So I've been a bit disappointed with my tone recently - I've got some good pedals, and have the sound I want, but it just feels a bit lacking in terms of punch and liveliness. Pushing the treble/mids up a bit to add that in just produces a slightly harsh, ice picky fizz I don't like. I'm convinced it's one of 2 things I have to do then. I've ordered some new JJ EECC83S tubes to see if one of the preamp tubes has caused a bit of loss in drive, and to see if they can make my tone a bit more lively. At the same time, I'm about to order an MXR Line boos/driver to replace my bad monkey. I've never particularly liked the bad monkey, and even when using it as a boost (volume high, gain low) it just makes my tone sound a bit digital and thin. I feel like a clean boost will not only keep my tone uncoloured, but also give it that bite I need to make things like pinch harmonics really stand out, without the thin effect on things like chords. I had a wireless jack before, and I did actually like it to have the output from the guitar slightly hotter than a standard cable, but it introduced a bit of noise I couldn't deal with, and made my Decimator II go a bit weird with handling quieter sounds.

Now where would the best place for it be in my chain? I don't want the actual volume boost from it, so I won't be putting it in the loop. Considering my current signal chain in my sig, would it best early on? (after the tuner) or at the end of the chain after my fuzz before going into the amp input? As a way of sort of 'evening' out the levels, because the octave causes a bit of signal drop, and then the fuzz is being set higher to compensate. Or perhaps even having this somewhere in between? Almost replacing the bad monkey's position directly. I have a feeling I'd be leaving it on at all times, as I have enough channels otherwise to deal with clean/low/high gain tones. I just want all of them to be a bit more 'forward' in their projection.
Gibson SG (Goddess - Violet Burst / Standard - Alpine White)
Laney Ironheart 120W and Celestion V30's

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
(Loop) ISP Decimator G String II > Hardwire Supernatural
Voodoo Labs PP2
If the tubes in the amp are original and you have had the amp for a few years, you may just want to replace the whole set if you can.

I think the MXR Line Boost pedal would work somewhat, but I think what you need is a proper Tubescreamer. The Bad Monkey is great for budget Tubescreamer tones, but I think you have just grown out of it. A regular TS9 will do you well. It is not a transparent boost, as it boosts the mids a bit and cuts a bit of bass. That actually helps you cut through a band mix, though, and methinks it is the most common Boost OD seen on br00tz music pedalboards.

There is also the 805 Drive from Seymour Duncan which is Tubescreamer based, but with a 3-band Active EQ. You may also want to try a different flavor of OD- Klones have a bit different of an emphasis and sound a bit more open and chime-y to me, but I do not see them on many heavy-oriented boards.

As far as placement, where you have the Bad Monkey is where I would place the replacement. Maybe try after the Fuzz as well? And also be sure you are not scooping mids. Also check your cabling to be sure you do not have a dodgy connection somewhere, robbing you of precious tone.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 18, 2016,
I'd recommend an EQ-able TS clone, like the Seymour Duncan 805 or the Green Rhino. Flat clean boosts have never worked too well for me for driving stuff.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
I use a Budda Zenman for this application. It's a tubescreamer (with vintage and modern modes to change the EQ) and a clean boost all in one chassis.

I find that the clean boost is on most of the time for medium to high gain tones.

FWIW I think the Bad Monkey is junk - the buffer on that pedal was awful with my Mesa Dual Rec Roadster. . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
+3.1415 bad monkeys are shite.

I would not (and don't plan on) buying a typical three knob ts-thing-a-majigger again. the green rhino is nice, the cmattmods signa drive is nice, fulltone fulldrive or OCD can be great, etc. all have more of a variety of tones and are built as good if not better for the same price give or take.

I do like my timmy a lot though too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Also, I'm pretty sure my bad Monkey is currently the only buffer in my chain. Not sure about the rest of the pedals but I recall most (if not all) being true bypass. The MXR Line Driver, has something called a hardwire buffer? as in, it's on when engaged or something?

I just don't know about overdrives, I feel like I want to increase my gain cleanly, not adding a wee bit of distortion in. Even when I have the level high and the gain low on the BM, it still introduces some distortion into my clean signal, and I think that's where the fizzy drive is coming from when it's activated. It seems I can't have the extra clarity and punch without introducing a bit of naff fizz alongside it. That's where I think the Line Driver will help, and it will also help balance out some of m effects. The octave drops some signal, and if the Line Driver is between that and my fuzz it will compensate the octave, and then drive the fuzz a bit harder for a fuzz with more presence and clarity.

But I don't know, yeah perhaps I need an OD still... I've yet to actually try a good one lol, but I hear people say there's not that much difference audibly between a good and bad one. Well, an difference, but not £25 vs £100 difference in tone.
Gibson SG (Goddess - Violet Burst / Standard - Alpine White)
Laney Ironheart 120W and Celestion V30's

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
(Loop) ISP Decimator G String II > Hardwire Supernatural
Voodoo Labs PP2
trashedlostfdup
I was under the impression that the OCD and its relations weren't so great for boosting things. My EHX Glove (OCD clone) definitely likes being boosted more than boosting other things.

Quote by TheLazer
Even when I have the level high and the gain low on the BM, it still introduces some distortion into my clean signal, and I think that's where the fizzy drive is coming from when it's activated.
I don't. I would suspect that's down to EQ, as using TS's and their many clones as boosts has worked for just about everyone in metal.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 19, 2016,
K33nbl4d3

I agree personally with you about the ocd, but I know a few people that get great tone using them as a boost. I run sound for a few people who use an ocd to boost, and it works in their scenario.

My fulldrive is my favorite boost at the moment. very flexible, and the boost even makes it better for a wide range of applications.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by metalmingee
I use a Budda Zenman for this application. It's a tubescreamer (with vintage and modern modes to change the EQ) and a clean boost all in one chassis.

I find that the clean boost is on most of the time for medium to high gain tones.

FWIW I think the Bad Monkey is junk - the buffer on that pedal was awful with my Mesa Dual Rec Roadster. . .

I also love this OD, my favorite go to pedal.
If you're open to trying other clean boosts you could try adding an Earthquaker Black Eye boost at the end of your chain. It functions as a buffer as well. I have used one for quite a while and I really dig the pedal.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
diabolical

I discovered this one via ReValver then bought the real world pedal
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .