I am learning a lot of Exotic and alternative tunings and even made a few, and am Looking for exotic and alternative chords for go great with those tunings.

E
B
E
C#
F#
E

D#
C#
G#
C#
G#
D#

(own tunings)
Welcome to the Internet ladies and gentleman
Last edited by Juicyfood at Jul 26, 2016,
Learn note names and where they are located on the fretboard and you should be able to form some chord shapes.

BTW, how did you come up with this tuning? Why do you want to use it? What's the advantage of it over standard tuning? Does anybody else use it?

The standard tuning is a standard for a reason. It works. Is there any reason why you don't want to use it?

I wouldn't just tune my guitar randomly. If there is no particular reason for using this tuning, I would just use standard tuning.

BTW which of the E's is your low (pitched) E?

Usually people use alternate tunings because they work better for certain kind of playing (for example open tunings work well for slide guitar) or they may make certain chords easier to play (for example if you are after a specific sound but it's really hard to play on standard tuning, that would be a good reason to use an alternate tuning. Another reason that comes to my mind is open strings and harmonics. If your playing relies heavily on them, then using an alternate tuning makes perfect sense). I wouldn't choose a tuning first and then wonder what kind of music I can play with it. That just makes no sense. There needs to be a reason for using a certain tuning.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 15, 2016,
Quote by Juicyfood
I am learning a lot of Exotic and alternative tunings and even made a few, and am Looking for exotic and alternative chords for go great with those tunings.

E
F#
C#
E
B
E
(own tuning)

You sure that's not
E
C#
F#
E
B
E
?

Even if your C# and F# really are the other way up, it's a nice E69 tuning. It's not one I've used myself before, so I'd just suggest experimenting, using your ear. When you find a shape you like, you should be able to work out the notes in it, if you want to identify the chord - you at least need some way of remembering the good shapes.

You should also check out Joni Mitchell and Nick Drake, two of the great explorers of Alternative Tuning Land. (I checked, and neither of them have used your tuning.)
http://jonimitchell.com/music/viewalltranscriptions.cfm?sortby=by%20Tuning
http://www.chrish.ndo.co.uk/tunings.htm

You could add it to this database - it looks like they will provide chords for you:
http://gtdb.org/
Last edited by jongtr at Jul 15, 2016,
MaggaraMarine

The reason I use this tuning is the same reason people use tunings like DADGAD, Open G, Open D, because they like it

And for the pitch question, assume high is is standard, 3rd string (G) is down an octave to the standard AKA down A step and a half and the low pitch one is just standard.
Last edited by Juicyfood at Jul 16, 2016,
jongtr
Actually they are tuned down, the A string is tuned down a step and a half, the D string half a step down, and the G string, Down a step and a half again to make a E string that is up an octave to the low e.

Thanks anyway.
Quote by Juicyfood
MaggaraMarine

The reason I use this tuning is the same reason people use tunings like DADGAD, Open G, Open D, because they like it

And for the pitch question, assume high is is standard, 3rd string (G) is down an octave to the standard AKA down A step and a half and the low pitch one is just standard.

I asked the questions because to me the OP kind of gave me an impression that you didn't know any chords in the tuning and just wanted to use it for the sake of being different or something. Of course if you like the tuning and the sounds it gives you, go for it. That's a good reason.

Also, usually in tab the strings are in the opposite order (low pitched E as the lowest string). Like this:

E
B
G
D
A
E

So your tuning would be:

E
B
E
C#
F#
E

But yeah, learn about chord construction and learn where the note names are on the fretboard. Maybe use some chord shapes you know and add some open strings to them and see how that changes the sound. Just experiment. Since it's a tuning you came up with, I can't really give you any chord shapes because I have never used the tuning (and I would assume few people here have either).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
MaggaraMarine
Sorry I didn't understand what you ment by the pitch thing, I am rather new to guitar as I've only being playing for 6 months thanks for clearing that up for me
Quote by Juicyfood
MaggaraMarine
Sorry I didn't understand what you ment by the pitch thing, I am rather new to guitar as I've only being playing for 6 months thanks for clearing that up for me

You wrote
Quote by Juicyfood

E
F#
C#
E
B
E
(own tuning)

Generally, they're written

(for standard)
(high pitch)
e
B
G
D
A
E
(low pitch)

and based on that, MM assumed you meant (in your tuning)

E
B
E
C#
F#
E

instead.

Edit: if you don't understand pitch...

Guy's voices are generally lower than girl's. Their /pitch/ is lower. The fatter strings on a guitar have lower notes.

In tab, fat strings are written on the bottom. Thin strings on top in notation.

HOWEVER:

EADGBe (horizontal)

(for tab)
e
B
G
D
A
E
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Last edited by NeoMvsEu at Jul 21, 2016,
NeoMvsEu
I understand what pitch is it's just I mistakingly wrote it upside down, I didn't realize until you commented that it is upside down