'm convinced pokemon go is some international government scheme to test applying game theory to being a good citizen in order to placate the populous. I haven't thought through all the kinks or successfully blocked out some contradictory facts yet, but I'm working on it.

It's a scheme to distract young people from politics.
Exercise critical thinking although you've got your own cognitive and sensory biases as well so you can't trust yourself either.

Just trust me and vote for Hillary.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Just trust me and vote for Hillary.

Hillary's a fucking whore (Ross & Rawt, 1967). You can trust that since I cited a source.
Free Ali
Free Lard
EyeNon15I hate to break it to you, but we had more than one news source in 1980. We also had plenty of newspapers and political commentators. We also had books in which many expressed differing opinions to traditional media sources.
Quote by badfish_lewis
EyeNon15I hate to break it to you, but we had more than one news source in 1980. We also had plenty of newspapers and political commentators. We also had books in which many expressed differing opinions to traditional media sources.

I was exaggerating. But lol @ books being a source of current topics. Might as well buy a set of encyclopedias to stay on top of the latest happenings in politics.

"Plenty" of newspapers, really?

And where did you see/hear these political commentators? On one of the only 3 networks that most people had access to? Or a radio station that only covered a limited amount of audience.

I think you got a little too caught up in the literal nature of my statement while completely missing the point that we are about a billion times better informed than we were in 1980.
And it was about a billion times easier to control what the public was allowed to see.

"billion times" , also an exaggeration.
Quote by EyeNon15

I think you got a little too caught up in the literal nature of my statement while completely missing the point that we are about a billion times better informed than we were in 1980.
And it was about a billion times easier to control what the public was allowed to see.

"billion times" , also an exaggeration.

I think you are mistakenly conflating quantity and value.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I think you are mistakenly conflating quantity and value.

I think you are daydreaming if you think the us populace of 1980 was anywhere remotely near as informed as we are today.
Quote by chrismendiola
Hillary's a fucking whore (Ross & Rawt, 1967). You can trust that since I cited a source.

She's also a morally depraved borderline psychopathic compulsive liar that deserves nothing more than a prison cell until the day her fragile body shits out her cancerous soul.
If I didn't know better I'd say you didn't like her.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by EyeNon15
I think you are daydreaming if you think the us populace of 1980 was anywhere remotely near as informed as we are today.

Sorry, a great deal of the information we have available to us today is valueless (in context), or near enough.

To paraphrase others, if all you really need to know is the time, Googling how to build a watch isn't useful, nor is watching videos of cats being scared by alarm clocks, or getting sidetracked by an article on velocity and time dilation...

Inexpensive and rapid access to more information than our forebears could have even imagined has given us some great advances, no doubt, but it's also brought with it challenges of validity that we can scarcely imagine. Of course validity of information has always been a concern, but the human mind can more easily vet 5 sources against it's internal compass than 500,000. To most people, in most contexts (you and I are no exception) any sufficiently large number equals infinity. We know intellectually that it's not true, but our decision making process doesn't always (or even often) react appropriately.

In most areas, you aren't really much better informed, you're just more convinced.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Sorry, a great deal of the information we have available to us today is valueless (in context), or near enough.

To paraphrase others, if all you really need to know is the time, Googling how to build a watch isn't useful, nor is watching videos of cats being scared by alarm clocks, or getting sidetracked by an article on velocity and time dilation...

Inexpensive and rapid access to more information than our forebears could have even imagined has given us some great advances, no doubt, but it's also brought with it challenges of validity that we can scarcely imagine. Of course validity of information has always been a concern, but the human mind can more easily vet 5 sources against it's internal compass than 500,000. To most people, in most contexts (you and I are no exception) any sufficiently large number equals infinity. We know intellectually that it's not true, but our decision making process doesn't always (or even often) react appropriately.

In most areas, you aren't really much better informed, you're just more convinced.

He's not merely asking what the time is.
If you ask Google how to build a watch when you just need the time then you are dealing with a different problem than what this thread is about.

