I've been playing left handed since I began, about 20 years ago. I finally have an American Strat, but unless I go custom shop, there are basically no guitars for me. I can never pick up and play a random guitar anywhere. I have to always play the same 3 or 4 low end left handed guitars that each store has to have in their inventory for the odd lefty.

So maybe I'll just switch. How long do you think it would take me to develop equivalent technique as a right-handed player?
I'm a teacher, so most of the year I play about 1.5 hours a day, over the summer I can play 3+.

I'm also wondering if attempting to learn righty will confuse my brain and hurt my ability to play lefty.
Last edited by RyanMW2010 at Jul 14, 2016,
Quote by RyanMW2010
I've been playing left handed since I began, about 20 years ago. I finally have an American Strat, but unless I go custom shop, there are basically no guitars for me. I can never pick up and play a random guitar anywhere. I have to always play the same 3 or 4 low end left handed guitars that each store has to have in their inventory for the odd lefty.

So maybe I'll just switch. How long do you think it would take me to develop equivalent technique as a right-handed player?
I'm a teacher, so most of the year I play about 1.5 hours a day, over the summer I can play 3+.

I'm also wondering if attempting to learn righty will confuse my brain and hurt my ability to play lefty.

I'm generally left handed for a lot of things, but I can only play right handed.

Have a look at some of the Schecter Traditional styled models, they do quite a lot of them in a lefty version
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I made the switch after year one and it took 6 months or so to adapt. I do play differently righty than lefty but maybe thats a good thing.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I think it might depend on how strongly left-handed you are - handedness goes from strong right>>ambidextrous>> strong left with all points in between. There's also mixed handedness, which Fisheth might have. Whilst there is plenty of evidence that strong left handers have no problem learning to play a right hand instrument, eg concert violin, strong handedness might mean that you would have difficulty switching over once you have learned it one way or the other.

Based on my experience trying unsuccessfully to learn flatpicking, I would say stay as you are. My problem was psychological - I was coming from too far behind compared with fingerpicking, and quickly got discouraged. Maybe you have more strength of character than me.
RyanMW2010 That is an insane idea - you'll be starting at zero. All the muscle memory you've developed will be gone. Now, if you're just a casual player and haven't really practiced much, then there's not much of a loss, but if you've put in some hours over those 20 years you should continue and build on what you have.

Worst case, flip a regular guitar guitar upside down like Eric Gales and Albert King - there is nothing funner to watch than a player who plays like that - what a trip!
I would say it's a waste of time. You'll need to "relearn" a lot of stuff you already know. Also, if your left handedness is strong, you may never be able to learn to play right handed guitar that well, so you may never reach the level you are at right now. If you had been playing for a year or something like that, then trying to play right handed would make more sense. But 20 years is a long time. I wouldn't do it.

Maybe try guitars that have a more symmetrical shape (like Gibson SG) and just play them upside down.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ yeah if you couldn't play left-handed then it might be worth switching, but if you have no problem playing and the only reason for changing is that there aren't enough guitars, I don't think I would. Buy online from a shop with a good return policy or something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?