First off, how'd I do?

Second off, any idea how to value handmade replicas? The official ones are between $900 for ones with only a passing resemblance to $25,000 for the limited edition ones. That's a mighty big range. I managed to make this one for only around $100 in parts but quite a lot of work so I was curious if there's any rule or opinions regarding market value.

Link for other pics and stuff:
http://mattwins.blogspot.com/2016/07/building-eddie-van-halen-frankenstrat.html
Generally no particular value to personal replicas. It's still a $100/parts guitar.
The "paint" job has been replicated by a couple of vinyl axe-wrap companies, so you can lay that down for around $35.
luke.g.henderso

Thanks, and it sounds pretty great! I had to shim a lot to get the action right because the Floyd is naturally higher than a Strat trem, but after getting that about right it plays pretty well too. One thing is that the single coil is way weaker than the humbucker, even more than I expected - just a MiM Strat single running at 5.5k ohms compared to the humbucker at around 15k ohms. But hey, the original didn't have the option anyway so no loss.
Nice looking piece! I like that you captured some of the warn look in the paint.

I am with dspellman on the pricing part of it. Custom guitars like that really only hold value to the person that made them and / or commissioned them. When you see a wide disparity in price among replicas like that, it's because people put in a lot of time and they think the will get it back. When in reality, there probably aren't a whole lot of people out there looking to buy a one-off when they can get the graphic kit for so cheap. The people that are looking for a one-off will generally custom order it and have it built the way they want it.

That said, you might be able to get a little bit extra if you find the right market. Finding the right market and getting people to appreciate the amount of work you put into it can be super tough, however. I work as a graphic designer, so believe when I tell you that getting people to appreciate the time and effort that went into an "art" piece is painfully difficult.
Quote by Matt (GGR)
I had to shim a lot to get the action right because the Floyd is naturally higher than a Strat trem, but after getting that about right it plays pretty well too. One thing is that the single coil is way weaker than the humbucker, even more than I expected - just a MiM Strat single running at 5.5k ohms compared to the humbucker at around 15k ohms. But hey, the original didn't have the option anyway so no loss.

Now you know why Floyds are so often recessed.

I've been using single coil size humbuckers in the neck position of a couple of my guitars, but the output will surprise you. I settled on a DiMarzio Fast Track II, which is about 18K, and was originally designed to be used as the bridge pickup of a super strat. My bridge humbucker on those guitars is a slightly hot (9.2kohm) '57, so as you can imagine, the neck pickup is a lot louder. It's also a great choice (I've learned not to believe in "balanced" pickup sets). If you look closely at most of Neal Schon's guitars over the past 10 years or so, that same pickup is sitting next to the sustainer driver in a lot of his guitars as well. I have photos if you're curious and some explanations as to why it's there.
what is it worth? unfortunately about what you have into it, $100 in parts. I know you put a lot of time into it, and you probably think I am being a jerk, but that is about all it will fetch. you like it, keep it for yourself and enjoy it, you did a nice job.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I imagine that there are people who would like an accurate replica but not want to actually go through the work to do it themselves, and would pay decent money for one. Other than that, an inaccurate or lower quality one probably wouldn't make much more than the parts value.
I think the general rule is, "it's worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it", so if you plan on selling it, I think you need to find a way to maximise exposure to the type of people that would most desire it. So, if there's an EVH forum, advertising it on there might be your best bet?