The ways we can get information today is infinitely better than in 1980. It's clearly better. There's no way you can spin it to claim that it hasn't resulted in a much more aware population.
Quote by EyeNon15
He's not merely asking what the time is.
If you ask Google how to build a watch when you just need the time then you are dealing with a different problem than what this thread is about.

The ways we can get information today is infinitely better than in 1980. It's clearly better. There's no way you can spin it to claim that it hasn't resulted in a much more aware population.

There's that word...

Ok.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 14, 2016,
I don't know why you have a problem with that word.

As I said before, being comfortable with ignorance is a virtue. So in a way I'm exposing myself as a hypocrite by claiming to know for a fact that it's better. But it just is.

Nothing is ever going to be 100% real fact. So more options and more sources and opinions is going to open up peoples mind more to think for themselves.

No one takes the illuminati claims seriously anymore (even if many ever did) but just people widely being exposed to those sorts of wacky conspiracy claims really helps people to start to think for themselves about how this society really does function.
Quote by EyeNon15
I don't know why you have a problem with that word.

As I said before, being comfortable with ignorance is a virtue. So in a way I'm exposing myself as a hypocrite by claiming to know for a fact that it's better. But it just is.

Nothing is ever going to be 100% real fact. So more options and more sources and opinions is going to open up peoples mind more to think for themselves.

No one takes the illuminati claims seriously anymore (even if many ever did) but just people widely being exposed to those sorts of wacky conspiracy claims really helps people to start to think for themselves about how this society really does function.

I get it, you're convinced of your own correctness. I'm ok with that.

And I'm comfortable with your ignorance, apparently a virtuous position...

Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I get it, you're convinced of your own correctness. I'm ok with that.

And I'm comfortable with your ignorance, apparently a virtuous position...

No need for you to be comfortable with my ignorance.
You should should be a lot more comfortable with yours though.

To clarify, I'm not content with my ignorance. I'm comfortable with it.

Uncomfort with ignorance leads to just making things up to believe in rather than accepting your own ignorance. Things like "God made all this stuff" are born out of uncomfort with ignorance.
Quote by EyeNon15
No need for you to be comfortable with my ignorance.
You should should be a lot more comfortable with yours though.

To clarify, I'm not content with my ignorance. I'm comfortable with it.

Uncomfort with ignorance leads to just making things up to believe in rather than accepting your own ignorance. Things like "God made all this stuff" are born out of uncomfort with ignorance.

*discomfort

(such an obvious error, wtf)
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Quote by EyeNon15

Maybe.

And maybe claiming there is no G_D, even though that cannot be known, is also born out of discomfort with ignorance.

As to my own ignorance, which is of course significant on many things, I too plead discontent.

But I don't find "uncomfort", because that's not a word...
Charles Darwin
Immediately I'm called out on my misuse of a word. TWICE.
Internet age wins again.
Quote by Arby911

And maybe claiming there is no G_D, even though that cannot be known, is also born out of discomfort with ignorance.

EXACTLY
Quote by EyeNon15
Immediately I'm called out on my misuse of a word. TWICE.
Internet age wins again.

To clarify, you didn't misuse a word.

And now you're conflating speed of communication with availability of information.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 14, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
To clarify, you didn't misuse a word.

Then what did I do Mr Trying way too hard for a Gotcha moment with a technicality?

I can show you where you were clearly wrong on your calling out.
uncomfort IS a word. You said it was not, but it is.
GOTCHA!!!
Quote by EyeNon15
Then what did I do Mr Trying way too hard for a Gotcha moment with a technicality?

I can show you where you were clearly wrong on your calling out.
uncomfort IS a word. You said it was not, but it is.
GOTCHA!!!

uncomfort is not a word, your feeble pretense nothwithstanding.

And your rapidly googled belief that it is perfectly illustrates what I was saying earlier about validity of information.

No gotcha moment, just flipping you shit. Because I can.
Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 3