Hey,

Knowing that i want an aggresive/rich/crazy kinda sound like Slash, Jimmy Page, Paul Langlois, i have 3 options now for my new Epiphone Les Paul:

-Standard (500$)
-Tribute (1000$)
-Traditional (500$)

Which one do you highly recommend me, which is the best ? Does it worth to put 500$ more from the standard or traditional for the tribute ?

Thanks for help
Without additional info about your playing situation, I'd get the Traditional out of those at those prices.

Those prices seem pretty steep, by the way. Where are you located? Also, what gear are you currently playing?
Yeah where do you live? In the states or Germany, you should be able to get a Gibson Les Paul Studio/50's or 60's Tribute for 700 to 800 dollars or euros o.O
However, out of those options I'd choose the Standard because Heritage Cherry Sun Burst is love.
I live in canada and i have to ship everything. The tribute cherry is 1100$ for me
For under a grand the best Les Paul isn't a Gibson or an Epiphone usually. Electra Omegas came down in price recently and mine kicks the shit out of every Gibson I've ever played.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Seconding the Electra Omega and Omega Prime. I have a Prime myself. It is a pure pleasure to play, and I got mine before the price drop. Instead of resentment, though, I see it as an opportunity to snag a second one in the near future.

Of the LP-style guitars I own, only my Reverend Rick Vito sig is more fun to play. But that model only comes with a P90/Supro singlecoil or 2 miniHB pickup array- neither has a really HB LP tone.

Edit: I did find one- with a Bigsby- deeply discounted, though...
https://reverb.com/item/1557838-reverend-rick-vito-signature-gold-top-marked-down#policies-tab
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 18, 2016,
Quote by j.ethier45
I live in canada and i have to ship everything. The tribute cherry is 1100$ for me

Have you looked at Godins? They have some interesting LP variants in production and recently discontinued.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Of the three you listed easily the Tribute. Much better sounding instruments.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
PLEASE guys i want a choice between those i said, not anything else...i dont mind if theres other good guitar i want a Epi les paul. Thanks
Where in Canada are you? The price on a Trib should be $969 plus taxes max

https://www.long-mcquade.com/19803/Guitars/Electric/Epiphone/Les_Paul_Tribute_Plus_O_f_in_Black_Cherry.htm

A Trad Pro is $799 and a Standard LP Plus top is $599.

With the Trib you get better PUS, a Hardshell Case, Switchcraft electronics, solid Maple cap (with veneer) on a solid mahogany body not a maple veneer over some sort mahogany like wood. Better tuners etc.
Moving on.....
If i take a standard, Im taking the plustop pro so it's an awesome AAA mapletop which I have no problem with. Performance whise, i need to make sure that the old C neck on the tribute (which lots of people complain about) won't cause me problem. If we exclude the guitar looking whise, why should I put 500$ more for the tribute rather than the standard ?
Quote by oneblackened
Of the three you listed easily the Tribute. Much better sounding instruments.
+1 on the '60s Tribute. A quality instrument with top shelf hardware/electronics that holds it's own (and in some cases outperforms) the low/mid grade Gibson LP's. The fit/finish on my Tribute is excellent, and it's a pleasure to play. I've owned a crap Epi LP or two...this isn't one of them.
+1 Tribute! The Tribute comes with Gibson pickups so that's the main reason for the price increase.

If you're into doing a little internal work and soldering you could go a bit different route. I bought a Epi Les Paul Stardard plus top pro (because I loved the finish and color, trans blue) and then upgraded the wiring/pots and pups. Super happy with how it turned out and also it feels special to me because I did the work.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Quote by DirtFarmer
+1 Tribute! The Tribute comes with Gibson pickups so that's the main reason for the price increase.

If you're into doing a little internal work and soldering you could go a bit different route. I bought a Epi Les Paul Stardard plus top pro (because I loved the finish and color, trans blue) and then upgraded the wiring/pots and pups. Super happy with how it turned out and also it feels special to me because I did the work.

It also has better electronics and hardware, which also is part of the price increase. I had an Epi LP a while back and I swapped out everything minus the tuners and frets.

It made it a decent instrument, but then I moved on to guitars that are more suited to what I play (i.e. ESP, PRS).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 18, 2016,
The tribute also comes with a case, right?

Is buying used an option to you? I can't imagine Epi Les Pauls being rare in any used market, really.
Buy used

Where are you in canada where you cant go to steves or long and mcquade?

The tribute is better cause it has a legit solid maple top and closer construction to a legit one and better hardware. You get a nice 2 piece back and a 2 piece maple top. Not just a maple veneer and a 5 piece back veneered to look like 2 among other things

I dont see lots of people complaining about the tribute neck shape at all. Care to share your findings? Im curious.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jul 18, 2016,
I'd deffo try to find a used Tribute just from the specs(i've never played one).But i would'nt say it's worth $500 more than the Standard for the new price.
If I'm really badly caught, ill buy used but im mainly looking for new. And yes I went to these stores and they only have the Standard. The guy told me he can't command a tribute :/
Last edited by j.ethier45 at Jul 18, 2016,
Quote by j.ethier45
If I'm really badly caught, ill buy used but im mainly looking for new. And yes I went to these stores and they only have the Standard. The guy told me he can't command a tribute :/

then you're buying at the wrong store. For our American friends posting on price differences right now CAD to USD is anywhere between 25-30%! Yorkville Sound is THE Canadian Distributor for Gibson/Epiphone in Canada and all product comes through them regardless of the final store. They price based on their paid price plus markup and at our worst just around new year we were 33 cents on the USD short! SO $500 CAD more is to you 350-375 difference not 500. And our prices suck!
OP the price I quoted on a Tribute + is a real Epi Tribute Plus not a 60's Trib. It's a lot more guitar than any dolled up standard Epi including their "Custom" LP.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 20, 2016,
If you can get to other stores, do so and try them out.
Some of the lp studios are real gems. At least mine is.
If you can play them, the one that feels and sounds the best is the best. But out of those I would probably pick a standard.