Page 1 of 2
Hey there everyone,

Im currently making my debut EP, As of right now Its going to be 3 songs, Jimi Hendrix's Version of the Star Spangled Banner, Maggot Brain. (the full 10 minutes), And a 3rd song.

What should my 3rd song be? I have Acess to an Electric guitar and a Bass guitar although i would rather stick to just Electric Guitar. Id like something along the Classic Rock genre with a decent solo in it

Thanks in advance!
An EP consisting of covers of sloppy, noodly classic rock solos? Great idea!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Not sure what you mean by noodly and sloppy however I play the Star Spangled Banner almost as good as Jimi Hendrix and my guitar solo is up there with the likes of Steve Vai. Not sure if you were being sarcastic but I have no time for sarcasm
I'm saying that his version of the Star Spangled Banner is noodly and sloppy. If you play it "almost as good" that's not something to be proud of. And your claim of "[your] guitar solo [sic] [being] up there with the likes of Steve Vai" is about as questionable as that sentence.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
theogonia777 if people 50 years later are still counting it as one of the landmark guitar solos of all time that I think he did something right to be honest, if I can even play remotely as good as Hendrix, I think I'll be good in the long run
Just because it was innovative for its time does not chance the fact that it was extremely shoddy by today's standards for technical proficiency. And "[playing even] remotely as good as Hendrix" really is not exactly a good measure of anything in the modern era, especially considering that the demand for guitar based rock music might be at an all time low.

I'm kind of curious though. Have you ever actually listened to any post-80s shred guitarists? The bar for proficiency for "making it" (by which I mean being well known in the world of instrumental guitar rock music as that music has no commercial viability) as a rock guitar instrumentalist has risen exponentially since the 60s. Perhaps you might just be too young and naïve to be aware of the state of instrumental guitar music or too old and stubborn to stop living in the past and explore music beyond the 70s.

I guess what I'm saying is that Jimi Hendrix is beyond mediocre by today's "Guitar God" standards and top notch rock guitar playing (and it is many notches higher these days) will not get you very far these days because classic rock has no mainstream popularity and no commercial value beyond the bar gig cover band circuit which will die with the post-baby boomer, pre-Generation X crowd.
Judging by what you listed you should probably take a swing at something like SRV's interpretation of little wing. It's definitely the hardest of the three songs but I think you can learn a lot by doing it. It shouldn't be too far outside of your comfort zone. I also think it's something you'd enjoy doing.

theo's right though, the bar for mediocre guitar playing now is quite a bit higher in the public eye than it was 40+ years ago. Don't be surprised if a lot of people put you down for doing easy stuff like maggot brain and Jimi's Star Spangled Banner.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
That's a lot of big words for someone who probably never even picked up the guitar and then played in front of a crowd. let's leave it at that.

have a great night opinions are welcome eveybody has their own. Thats why we live in America
Victory2134 I appreciate it! Little Wing actually seems like a great song and I'm surprised I didn't think of it! Thanks for the tip!
Quote by theogonia777
Just because it was innovative for its time does not chance the fact that it was extremely shoddy by today's standards for technical proficiency. And "[playing even] remotely as good as Hendrix" really is not exactly a good measure of anything in the modern era, especially considering that the demand for guitar based rock music might be at an all time low.

I'm kind of curious though. Have you ever actually listened to any post-80s shred guitarists? The bar for proficiency for "making it" (by which I mean being well known in the world of instrumental guitar rock music as that music has no commercial viability) as a rock guitar instrumentalist has risen exponentially since the 60s. Perhaps you might just be too young and naïve to be aware of the state of instrumental guitar music or too old and stubborn to stop living in the past and explore music beyond the 70s.

