I currently have a LTD B206 6-string bass, but I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need a 6 string bass. It's heavy, it's not easy to use, and I don't really use the top string that much.

So, I think I want to do some "downgrading". I can't afford a MIM jazz bass at the moment (which is more or less what I'd want), so I'm looking at stuff like Squier VM and Marcus Miller brand basses. Any opinions on these for example:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_vint_mod_jazz_v_nt.htm

http://www.thomann.de/fi/marcus_miller_v7_alder_5_ts.htm

First of all, is it a really stupid idea in your opinion to sell a 600e bass to buy a 400e bass, even if I think I'd like the cheaper one more. And second, most importantly, are these basses good? I know that Squier makes nice basses in this price range, but I have no clue about their 5 strings. And I've never tried a Marcus Miller brand bass.

Any opinions on this matter are welcome.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Jul 27, 2016,
I have that Squire and I really like it. Now I'm a cheapish guy anyway and do not ever spend a lot on gear but it holds up with the other bass guitars I've owned (SR405, SR800 and an LTD C-304) which are all more expensive. It has relegated my SR405 to mostly just a wall decoration anymore.
I've never owned a Squire but I've heard and read great things about them. If you like MIM Fenders then a used one is another option.
Thanks for the replies! If I can find a used MiM jazzer I'd be really happy, but I'm afraid my budget is pretty much exactly 450e so I have to find a good deal. And I need to search a bit more info on the Miller basses, they seem to have pretty good reviews.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
I currently have a LTD B206 6-string bass, but I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need a 6 string bass. It's heavy, it's not easy to use, and I don't really use the top string that much.

So, I think I want to do some "downgrading". I can't afford a MIM jazz bass at the moment (which is more or less what I'd want), so I'm looking at stuff like Squier VM and Marcus Miller brand basses. Any opinions on these for example:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_vint_mod_jazz_v_nt.htm

http://www.thomann.de/fi/marcus_miller_v7_alder_5_ts.htm

First of all, is it a really stupid idea in your opinion to sell a 600e bass to buy a 400e bass, even if I think I'd like the cheaper one more. And second, most importantly, are these basses good? I know that Squier makes nice basses in this price range, but I have no clue about their 5 strings. And I've never tried a Marcus Miller brand bass.

Any opinions on this matter are welcome.

Over on Bass chat the Sire's are getting a shedload of praise. I've not played one myself, but I'm interested in picking one up.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
That's good to hear. Does anyone how similar a Squier Jazz Bass feels to a Sire Jazz Bass? Are the necks similar?
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
From the specs I can find the Sire has a 7.25 fret board radius and the Squire a 9.5 the Squire has a wider nut width and the Sire has medium small frets vs the Squires medium jumbo.. Also there's the rosewood board vs maple as well. So pretty much the only similarity is the C neck profile as far as I can tell.
Quote by jaymz9350
From the specs I can find the Sire has a 7.25 fret board radius and the Squire a 9.5 the Squire has a wider nut width and the Sire has medium small frets vs the Squires medium jumbo.. Also there's the rosewood board vs maple as well. So pretty much the only similarity is the C neck profile as far as I can tell.

That's pretty different all right. The problem is, that Sire basses are pretty rare here in Finland so I doubt I can try one before buying, which pretty much makes me not want to buy one. Let's hope I can find one, even a 4 string version for reference.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Jul 15, 2016,
I currently use an Affinity Jazz Bass V with a John East J-retro active kit. The bass cost just £219 GBP. Excellent value for money.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I thought about the Affinity, but decided that I want something a bit more expensive since I could easily afford a VM as well.

However, an update: I did just buy a Sire Marcus Miller V7 expect an NBD soon.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Jul 23, 2016,