Another faux djent song for you djentlemen! trying to work out an EP soon, working on vocals and recording. as always I'm excited to hear your thoughts. I'm really going for a "if Periphery was a pop band" sound, and really like melody over heaviness, but I like the syncopation and stuff of their music so much.

and of course C4C

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmp0u60o00eky2s/WHERE%20TO%20DJENTS_.mp3?dl=0
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jul 28, 2016,
"Where to Djents" --- I felt that the mix was a little to compressed and trebly. I felt at certain parts, the cymbals, guitars, synth and snare were all fighting to be heard in the higher register particular at about 1:00-1:12. Similarly the leads at 1:30-2:00 were drowned out by the cymbals. I hear this approach in other artists that mix Djent too, but I feel this leaves sections sounding a little sterile, when I know there's a lot of dynamic potential available. Overall, I think there's an excellent foundation here, but I believe working a bit more on the mix would improve delivery of the track itself.

Could you check out my track Pilfered seeds at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1705702 ?
Thanks for reviewing my track. This track definitely has some excitement. There are parts where the guitar and drums lock in real well and it sounds really tight. The main thing that needs improvement is the mix. A little too much high end, but also there s alot of muddiness in the mix, try a high pass filter on your guitars and that should clean things up. Also try scanning with a parametric eq on your guitars to find the sections that are really harsh and do a 3-5bd cutt in those areas.
Great track! I agree that the high end is a bit much. Great playing, and I love the dynamics in the tune. The playing is also very tight, and I think the sound of the guitars are awesome. So overall a great track, but I would agree with the poster above that the mix needs some work. I found this tune very enjoyable, and it really isn't my genre, so well done!
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by xevious1
Thanks for reviewing my track. This track definitely has some excitement. There are parts where the guitar and drums lock in real well and it sounds really tight. The main thing that needs improvement is the mix. A little too much high end, but also there s alot of muddiness in the mix, try a high pass filter on your guitars and that should clean things up. Also try scanning with a parametric eq on your guitars to find the sections that are really harsh and do a 3-5bd cutt in those areas.
Quote by wyldelife
Great track! I agree that the high end is a bit much. Great playing, and I love the dynamics in the tune. The playing is also very tight, and I think the sound of the guitars are awesome. So overall a great track, but I would agree with the poster above that the mix needs some work. I found this tune very enjoyable, and it really isn't my genre, so well done!
Quote by silvadolla
"Where to Djents" --- I felt that the mix was a little to compressed and trebly. I felt at certain parts, the cymbals, guitars, synth and snare were all fighting to be heard in the higher register particular at about 1:00-1:12. Similarly the leads at 1:30-2:00 were drowned out by the cymbals. I hear this approach in other artists that mix Djent too, but I feel this leaves sections sounding a little sterile, when I know there's a lot of dynamic potential available. Overall, I think there's an excellent foundation here, but I believe working a bit more on the mix would improve delivery of the track itself.

Could you check out my track Pilfered seeds at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1705702 ?

I've made some improvements to the mix, bumped some mids, highpassed the guitars and fixed where the cymbals sit in the mix. if you'd all take a look I'd appreciate it!
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
If you're going for sort of a poppy Periphery sound, I gotta say you really nailed it. The song djents but it's never overbearing with its djentiness and it sounds upbeat the whole way through. I really like the flow of it as well, every section of the song seems to be right at home where it is and it's dynamic enough that no part of the song loses that "oompf" factor and the song as a whole remains interesting throughout. I love those clean guitar sections with the little chime synth thing going on in the background. Production-wise I think it sounds great, the mix sounds really big and dense but it still has enough breathing room that it doesn't feel squished or cluttered.

Admittedly I'm not especially big on djent, but this is a really good song. I've listened to it a few times now and I don't know that I really have any advice to give or criticisms to offer. Great job dude!
First things first, thanks a lot for reviewing my track!

I gotta say I really enjoyed this song, it's really catchy and well written (literally got goosebumps at 0:33). This song is totally screaming for vocals, I'd love to hear them on the track. Mixing wise I think it sounds great, so I would leave it as it is. Great job!
I liked how it opened up! I gotta agree with SilvaDolla, as it does seem a lil too high end (but not compressed). The intro really and chorus(?) around 1:14 really is Periphery-esque and I'm guessing they're among your favorite bands. The solo tho seemed more you than Periphery and I guess it was an okay touch at the beginning, so it nailed you're idea of being more melodious than advanced that is the band. I feel that with some good vocals, this track would really make many, many heads turn (I dare say Periphery's as well). Dope track I wouldn't go as far as saying it's djenty, but it does have that more moden metal feel to it and you've certainly been doing your homework! I enjoyed the track man. You're a talented guitarist (it felt like it has a great flow), your songwriting skills sound pretty damn good, the song is catchy and the production quality is absolutely orgasmic (mind you, I used old monitors tho xD can't find my headphones). I'm glad I stopped by

C4C plz?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1706639#3