I guess what I'm saying is that Jimi Hendrix is beyond mediocre by today's "Guitar God" standards and top notch rock guitar playing (and it is many notches higher these days) will not get you very far these days because classic rock has no mainstream popularity and no commercial value beyond the bar gig cover band circuit which will die with the post-baby boomer, pre-Generation X crowd.

totally agree here

you can cover whatever song you like though no one will care

I highly doubt you can play anything close to Steve Vai
Last edited by nico_9550 at Jul 14, 2016,
Quote by King_Kenroy
That's a lot of big words for someone who probably never even picked up the guitar and then played in front of a crowd. let's leave it at that.

If only you knew. Let's leave it at that.

Let me try this from a different angle. What do you plan on doing with this EP and what do you think will come of it?
Quote by nico_9550
totally agree here

you can cover whatever song you like though no one will care

I highly doubt you can play anything close to Steve Vai

I actually am a very Good guitar player, I dont know why you would assume im not right off the bat, Ive even contributed Tabs to this site, But by coming on to this forum just to say to me you doubt i Can play anything similar to Steve Vai is just defeating the purpose of this forum, I was asking for a song suggestion, Not people doubting my skills on the instrument. And also, I know a lot of people that would care about Me covering songs, Just because you dont care dosent mean nobody else does.

Regards
Quote by theogonia777
If only you knew. Let's leave it at that.

Let me try this from a different angle. What do you plan on doing with this EP and what do you think will come of it?

I plan on having people listen to it, and what will come of it, Well People can have something to listen to thats better then the cookie cutter music of Today

Lets leave it at that
Quote by King_Kenroy
I plan on having people listen to it, and what will come of it, Well People can have something to listen to thats better then the cookie cutter music of Today

Lets leave it at that

Nobody is going to listen to it besides you. Let's leave it at that.
Quote by King_Kenroy
Thats why we live in America
Typical American, assuming that all users of a site based in Russia are American
Quote by King_Kenroy
the purpose of this forum
Except...you're in the Pit.
Generally a bad idea to post a thread claiming you are as good as Steve Vai.

Honest answer, if you are going to do an EP of cover songs then you need to do something different with them. People need a reason to listen to your version over the original. If you literally just "cover the songs", no one will care.

The only example I can think of people who did this successfully are the Easy Star All-Stars.
Tenacious D - Explosivo
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by King_Kenroy
I actually am a very Good guitar player, I dont know why you would assume im not right off the bat,

Prove it then we'll believe you

Quote by King_Kenroy
Ive even contributed Tabs to this site,

So? I have too, and I know for a fact that any moron with some semblance of musical skill can transcribe something into tab from sheet music, or find it somewhere else. Not saying you did this, but I'm not ruling it out yet.

Interestingly enough I must take a break here to say thank you for tabbing out the bass part for "Why Can't We Be Friends?" because I have half assedly tried to work it out by ear and just gave up, which is odd considering I am currently transcribing something far more intricate by ear.
Whether it is correct remains to be seen however

Quote by King_Kenroy
But by coming on to this forum just to say to me you doubt i Can play anything similar to Steve Vai is just defeating the purpose of this forum,

It's actually more in line with this forum than anything you've posted thus far.

Quote by King_Kenroy
I was asking for a song suggestion, Not people doubting my skills on the instrument. And also, I know a lot of people that would care about Me covering songs, Just because you dont care dosent mean nobody else does.

Regards

Who? Your family? Who would possibly care enough?
If you knew anyone worth getting attention from and they took you on your word vis-à-vis your skill, you wouldn't be asking us for suggestions.

Oh and Theogonia has undoubtedly more experience with music than you.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Random3
People need a reason to listen to your version over the original.

Especially with statements like:

I play the Star Spangled Banner almost as good as Jimi Hendrix

if I can even play remotely as good as Hendrix, I think I'll be good in the long run

which would lead one to believe that it is not even a direct copy but an inferior copy.

Also saying that you are up there with Steve Vai but not as good as Hendrix shows a lack of understanding of guitar technical proficiency.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 15, 2016,
Also I listened to Maggot Brain for the first time in years just now because I couldn't remember it and the dude's guitar is literally out of tune, first section.

