Let's keep the Nice thread about Nice. This is the thread for conflated statements and irresponsibly applied statistics about abstracts.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'm waiting to MH to post that bar graph again so this thread can really get kickin'.
The Nice thread has already devolved into a warlike debate on terrorism.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 15, 2016,

"The story of Genesis must be undone. First, Cain must stop murdering Abel. This is essential if you're to survive. The Leavers are the endangered species most critical to the world - not because they're humans but because they alone can show the destroyers of the world that there is more than one right way to live. And then, of course, you must spit out the fruit of the forbidden tree. You must absolutely and forever relinquish the idea that you know who should live and who should die on this planet."
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Last edited by Zaphikh at Jul 15, 2016,
Has The Left Poisoned The Debate About Islam

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by JustRooster
I'm waiting to MH to post that bar graph again so this thread can really get kickin'.

I got this.

(36 vs 64) 64% of Muslims in France believed it (terrorism) could never be justified, 19% believed it could be justified rarely, 10% sometimes, and 6% thought it could be justified often.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_attitudes_towards_terrorism
Last edited by kalypto at Jul 15, 2016,
I always get irritated about people that blame it on Islam and act sketchy or hostile around middle eastern looking people. I don't give any more of a shit about Islam than any other religion, and anybody that thinks all this shit is because of which mythos they believe in has their head up their ass. People aren't pulled towards extremist groups or actions simply because they were raised in a different belief system than your own. It's vastly more complicated than that and ultimately the religion doesn't matter. I think the "war on terror" is a steaming pile. How do you have a war on a an idea? These are disenfranchised people in shitty situations that decide to try to make a difference. It's fucking horrible and we need to find a way to get a better handle of it because this shit is getting ridiculous, but I feel that it's a symptom of an underlying problem. Sure, if you can hunt them down and hit 'em with a drone strike or something then yea, ok, whatever. They're just playing whack-a-mole. I feel like we need to try to better understand what these people are feeling and try to figure out what the causes are, then maybe we could find a way to actually do something about it. Maybe there are people looking into this, but I sure as hell haven't heard a single person talking about it.
why don't they just convert to a new religion called terror-ism
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by The4thHorsemen
I always get irritated about people that blame it on Islam and act sketchy or hostile around middle eastern looking people. I don't give any more of a shit about Islam than any other religion, and anybody that thinks all this shit is because of which mythos they believe in has their head up their ass. People aren't pulled towards extremist groups or actions simply because they were raised in a different belief system than your own. It's vastly more complicated than that and ultimately the religion doesn't matter. I think the "war on terror" is a steaming pile. How do you have a war on a an idea? These are disenfranchised people in shitty situations that decide to try to make a difference. It's fucking horrible and we need to find a way to get a better handle of it because this shit is getting ridiculous, but I feel that it's a symptom of an underlying problem. Sure, if you can hunt them down and hit 'em with a drone strike or something then yea, ok, whatever. They're just playing whack-a-mole. I feel like we need to try to better understand what these people are feeling and try to figure out what the causes are, then maybe we could find a way to actually do something about it. Maybe there are people looking into this, but I sure as hell haven't heard a single person talking about it.

It only takes one side to declare war, but both sides to declare peace. If you haven't heard anyone say the same stuff bolded above, you've been living with your head in the sand. The current administration in the US has repeatedly said much the same thing.

It hasn't been working so well. There's no percentage in peace for a radical, since it makes them irrelevant.

As to the rest, of not being able to war against an idea (or more properly, ideology), that's pretty shallow thinking. What if one of the primary tenets of the ideology is the destruction of your society?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Banjocal
why don't they just convert to a new religion called terror-ism

they could call it terrorislam
Quote by kalypto
they could call it terrorislam

Cute, but ultimately counterproductive. I don't agree with Obama on much, but I do agree with him that we aren't at war with Islam.

If we're honest, we all (or nearly all) have friend and neighbors that are Muslim, and these aren't the problem.

As easy as it would be, it's wrong to allow a virulent, radical sect of Islam to capture the religion for it's own use.
Charles Darwin
Quote by The4thHorsemen

I endorse this message.

Although there are many people theorizing a correlation between geography of places where people in 2016 are still living in tribalism the exact same way they were during the time of Alexander the Great and guerilla warfare tactics such as suicide bombing, it just doesn't make the headlines.

