Poll Options
View poll results: Going going back back to Cali
Yes
19 83%
No
4 17%
Voters: 23.
Page 1 of 2
I'm asking friends and fam and why not UG too.

I hate my job, it's boring as shit. However a position's opened up in the San Francisco office and it's mine if I want it. I'm from NYC fyi.

Same salary, same duties but I'm in California. Should I take it?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
You might be able to get some real pizza if you leave NYC
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

no because it would mean living in close proximity to jrsgtpeppers
Do you like NYC? Do you have a place to live out there? What's the time frame? Have you researched any areas worth living in? Routes to your work? Other living expenses?

Do you think San Francisco will be better with the same job if you hate your job? Does your job depend on location? Is there a chance you'll be happy at your new job in SF rather than in NYC? Do you hate your job or location? How do you feel about heat? How do you feel about an almost entirely different shift in your life? Is what you want?

I would still say yes. If you've got nothing you like in NYC, you're going to miss it anyways. But you'll get used to life in SF. Both are going to be consumed when the tides rise.
Depending on your living situation right now, living in SF may lower your spending power on the same salary.

Also if you really hate your job and don't see any potentials from it, you should look for something else and not stagnate. Bad move, career wise.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
well what's the difference in cost of living, does it matter to you, and do you want to try new things?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
You obviously want to do it or you wouldn't be considering it as an option so do that shit
yeah take it

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Xiaoxi
Depending on your living situation right now, living in SF may lower your spending power on the same salary.

Also if you really hate your job and don't see any potentials from it, you should look for something else and not stagnate. Bad move, career wise.

This is my worry. Career wise this is a dead end I only took until I found something better. Now it's like, same dead end but Cali would be dope af. But same dead end. Ugh.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Nah I think you should be aiming for a higher salary if you wanna move to SF while maintaining your current standard of living.

If you don't care about that then go for it, but I wouldn't. I like SF more than NYC but I think it'd be harder to live comfortably there. Even my rich relatives who have lived there for years are starting to get priced out.
cat
Quote by ErikLensherr
This is my worry. Career wise this is a dead end I only took until I found something better. Now it's like, same dead end but Cali would be dope af. But same dead end. Ugh.
Well on the other hand, SF could be a gateway to better opportunities...especially if you want to get involved in tech.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I've never been to NYC and lived my entire life pretty much in the Bay. San Francisco is dope, but it's hella expensive. Check rent prices in the area the job is located because unless you're getting paid mad money, you'll likely have to commute. One to two hour commutes aren't uncommon in the Bay.
Go over there than look for a better job while doing the current one.

Aren't people from SF supposed to be unbearable though or is that just a TV stereoype?
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by RAB11

Aren't people from SF supposed to be unbearable though or is that just a TV stereoype?

Shitty New Yorker is a far more prevalent stereotype than shitty San Fransiscan
go to SF with current job; try and find a better job
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well on the other hand, SF could be a gateway to better opportunities...especially if you want to get involved in tech.

Yeah, what field are you working in currently, what is your desired career, education, etc.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I'm asking friends and fam and why not UG too.

I hate my job, it's boring as shit. However a position's opened up in the San Francisco office and it's mine if I want it. I'm from NYC fyi.

Same salary, same duties but I'm in California. Should I take it?

Cost-benefit analysis of cost of living and state taxes. Both are maxed levels of libtardation, so it's probably mostly just a factor of rent. Also, considering the exit opportunities nearby for when you inevitably leave the position.

I'd say yeah because that sounds like it'd be fun, and you can surf and snowboard and stuff and not have to deal with "ayyyy can't ya see I'm walking 'ere? Get outta the way ya scamp" yanks
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jul 15, 2016,
Quote by TheChaz
I've never been to NYC and lived my entire life pretty much in the Bay. San Francisco is dope, but it's hella expensive. Check rent prices in the area the job is located because unless you're getting paid mad money, you'll likely have to commute. One to two hour commutes aren't uncommon in the Bay.
my budget's at most like 1200. I've browsed around fb and there's house shares in that range but I don't know where tf they are neighborhood wise. Job's in the financial district tho.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by Fat Lard
Both are maxed levels of libtardation
You know Fatty...sometimes you and I see eye-to-eye

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I thought you were going to Texas anyway.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Rent is higher, almost everything else is cheaper, weed is easier to legally acquire.

Better climate.

Similar craptastic governmental/political climate.

I wouldn't live either place.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by ErikLensherr
my budget's at most like 1200. I've browsed around fb and there's house shares in that range but I don't know where tf they are neighborhood wise. Job's in the financial district tho.

Good lord SF is expensive.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Yeah, $1200 in SF could probably get you a private room, but you may have to look around for a decent location. Good thing about working in the financial district is you'd be within walking distance of two BART stops, so you could live in the East Bay and commute in pretty cheap. Downside is you're not living in the city anymore and that's where all the fun stuff is. Upside to living in east bay is the weather's better and rent's cheaper.
Quote by TheChaz

This is a nightmare.

There are apartments here that are just as expensive, or even more so and still smaller, but those are in super lush locations like islands or the downtown area (which can be like $500 per day). Is this just like your average locale?
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 15, 2016,
Quote by Fat Lard
Well, he could always be Worlds Worst Tenants-tier and just not pay rent. I heard that California's squatter's rights are pretty radical tubular duude

I know you weren't serious, but that only works if you don't have attachable income...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
you're young, you don't have a spouse or kids afaik

if you have a position there for you, you should totally do it - you may not have the same freedom later so now is the time to take calculated risks and explore your opportunities. plus you can network with more people while you're out there.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
This is a nightmare.

There are apartments here that are just as expensive, or even more so and still smaller, but those are in super lush locations like islands or the downtown area (which can be like $500 per day). Is this just like your average locale?

Nah I mean those are the expensive ones, but most of those were for like two bedrooms. I've seen much more expensive
kalypto
I'm glad you guys think about me when I'm gone. I like California and I would rather work in SF than NY. Plus the SF guitar center is pretty rad. And Tommy's joynt down the street is delicious asf.
Nah. If it's the same job, you'll be equally as miserable but living on the other side of the country which comes with its own challenges. Daisy dukes; bikinis on top tho.
Free Ali
Free Lard
California knows how to party.

NYC is an apple.

I know what I would choose.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah I'm not taking it. It's a move but it's not an upward move. Lateral at best. Bad news for Cali is I've got it in my head that I wanna go there now ?? ?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Dunno lol

you're welcome
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Page 1 of 2