Poll: What would you do?
Poll Options
View poll results: What would you do?
Don't play those songs live
5 29%
Practice your tits off for a couple of years until you are able to play the material
4 24%
Try to play it as best you can even if it sounds like ass
1 6%
Write your own solos to go over the original solo
6 35%
Have a backing track play the solo while you perform the rhythm section
1 6%
Have a backing track play the solo while you pretend that you are playing it
0 0%
Voters: 17.
So this is inspired by a particular band that some of you will no doubt be able to guess.

After thinking about the situation I can't really think of the best way to handle it.

As a point of curiosity and to hopefully spark some conversation, what would you do if you were in this situation:

You are in a band with another guitarist who is absolutely phenomenal. Like, significantly better than you are. He writes a bunch of ripping solos that melt faces. These solos are very much seen as integral to the songs. He then leaves the band. How do you handle playing those songs live?
Quote by seventh_angel
...or the most obvious and common answer:

hire a new guitarist who is more or less equally phenomenal.

Theoretically if you were able to find someone who was that good then yes, but the band in question hasn't done this. Instead they seem to do a selection of the options I put.
Can't be that hard, just practise a couple of days
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
change genres entirely and forget about your old material

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
dont play the songs

or

get an equally good guitarist

one of my favorite bands got a new drummer and i was talking to the singer before their set once and he said they'd likely be unable to play one of their songs live anymore with the new guy.

it sucks but it happens.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Write your own solos to go over it. Imitation is suicide.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Random3
So this is inspired by a particular band that some of you will no doubt be able to guess.

Don't worry. If John Petrucci leaves Dream Theater, they will no doubt find a guitarist that is just as technically proficient and just as incapable of writing anything interesting. If you are not talking about Dream Theater, none of the trash bands you listen to have solos that are remotely challenging. Anybody could play the shit that Machine and Pantera play.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by neidnarb11890
why would I have another guitarist in my band who is better than me that doesn't make sense.

because it would be too hard to find one that isn't
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
because it would be too hard to find one that isn't

ouch
Quote by theogonia777
Don't worry. If John Petrucci leaves Dream Theater, they will no doubt find a guitarist that is just as technically proficient and just as incapable of writing anything interesting.

DT only have one guitarist.

Quote by theogonia777
If you are not talking about Dream Theater, none of the trash bands you listen to have solos that are remotely challenging. Anybody could play the shit that Machine and Pantera play.

Pantera don't have a guitarist.

Not sure who Machine are. My guess is they don't have two guitarists either.
You know I meant Machine Head since those are three of the only four bands that you listen to along Fear Factory.
Quote by neidnarb11890
ouch

jk i m sure you are at least ok at guitar
One time you talked about how you know all about industrial metal production because you listen to Fear Factory.
Ah yeah ok. Just found that thread. I didn't pretend that I know about industrial metal production. I used Fear Factory's ultra-precise machine gun riffing as an example of a band who's sound you will not achieve without using a pick on a bass guitar. I never claimed to be an expert on the genre, in fact Fear Factory and I guess Rammstein are the only bands I can name who even come under that genre.
Their production is legit awful anyway. Sterile garbage.
Born of Osiris?

More like Bored of Practice AMIRITE BOYS!?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The newer stuff generally doesn't sound bad to me. Mechanize and Genexus are probably their best that I have heard. Not exactly close to my list of favourite productions but I prefer them to the older ones.
Last edited by Random3 at Jul 14, 2016,
It's really just "modern" "metal" in general. This metalcore and djent and pseudo-progressive crap. All the guitars are just this percussive chugging on the same notes and everything is so overly polished and it sounds squeaky clean. The late 80s/early 90s death metal bands like Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Entombed, Cryptopsy, etc had such great guitar tones and overall sound. And then suddenly bands started sounding like shit with this modern "high definition" sound to compliment their lack of songwriting ability.
Write new songs. Or hire a new guy that can play the old stuff.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by theogonia777
It's really just "modern" "metal" in general. This metalcore and djent and pseudo-progressive crap. All the guitars are just this percussive chugging on the same notes and everything is so overly polished and it sounds squeaky clean.
Yeah.
Quote by Random3
Nah, more like the late 80s/early 90s death metal bands had deliberately terrible guitar tones and production to cover up their lack of talent.
Yeah.