I can get behind the idea that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have all played a huge role in the lack of change in these regions. But to just flippantly declare war on Islam as the solution is fucking stupid.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 15, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
If you haven't heard anyone say the same stuff bolded above, you've been living with your head in the sand. The current administration in the US has repeatedly said much the same thing.

I actively avoid the news, so my knowledge about what the administration is saying is almost 0. I'm just going by what people generally talk about. Even while actively avoiding the news it still gets through anyway, so I've just kinda given up and whatever gets through must be more important than the other 30 tragedies this year. People are fucking obsessed with tragedy, feeling angry about injustice, and being stressed the hell out about shit they can and will do nothing about. I guess people's lives are so easy now that they have to look for shit to make them miserable.

Quote by Arby911
It hasn't been working so well. There's no percentage in peace for a radical, since it makes them irrelevant.

I'm thinking more along the lines of What makes a radical? Surely it's not just in-built to the person. People are shaped by their environments, and while there are going to be things particular to the person 'nature', I think this is more of a 'nurture' problem. There's some societal or environmental cause.

Quote by Arby911
As to the rest, of not being able to war against an idea (or more properly, ideology), that's pretty shallow thinking. What if one of the primary tenets of the ideology is the destruction of your society?
I mean it's not a war against a particular group of people with an idea, it's literally a war on the idea of "terrorism". If we were on their side we'd call it a militia or guerrilla warfare, but since they're on the other side it's terrorism. The war on terror allows the government to label any person or group they want "terrorist" and they can use whatever means they want because it's "war". It's not a war against any particular group of "terrorists" it's a war against the literal idea of the word, which they can ascribe whatever meaning they want.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jul 15, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
Cute, but ultimately counterproductive. I don't agree with Obama on much, but I do agree with him that we aren't at war with Islam.

If we're honest, we all (or nearly all) have friend and neighbors that are Muslim, and these aren't the problem.

As easy as it would be, it's wrong to allow a virulent, radical sect of Islam to capture the religion for it's own use.

nah yeah i agree i'm just trying desperately to be a controversial edgelord in order to spark some serious discussion
muslims are rectangles and terrorists are squares
Check out my band Disturbed
I have this great and simple plan to solve terrorism: In every single country that has suffered a terrorist attack in the last few decades, do a poll of every person with a simple question along the lines of "Are you a terrorist who wants to kill innocent people for some reason? Y/N"

Round up everyone who says yes, stick them in the middle of nowhere and blow them up. Make immigrants answer the question whenever they try to enter the country to make sure there are no more problems in future.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
I have this great and simple plan to solve terrorism: In every single country that has suffered a terrorist attack in the last few decades, do a poll of every person with a simple question along the lines of "Are you a terrorist who wants to kill innocent people for some reason? Y/N"

Round up everyone who says yes, stick them in the middle of nowhere and blow them up. Make immigrants answer the question whenever they try to enter the country to make sure there are no more problems in future.

Even better, get every country to make nuclear weapons and agree to blow them all up at a certain time/date and be done with humanity
Quote by Arby911

But isn't that same sect the one that's saying "you're not a real Muslim unless you declare war on the West, help fight to establish a Caliphate, etc., etc."

What I mean is extremists have the same argument as moderates, which is "you're not interpreting this religion the way you're supposed to." Which is probably why condemnations from Muslim scholars and imams on terrorist attacks will not stop them...
Quote by beadhangingOne
But isn't that same sect the one that's saying "you're not a real Muslim unless you declare war on the West, help fight to establish a Caliphate, etc., etc."

What I mean is extremists have the same argument as moderates, which is "you're not interpreting this religion the way you're supposed to." Which is probably why condemnations from Muslim scholars and imams on terrorist attacks will not stop them...

Perhaps we should judge them by their actions instead of their claims?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Perhaps we should judge them by their actions instead of their claims?
This is also a good rubric to hold regarding politicians.

(bit of a platitude I know, but very few seem to actively use it)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 15, 2016,
Quote by JustRooster
Let's keep the Nice thread about Nice. This is the thread for conflated statements and irresponsibly applied statistics about abstracts.

This is a lot of posturing for a guy who thinks "Christians suck just as much as muslims."
Quote by Rossenrot
This is a lot of posturing for a guy who thinks "Christians suck just as much as muslims."

You're right, that isn't a correct statement. Statistically, they suck more when regarding terrorism.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jul 15, 2016,