Hello All!
I'm trying to decide what pickups to drop into a Carvin guitar I just picked up. Its got the H - S - S setup. I've been using single coils for most of my time as a guitarist but recently I've been working as part of a trio and I want to fatten up my sound, so I'm looking at putting a humbucker into the neck setting. I'm playing out of a Rivera Quiana right now.

These are the tones that I like:
Clean:
Mark Engles of Dredg

Dirty:
Both the boys from Circa Survive
Mike Weiss of MeWithoutYou

Here are the neck pickups I'm looking at:
Hot Rails Strat Neck by Seymour Duncan
JB JR. STRAT by Seymour Duncan
DiMarzio DP180 Air Norton S Strat Pickup

If anyone has any experience with these pickups or other ones you think I might like based on that info, please lemme know.

Thanks!!
What's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I don't know the Air Norton, but the other two would certainly be valuable options.

You might also contact Lace about the Alumitone line. Their cleans are stellar, and they distort pretty well.

Then there's brands like The Creamery, Vintage Vibe and Rio Grande. All are custom winders. I know Rio Grande makes some pretty beefy sc-sized HBs & P90s, and I wouldn't be surprised if the other two couldn't do likewise.

Here's someone demoing the Rio Grande Railgunner sc-sized HB:
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 19, 2016,

Hot Rails are more metal, while the JB Jr is more of a hard rock (think 80s) pickup. You might go for a Hot Rails/Cool Rails (for the middle) combo.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Try Rose pickups, Ken is a custom winder and he can make you a pickup that gets you the sound you are after.. http://rosepickups.com/
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Jul 20, 2016,