So yeah, there was an attempted coup in Turkey or whatever, but there's already a thread about that. But I was wondering,

As very Enlightened Western Liberals, what is your opinion on military coups? Are they ever justified? Could you see yourself supporting one?

For example, maybe you think Donald Trump &/or Crooked Hillary are unfit to be President of the United States & must by stopped By Any Means Necessary?
Do we need the military to be in charge so they can kick the shit out of ISIS & find out if sand glows or something?

Maybe you are British & think Brexit is fucked up or something, I don't know maybe a British person can help me out with a better example?

Are you or someone you know in the military? What do you think? Could it happen here (USA, UK, any of those garbage countries that don't speak English)?
I wish the one in Turkey had succeeded. So I guess I am for them as long as the one taking control will improve the human rights situation in the country.

Like even if IS was democratically chosen, I would still support Bernie overtaking them by force.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by neidnarb11890
Bonus question: If there was a populist coup, who would the military support?

I thought a populist coup was a military coup backed by mass protests
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 16, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Intumescent shrew? Trump?

Not gonna dignify this with a response.

Edit: fuuuuuuck
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I thought a populist coup was a military coup backed by mass protests

idk lol

like if armed militia got together & were like "we are gon' overthrow the government!" & a bunch of people supported them, what would The Military do?
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jul 16, 2016,
i doubt things could get fucked up enough to justify a military coup
Quote by neidnarb11890
idk lol

like if armed militia got together & were like "we are gon' overthrow the government!" & a bunch of people supported them, what would The Military do?

Prolly take orders from the commander in chief, whatever they may be. Unless defections
They hardly ever lead to good results, but mention the current elected leader is from a religious party and UG's enlightened fedora crew is right on board.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
They hardly ever lead to good results, but mention the current elected leader is from a religious party and UG's enlightened fedora crew is right on board.

all i knew about erdogan was that he fucks goats and i was on board with it
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by neidnarb11890
Bonus question: If there was a populist coup, who would the military support?

Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 16, 2016,
Quote by neidnarb11890
As very Enlightened Western Liberals, what is your opinion on military coups? Are they ever justified? Could you see yourself supporting one?

They can be justified if your democratically elected leader has thrown democratic processes in the trash and is showing that he is a tyrant who will not be relinquishing power and all of that.

That is the only circumstance in which I would support one - if the current government was undemocratic and suppressing democracy.

For example, maybe you think Donald Trump &/or Crooked Hillary are unfit to be President of the United States & must by stopped By Any Means Necessary?

I don't support a coup to get rid of either, but Hillary is easily more preferable than Trump who doesn't understand how government works and is the more likely to disrespect democratic processes.

On the other hand, Hillary got away with the email thing scot free when there are at least dozens of examples of people who are not rich having to face serious consequences for stuff that probably wasn't near as serious. So there is something undemocratic to be said about the law not being fairly applied to everyone, and rich people getting away with stuff that poor people would not.

Do we need the military to be in charge so they can kick the shit out of ISIS & find out if sand glows or something?

No. But former military guys turned politicians usually end up being good Presidents.

Maybe you are British & think Brexit is fucked up or something, I don't know maybe a British person can help me out with a better example?

Fuck the British

Are you or someone you know in the military? What do you think? Could it happen here (USA, UK, any of those garbage countries that don't speak English)?

I am not in the military but know people who are. It could happen here eventually given the rise of these protest movements who maybe protest legitimate things but don't follow through by using democratic means to achieve their goals. The way to get change is to vote, and if people forget that and say "fuck voting i want ________ now!" then the chance of an "uprising" or a "bernie revolution" is more possible.

But if that were to happen it would not succeed.

God Bless America.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Idk about any of that but I'm actually fascinated that they still happen.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
That shit would have been totally different in USA.

Can you imagine if Obama was holed up in a hotel room and released a video from his I-phone telling citizens to take to the streets and fight the military???
Don't forget how many guns are in the hands of Americans civilians.
Quote by EyeNon15
That shit would have been totally different in USA.

Can you imagine if Obama was holed up in a hotel room and released a video from his I-phone telling citizens to take to the streets and fight the military???
Don't forget how many guns are in the hands of Americans civilians.

