Short Story Contest 2016, V2: Creative Limitations Emphasize Our Inadequacies

Page 1 of 3
Welcome to the Short Story Contest 2016 V2 (like the rocket) Thread

Submission deadline: 26 August 2016

How to submit:

Send me a PM with either your story or a link to your story hosted off-site. When you do, please also state which limitations (see below) you included in the story for voting purposes later on.

---------------------------------------------

Contest Rules:

1) It’s open theme (write about whatever topic you want).

2) Pick at least one of the following writing limitations to incorporate in your story:

no adjectives

second-person perspective

only future tense

no punctuation except for periods

all in dialogue

no human/humanoid or anthropomorphic non-human characters; no "people" or "actors" in the narrative

3) Word limit of 2200 (4-5 single-spaced pages in a Word document)

4) No plagiarism, of course.

---------------------------------------------

After the submission period ends, I’ll create a new thread with a voting option and anonymous links to the story submissions.

Also, feel free to check out the submissions from the previous short story competition here.

Also also, talk to other Pit writers dorks here about general writing topics. In addition to the popular vote, we'll be having a jury/panel type competition, and that discussion will eventually be held there.

Coca-Cola: Drink Coca-Cola! Drink it! Fun! Drink it now! Yes! Drink. Driiink.
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Last edited by Aeolian Harmony at Aug 22, 2016,
That's interesting
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
No characters is making me curious as hell.

dooo it, dooo it

write a story about tectonic shift or something lol
Quote by Skibolky
I'm gonna like everyone's post in hurr who's even a little enthused.
Quote by Skibolky
It's because of the two dicks, yeh?
Quote by Skibolky
Dope, im thinking of combining 2nd person and future tense. Writing some kind of correspondence for the end of the world.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
Dope, im thinking of combining 2nd person and future tense. Writing some kind of correspondence for the end of the world.

You will write that.

heehee
Quote by Skibolky
I'm considering taking a stab at second-person perspective, possibly with just dialogue.
Quote by ultimate-slash
I'm considering taking a stab at second-person perspective, possibly with just dialogue.

"You can try doing that if you like, but that sounds especially tough."

I'm personally going to try to get something together in future tense.
Quote by Skibolky
Can no characters and only dialogue be done?

As in how is the contest defining character?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Can no characters and only dialogue be done?

As in how is the contest defining character?

lemme edit the OP

short answer--I can't think of any way to actually do that
Quote by Skibolky
Last edited by Aeolian Harmony at Jul 19, 2016,
Yeah, basically anything with the sentience to speak would be a character.

makes u think
Quote by Skibolky
I think no characters would be much more difficult because it seems like it'd more greatly influence the plot. A huge part of the collective storytelling tradition involves more or less reporting the news on what characters are doing.

I had the thought that a story with all dialogue could involve characters who are actors preparing for a play/film/etc by reading parts of a script and conversing about it. Get all kind of funky layers of plot and context working there.
Quote by Skibolky
I'm thinking of telling it through location but can't see a way where that isn't sappy as hell.

Aeolian why do you torment yourself so. That idea is great but sounds like a little over the line of challenging
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 20, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I'm thinking of telling it through location but can't see a way where that isn't sappy as hell.

You could do something genuinely ooey-gooey sentimental and campy, then give it a snappy title so we think it's some pomo ironic thing, but really it's a harrowing critique of the use of irony and pomo-culture's inability to distinguish sincerity from parody.

Aeolian why do you torment yourself so. That idea is great but sounds like a little over the line of challenging

I'm not gonna actually attempt it lol. I like the idea of it, but I'll just sit on that idea for a while. It'd go way down some rabbit hole of complications real fast.
Quote by Skibolky
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
You could do something genuinely ooey-gooey sentimental and campy, then give it a snappy title so we think it's some pomo ironic thing, but really it's a harrowing critique of the use of irony and pomo-culture's inability to distinguish sincerity from parody.

And beguile our pomo overlords? I'll be cast out!

I'm not gonna actually attempt it lol. I like the idea of it, but I'll just sit on that idea for a while. It'd go way down some rabbit hole of complications real fast.

Yeah for real. I just gave it a minute's thought and realized how fertile the idea is, though. Authenticity, context itself, authorial projection. At least two of those actors are dating, and maybe they're confronted with their issues through the play etc

Two stories, bunch of characters x2. Oooh boy
we're doing this again?

hardly anyone was interested last time

go ahead and count my story "the rain" as my submission for this one too lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

lol ok that's fine

I think we're more doing it for our own sake than for big-time contest reasons. I know I am--having a contest is an extra incentive to write at all.
Quote by Skibolky
Quote by Aeolian Harmony

I think we're more doing it for our own sake than for big-time contest reasons. I know I am--having a contest is an extra incentive to write at all.

This, very much so. In a similar fashion, the weekly songwriting threads are the main reason I managed to actually complete and record any songs. And to think I've done about 40/50 since participating for the first time.

Honestly, this thread/comp is a godsend as far as I'm concerned.
Writing for its own sake outside of work or school takes a lot of motivation. I think this type of thing could be the little bit of structure and organization for people interested in writing more, but a little distracted by the rest of life.

plus also havn a little communiteh is nice
Quote by Skibolky
First paragraph done yesterday evening

No idea where exactly it's going from here

I'll figure it out
Quote by Skibolky
I usually make outlines, but this time I was like ehhh too much effort, I'll go haphazardly
Quote by Skibolky
I still have no idea what I'm doing yet. Jotted down a couple of ideas and both are tempting.

Question about no characters: if I were to include a fictional news article contained in the story, for example, would that be an example of a character communicating? Or would that only be true if I signed a name to that article?

Cuz if things created by people imply creators who are characters, wouldn't that sort of exclude... everything?

This is gonna be fun
I think an epistolary method like that, in which characters are referred to as doing actions, but aren't driving the plot per se, would fit with the spirit of it.

This one on the list seems by far the most difficult on the list
Quote by Skibolky
I've got a super kooky idea then. I legit was about to do only periods and no characters about a centerbeam. Cuz yknoe, lumber racks seemed edgy

It's difficult but in a way I enjoy
no promises but i have a hard to pull off (for me anyway lol) idea
I think at this point we all have hard to pull off ideas haha

Btw that countdown is ace. I need to look at that until I panic.
Quote by Skibolky
A tiny part of an endless place,
there's so much space it takes all of us to hold it up.

Look at this happy little community we have.

EDIT: No adjectives has created a very fun little back and forth for me. It's making me play with simile and analogy in a way I never had before and I'm really digging it.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jul 23, 2016,
Page 1 of 3