Carmine Street Guitars has a line of guitars made from wood recovered from old buildings.

http://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/from-the-bones-of-new-york-city-guitars-fit-for-the-best/?xrs=CNNHP
http://www.carminestreetguitars.com/

They're not the only ones- Rice Guitars does something like this as well. And, of course, there's Flaxwood. I've seen small luthiers do recycled material guitars on a single project scale.
http://www.ricecustomguitars.com/
http://www.flaxwood.com/home/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!

www.prismaguitars.com/

these guys make em from old skateboards.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Taylor has done this for years. There are quite a number of "special" editions of guitars built of reclaimed, historically significant, sinker and other woods not normally associated with production guitar building.
Quote by rocknroll93

www.prismaguitars.com/

these guys make em from old skateboards.

That's a new one on me! Thanks for that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dspellman
Taylor has done this for years. There are quite a number of "special" editions of guitars built of reclaimed, historically significant, sinker and other woods not normally associated with production guitar building.

This one is quite famous, the original "pallet guitar":

It apparently sounds quite decent.

FWIW, I think that using recycled timber is a great idea, it adds mojo.
Major Mojo recycled wood for guitars is an awesome idea.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

three of my pedalboards are made from reclaimed wood from a 1940's house my company did a renovation on. i pulled the 1"x3" planks from the grand staircase. I also have large chunks for doing some bodies some day.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Another recycler to add to the list:

http://www.kochelguitars.com

I'd never buy a guitar on the merit that the wood it was made from was recycled. It's just a marketing gimmick that does nothing significant to help the environment. If I actually really cared about wood sustainability, I'd promote that cause on an industry where my investment would have a more significant impact, such as furniture manufacturing. Granted that's not as fun or as hip as spending it on guitars.

In fact the less the materials of the guitars I own are sustainable, the more validation I get and the more likely the opinion I put forward on guitar forums becomes the calm voice of reason in the eyes of other regular users. Can't complain there.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 1, 2016,
While it is true that the furniture industry uses orders of magnitude more wood than all of the instrument builders combined, like the song says, everything counts in large amounts.

Besides, even though I wouldn't buy a guitars solely because it was made of recycled wood, it could still be a factor in my decision. And that could depend on the materials used. If I were a skateboarder, one of those Prismas might really appeal to me on a whole different level beyond "it looks cool". Or that guy who made the guitar from Harley Davidson pallets- his dad having worked for HD.

Wood recycled from a church pew might have special appeal to a parishioner. Wood recycled from an antique long table might be of superior quality to what is otherwise currently available.

Oak isn't a common material in guitars, but they're out there. So how do you think an Auburn alumnus might feel about a guitar made from one of the trees that yahoo poisoned a few years ago?

Sure a drop in the ocean is a drop nonetheless. But I think if the intention to buy something is because it's more sustainable, then I think alternate industries where the profit made from my purchase having a chance in going into R&D to developing more sustainable methods of manufacture is going to be a slightly bigger drop in the ocean.

I don't find recycled materials to be all that attractive aesthetically, but that's personal taste. Nor have I come across an instrument that is made from a material that has sentimental value to me. Though I can understand why someone else might, but I think the phenomenon is more an anomaly than a serious trend.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'd never buy a guitar on the merit that the wood it was made from was recycled. It's just a marketing gimmick that does nothing significant to help the environment.

It may have, in that it "calls attention" to environmental issues. After all, it's hearts and minds that make the changes.

All that aside, I like guitars that have a story attached.

"This guitar is made from a spare railing originally set aside for anticipated repairs for the Titanic. The factory that built and stored it was bombed during WWII and never rebuilt, and when they started clearing the area for new homes, they discovered a whole collapsed room full of Titanic spares, clearly labeled as to location on the ship..."

I think that's mostly what the recycled barn/bridge/pallet/building/outhouse/desk wood thing is all about.
IOW, "mojo".

If you were born an raised in New York one of those guitars made from reclaimed wood from hundred year old buildings would be cool as hell IMO serious mojo.

Billy Gibbons had two guitars built from a large cypress beam from the ramshakle cabin that Muddy Waters grew up on Stovall Farms in the Mississppi delta, Sid Graves the directer of Living Blues magazine took to them to see the house which was scheduled to be demolished. Billy was told to take the beam as a souvenier and he had two guitars made out of it based on a design similar to a guitar that Muddy played, and added a graphic of the Mississippi river running the length of the guitar. The first one was a prototype that he kept, the second was a much finer instrument that was donated to the Delta Blues Museum.

Talk about some serious mojo the guitars were aptly named Muddywood!

"The museum guitar is really the `player.' There was just something about it upon completion. It not only sounded great, but it played like melted butter." -Billy Gibbons

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

While TDB has logic on his side, I feel a good deal more comfortable buying a guitar that uses sustainable materials - bone, plantation timber etc - rather than one that uses a non-renewable resource. It doesn't necessarily have to be recycled, but that would certainly add mojo, as already mentioned. You still can't escape from the use of resources in the manufacturing process though, and I suspect that the total resource cost should be more of a worry than the materials contribution.
My wife and I have been watching a show called Dark Woods Justice on Discovery that chronicles law enforcement's fight against an underground black market on Washington state's Olympic peninsula where poachers are illegally harvesting trees, especially the western big leaf maple. The trees are worth thousands for the curly grain which is sold to guitar manufacturers for quilted maple caps and other musical instruments. Trees are being stolen from both private and government land.

Fascinating show these timber theives face lengthy prison sentences but are willing to take the risk, just a single tree can be worth $10,000 the Forrest's are deep and vast making it difficult to catch the timber poachers!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 1, 2016,
^

They should bake the maple to make it legal.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's in Washington. Odds are good it's half-baked already...

Gonna toke some big leaf.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 2, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
^

They should bake the maple to make it legal.

I suppose watching that show should make me feel guilty, wondering if the quilt maple top on my Washburn is from illegally harvested wood but...
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 2, 2016,