Hello all,

I am interested in buying an Orange Micro Terror head, and was wondering if I would need to buy the matching cabinet.
Would it be possible for me to use the head with just headphones, or to hook it up to my Marshall Acton portable speaker?

I hope anyone can help!
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
Unfortunately you can't use heads with just headphones, they always need to be connected to a cabinet otherwise horrible things will happen to the head such as meltdowns (this is excluding the mighty expensive Torpedo Two Notes attenuator things).

From checking out the Marshall Acton specifications - I don't think it has a speaker cable, so you won't be able to connect the head to it.

Just for clarification:

All heads need to attached to a cabinet via speaker cable (this is a different thing from a guitar cable, and anything else). The head has to be lower wattage than the speaker it's going in to, and the cabinet has to be able to support the corresponding Ohm's of the head.

This means that a 50w head should only go into a 50w cabinet and above. And a 8 Ohm head should only go into a 8 Ohm supported cabinet (this can be more complex, but let's keep it simple).

But outside of that, my question is, do you really need that Orange head if you're going to be using headphones? You'll struggle to get the amp to a volume that brings out the amps peak performance through headphones (and you'd need good headphones at that to appreciate it). I understand the desire But is it the practical decision?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
The micro terror has headphone output jack. If you wish you can use only that. You don't need a cabinet connected. It has a solid state output, so running it without a cabinet isn't harmful. You never want to run a pure tube amp without a cabinet or speaker. The output transformer will blow.
Not familiar with the Marshall, but I use a homemade cabinet with my micro terror. As long as impedance and wattage are good.
Samhuinn, yes, you can run the micro terrors (or micro darks) with headphones only. That being said, they really don't sound as good with headphones (though, for the price, it's really not bad).

And, also, to be fair, I'm running my micro dark into a 4x12 Mesa Boogie cab with V30s and I've heard the 8 inch speaker cabs they pair them with are pretty crap.

I'd recommend buying the micro terror (or micro dark, as I said, I like mine because it has an effects loop) and playing it with headphones and then in a while if you have a little bit more money to drop, buy a good 1x12 or 2x12 cab for a hundred bucks or so.

I'm sure you can run it into the marshall speakers but...it won't sound as good as a real cab.
Ah I had no idea you could run the small Orange heads with just headphones That's kinda cool.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Last edited by Anthony1991 at Jul 16, 2016,
Quote by Anthony1991
Ah I had no idea you could run the small Orange heads with just headphones That's kinda cool.

just the micro terror and micro dark for clarification.

I tried a micro terror out back when they were new, the headphone out sounded pretty bad IMO, I also connected it to a 4x12" and that was a very nice surprise. It actually didn't do bad with a tube screamers out front.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I don't think I've ever got an enjoyable sound out of a headphone jack on an amp. With tube amps, it obviously just doesn't work, and I've even had some small solid state amps with headphone jacks, and they sound like crap. If you really have to go with headphones, get an amp modeling multi-effect pedal. They don't sound as good as real amps, but neither do real amps, if you have to use headphones.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6