Hello guys.

I just recently moved to the US from Brazil. I'm living in Evansville, IN and I want to restart building my own set. For now I only bought a Fender FA-100 Acoustic Guitar but I miss some distortion and I'm looking for an electric gear. Anyone has any recommendations of online stores, good sales or anything else?

So far I was thinking about getting an Epiphone Les Paul, a Rocktron amp (I love that distortion), a Rocktron Banshee Talkbox and was thinking about getting some wah-wah too. My budget is around $1000. Any recommendations?
What kind of music do you play and can you buy used?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
What kind of music do you play and can you buy used?

I'm eclectic and I go from Brazilian music to Blues to Heavy Metal. Pretty much everything. But with the GnR reunion tour I think I'm more inclined to Slash's tone right now. So I'd say some 80s and 90s Hard Rock like GnR, Cinderella and Poison. And no, I don`t mind buying used gear (Even though I'd like to have a brand new guitar once in my life lol)
Last edited by arthurlorente at Jul 14, 2016,
Quote by arthurlorente
I'm eclectic and I go from Brazilian music to Blues to Heavy Metal. Pretty much everything. But with the GnR reunion tour I think I'm more inclined to Slash's tone right now. So I'd say some 80s and 90s Hard Rock like GnR, Cinderella and Poison. And no, I don`t mind buying used gear (Even though I'd like to have a brand new guitar once in my life lol)

Hmm well if youre set on an LP Epiphones arent a terrible choice. They have a few different models available so try as many as you can and get a feel for them.

Amp wise, you couls probably nail those tones with something like a DSL40 or even a nice Jet City JCA22.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Hmm well if youre set on an LP Epiphones arent a terrible choice. They have a few different models available so try as many as you can and get a feel for them.

Amp wise, you couls probably nail those tones with something like a DSL40 or even a nice Jet City JCA22.

Any recommendations regarding effect pedals?
Quote by arthurlorente
Any recommendations regarding effect pedals?

Nothing really in particular unless there are certain sounds you hope to achieve that you wouldn't be able to strictly straight into the amp.

Personally, I like a nice chorus, delay and OD pedal. They can be handy in their own ways. The chorus can be used for cool clean sounds and even distorted tones if you like that style, the delay you can use for leads etc... and the OD you can use to goose the front of the amp and maybe get a bit more gain so you can play heavier genres and sound decent.

Aside from that the best thing you can really do is try out as much as you can at local shops (if there are any nearby) and see if there's anything that really tickles your fancy.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I would second an Overdrive pedal to start with on the Jet City JCA 22.
Also, maybe check out LTD (ESP) Eclipses too. If you're sold on an LP style guitar, you can sometimes find better quality there for about the same price.
$1000 is a good budget to get going with.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Sweetwater, American Music Supply, Sam Ash, Guitar Center, ZZounds Music 123, Musician's Friend and others are major retailers of new gear, both online and in brick & mortar stores.

Because of this year's Prime Day, I discovered a lot of small stores I shop with also sell through Amazon.

Likewise eBay and Reverb.com are good sites to find a mix of big and small sellers- like Chicago Music Exchange, Prymaxe, 8th Street Music, Axe...and You Shall Recieve (and many others)- offering new or used gear.

Guitarsandeffects.com, Elderly Instruments, Music-Go-Round, eBay and some of the aforementioned big retailers can be used to find deals on used gear.

Craigslist is another way to go, though I don't use them for personal reasons.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'll agree with the suggestion of the Jet City amp for your base tone. Good amps for those styles at a good price.

For pedals, I'll suggest a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2 or TrueTone* Jekyll & Hyde V3- a pretty good, to ally flexible OD/Dist dual pedal, built like a tank. Their H20 Chorus/Echo (again, V2 or V3) is also seriously good.

For a singlecut HH guitar, besides the Epi, I'd recommend an Electra Omega or Omega Prime, a G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top or Deluxe II*, a Godin Empire, LGX or Core HB, a Reverend Charger HB or Roundhouse, or a customized guitar by Agile. Some of those listed are discontinued models, but they still kick ass.

* same company, new name

** both of these have a Telecaster style body
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 14, 2016,
I've had great luck ordering off Amazon. Their return policy is outstanding. I've also had great dealings with the fine folks at Sweetwater. I'd recommend either of those.
You guys are the best! Thank you so much. I will post here once I get my gear.
Last edited by arthurlorente at Jul 15, 2016,
Wait. You're from Brazil? Did you bring any Brazilian Rosewood with you?
Sweetwater is in Indiana so you will get great shipping times. Craigslist is pretty useless for music in Indiana.

-- A fellow Hoosier
Last edited by helies at Jul 18, 2016,
Welcome to Indiana, I'm from Indianapolis and just visited Evansville 3 weeks ago Sweetwater is a great choice also try Guitar Center 6220 E Lloyd Expy. Evansville, IN 47715, if you haven't been there already they have a great return policy and if they don't have anything used that fits what you are looking for you can just buy one at Guitar Center online have it shipped from anywhere iin the U.S. and if you are not happy just return it to your local GC no matter where it shipped from they will take it back.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by arthurlorente
Hello guys.

I just recently moved to the US from Brazil. I'm living in Evansville, IN and I want to restart building my own set. For now I only bought a Fender FA-100 Acoustic Guitar but I miss some distortion and I'm looking for an electric gear. Anyone has any recommendations of online stores, good sales or anything else?

So far I was thinking about getting an Epiphone Les Paul, a Rocktron amp (I love that distortion), a Rocktron Banshee Talkbox and was thinking about getting some wah-wah too. My budget is around $1000. Any recommendations?

Hello neighbor I am about 45 minutes from Evansville. For stores, there is the typical Guitar Center, Moore Music (pretty great store), and Musician's Den. Musician's Den can't be beat for getting a guitar setup. The owner there is great, I won't take my guitars anywhere else.

I would recommend stopping into Musician's Den and checking out the amps and guitars he has. It's a smaller store, but he can get almost anything you would want. The store is located off Green River Road across the street from Harp's Pet store (I believe it's on Vogel Road), if you are familiar with that area.

I could be wrong, but I do believe he has Rocktron gear there. Let me know if you have any questions. I am very familiar with that area.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
Hello neighbor I am about 45 minutes from Evansville..

Small world I didn't know you were living hear in the Hoosier state that makes 2 people I met living here on this thread and found out you do too!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
Small world I didn't know you were living hear in the Hoosier state that makes 2 people I met living here on this thread and found out you do too!

Yep, very southern part of the state, right on the Ohio River.
Welcome. You might want to go up to bloomington. That town has a great music scene and a few music shops.
In fact lotus-fest is going on right now in btown. They are probably jamming on some Brazilian music right now.
You want to make a road trip to LA, for SO many reasons.
I grew up in Iowa. Ack.