Wow, the more I tune pianos the more I hate music
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by King_Kenroy

Lets leave it at that
Probably nothing.

Try writing your own songs, and forming a band. Leave the horribly dated covers on Soundcloud or something.
He asked for songs not your opinions about how uninteresting it will be
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by ElMaco
He asked for songs not your opinions about how uninteresting it will be
But this is the Pit, so he'll get what we give him.

TBH, he should probably try

Quote by slapsymcdougal

+1 do it TS
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Oh my god you guys are still on this? First of all youve never heard me play, so you cant make a statement That im not a good guitar player or that anyone has more experience then me, Its just not plausible, Second of all just leave it alone already...
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Just look at the guy, he probably got so much pussy
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Jul 15, 2016,
They would leave you alone if you stopped replying
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Correct, none of us have any idea how good or bad you are, but nonchalantly saying:

Quote by King_Kenroy
I play almost as good as Jimi Hendrix

Quote by King_Kenroy
My guitar solo is up there with the likes of Steve Vai

Quote by King_Kenroy
*you have* probably never even picked up the guitar and then played in front of a crowd

Quote by King_Kenroy
I actually am a very Good guitar player

Quote by King_Kenroy
I know a lot of people that would care about Me covering songs

You might come across as a teeny tiny bit arrogant, regardless of how good you actually are.
Quote by King_Kenroy
Oh my god you guys are still on this?

Yes

Quote by King_Kenroy
First of all youve never heard me play, so you cant make a statement That im not a good guitar player or that anyone has more experience then me,

We have not heard you play but you seem to think you are very good and that we should take your word for it when comparing 2 very different guitarists. Which makes me ask, what is it that actually makes you a good guitarist, nearly comparable to Hendrix and on the same tier as Vai?

You obviously have recording gear, and you have an internet connection, why not post this stuff to SoundCloud and then post it here? Maybe we'll change our minds
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by King_Kenroy
Oh my god you guys are still on this? First of all youve never heard me play, so you cant make a statement That im not a good guitar player or that anyone has more experience then me, Its just not plausible, Second of all just leave it alone already...

You shouldnt be so worried about You're guitar playing you should be more Worried that you have a poor grasp of homophones Capitalization and punctuation...

that anyone has more experience then me, Its just not plausible,

It's not plausible that anyone has more experience than you?
covers on an EP done in the same style as the original? bleh. Do originals or rework a cover into something completely different.

is this you, btw?

how many king kenroys are there...

Last edited by flexiblemile at Jul 15, 2016,
Debut EP as an artist - you should write your own stuff for the most part, a cover or two is fine but if people wanted to hear that they'll just go and listen to the originals

only way to prove how good you are is through your own songwriting, even if you think it's bad, only way to turn it around is to write more and more songs, build your own sound, build your own style, it takes time so the sooner you start the better

my suggestion - if you go solo nowadays learn drum programming, mixing, mastering, practice guitar like hell for consistency, it's hard if you don't even know where to start but then again there's lots of info on the internet about all of it, and it feels satisfying as fuck getting a song of your own to sound professional
theogonia777 first of all I would love to hear your opinion on Les Paul one of the purest guitar players of all time according to you I'm sure he's irrelevant as well am I correct and as far as my punctuation I have no issues with that being the only straight shooter in this conversation.

Next time you speak to Eddie Van Halen check his grammar why don't you
grammar i hardly know her
Quote by JustRooster
That's a shamanic incantation of truth if I ever heard one.
Quote by King_Kenroy
theogonia777 first of all I would love to hear your opinion on Les Paul one of the purest guitar players of all time according to you I'm sure he's irrelevant as well am I correct and as far as my punctuation I have no issues with that being the only straight shooter in this conversation.

Next time you speak to Eddie Van Halen check his grammar why don't you
These could be your friend - '.'

There's probably one to the right of the first digit in your actual real life IQ.
Page 1 of 2