In most countries the military hold the power, I'm not sure about the USA though. The population is heavily armed. Could the military subdue the population without resorting to the use of bombs and heavy artillery?
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Quote by EyeNon15
I know Best Buys would run out of 60" flat screens real fucking fast.

yeah
If an American president grossly overstepped their powers, you'd probably see states inform the federal government that they do not consent to be ruled any more, and form a state convention. Depending on the outcome of the next few elections, there is a not-insignificant possibility that this could happen in our lifetimes. A military coup however is highly unlikely.
I'd imagine the military would need the backing of the vast majority of the public in order to hold America, it's just too big for concentrated pockets to seize power.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

If the British Army marched against our government or monarchy, right now I'd support them with every fibre of my being.
I can see myself supporting one under the right conditions. It sort of happened here before although it was a very specific set of circumstances and calling it a military coup would be very reductionist. But if you're fine with that, it was basically an armed militia, functioning very much like an army, that seized control from a government which refused or at least failed to defend its own country.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by EyeNon15
British Army........hahahahaha

you laugh but i think in reality the british army would be fully capable of taking control of the country if they were organised and had the support from high ranking officers, things would have to be seriously fucked up for it to happen though
Quote by kalypto
you laugh but i think in reality the british army would be fully capable of taking control of the country if they were organised and had the support from high ranking officers, things would have to be seriously fucked up for it to happen though

Yeh I misunderstood what BTS was saying.
My entitled American-ness forced me to assume that only Americans would have an opinion on this. So when BTS said British Army marching against "our goverment" I thought of British Army invading USA.............It was late ok, and I hadn't slept in a couple of days.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 17, 2016,
Quote by EyeNon15
Yeh I misunderstood what BTS was saying.
My entitled American-ness forced me to assume that only Americans would have an opinion on this. So when BTS said British Army marching against "our goverment" I thought of British Army invading USA.............It was late ok, and I hadn't slept in a couple of days.
You'd almost think this exact thing happened as a side-show to the important war that was going on in Europe...

Hey, it did.
yeah i doubt it would be possible today though with all the guns and rednecks
Nah that's a total gotcha.
Next time someone scoffs at the Italian Army just show them a painting of a Roman Legion.
That'll show 'em
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 17, 2016,
Quote by Rossenrot
If an American president grossly overstepped their powers, you'd probably see states inform the federal government that they do not consent to be ruled any more

Which would be the state's equivalent of one of those "am I being detained I DO NOT CONSENT" videos.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Jul 17, 2016,
Turkish here. I dont support coups based on what my parents lived through and what I read about post WWII in Turkey.

Cons of Coups:

Its done by military. Military is trained to command and destroy.
Its done by military. Military abuses power.
It doesnt give a fuck about human rights.
It doesnt solve anything because it is atleast as oppresive as Erdogan.
The politically losing side of coups will always persist through time and grow hate. The only reason we have radicalized Islamists in Turkey is because of how 1960's coup treated them.

Now with numbers, during the coup of 1980

• 650,000 citizen got detained for prolonged periods. Ranging from days to upto 10 MONTHS. With no Judicial order or anything similar. At best they got beaten, worst; we didnt ever get news from those detained ever again.
  • 1,250,000 citizen got TAGGED based on their political view.
  • 230,000 citizen got trial at millitary commission of which 7000 has been trialed for execution. 513 got execution sentence, 50 among these sentences got carried on.
  • 30,000 citizen got removed from government jobs because they are "unfavorable".
  • 15,000 had lost their citizenship.
  • 298 died in prison
  • 360 died suspiciously
  • 4000 from academia lost their job
  • 400 journalist trialed for over 4000 years of punishment
  • 31 journalist convicted
  • 3 journalist killed.
  • 70 tonnes of newspapers and published material destroyed. 133,000 books burned

This is just an example of a regular coup. It would be hard to visualise what a coup looks like being grow up in a western country where nothing similar to a coup happened in past 40-50 years. It is something that leaves humanity behind. It is seeing your friends cut off head infront of your doorstep in the morning, or someone reporting you to military because you have a piece of writing by Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy. Next thing you know you are hanged from your hands, naked and wet getting electrocuted by some maniac who has been waiting all those years for a chance like this to arise.
Quote by arcanom
Mint and chocolate shouldnt be togather.
"Literally Worst Post of 2k16" approved by After Eight Lovers...
I probably would not support one. Definitely not at this moment in time in the USA. My life has been stable thus far but my opinion is based on what my parents/grandparents have experienced. Not a fan of what many coups and revolutions etc have done.

I am not in the military. I know 2 people in the US military and many more who are serving other countries.
cat
My country owes the fact that it's a democracy to a military coup so I'm not entirely unsympathetic to them in general. Then again, my country also owes the fact that it was a dictatorship for over 40 years to a military coup so
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Is it anything like a chicken coup?

Nope, it isn't mmm mmm good