I just got a brand new ESP ltd m-330r, and the distorted tone is coming out muddy and low powered. Cleans sound good though. My amp is a Peavey Vypyr 60 watt tube. But I don't think that's the issue, because I've tried several different amps including an expensive tube at guitar center. I try to keep the EQ settings at around 5, and the cables probably aren't the problem, because I've tried a few of those as well. Also I have to crank up the gain to get the best sound out of it.

Here's an example of a good distortion tone coming from this guitar:

By the way, the Kelly/Vypyr combo sounds great.
I would get a new battery first, then I would check pickup height.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
1. New battery,

2. Adjust the pickup height, if your pickups are too low they can sound muddy.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I changed the battery to a new energizer one, and I raised the treble ends to 1/16th inch and the bass side to 1/8th inch between the string and pickup and it's still kinda muddy. Are those the right measurements?
Last edited by xcamero360 at Jul 19, 2016,
When adjusting pickup height there's no right measurement. Use your ears and adjust until it sounds right to you.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
what are your gain settings? If they are to high then you will get a muddy mess. also just setting all your tone controls to 5 isn't going to get you perfect tone either. turn down your bass and adjust mids and treble. all these things work together to get good tone. it does take time to dial in so experiment.
1/16 of an inch? That's really, really close. . . . Try backing the pickup down. Also try some contact cleaner in the pickup switch in case you are getting a partial ground there.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by monwobobbo
what are your gain settings? If they are to high then you will get a muddy mess. also just setting all your tone controls to 5 isn't going to get you perfect tone either. turn down your bass and adjust mids and treble. all these things work together to get good tone. it does take time to dial in so experiment.
Quote by ltdguy27
When adjusting pickup height there's no right measurement. Use your ears and adjust until it sounds right to you.

After messing with different heights I was able to get a better sound, but it's still muddy and low powered. The reason I was cranking the gain was because I was trying to get as much power out of the tone as possible. But I did try turning it down some and it sounded worse I think, the same amount of muddiness just with less power. Messing with different EQs doesn't seem to help much. I have another guitar that sounded fine with the same amp on most EQ settings. Maybe I got a dud?
Quote by metalmingee
1/16 of an inch? That's really, really close. . . . Try backing the pickup down. Also try some contact cleaner in the pickup switch in case you are getting a partial ground there.

Contact cleaner fixed most of it but it's still a little bit muddy.
That's a pretty thin tone. That line of ESP seems to be pretty scooped and a little bass-y. I had an M-1000 that sounded better due, I think, to the alder body and EMG81. Unless they're some name brand, stock pickups are usually garbage. Try a better pickup, one more suited to mahogany.
Last edited by Anonden at Jul 19, 2016,
what amp model are you using? if another guitar sounds good then the guitar is most likely the issue perhaps you have a bad pickup connection. have you tried both pickups and getting the same results?
Quote by monwobobbo
what amp model are you using? if another guitar sounds good then the guitar is most likely the issue perhaps you have a bad pickup connection. have you tried both pickups and getting the same results?

Yeah, both pickups. I'm using a Peavey Vypyr 60 watt tube.
Quote by Anonden
That's a pretty thin tone. That line of ESP seems to be pretty scooped and a little bass-y. I had an M-1000 that sounded better due, I think, to the alder body and EMG81. Unless they're some name brand, stock pickups are usually garbage. Try a better pickup, one more suited to mahogany.

What would you recommend for classic thrash metal?
Quote by xcamero360
Yeah, both pickups. I'm using a Peavey Vypyr 60 watt tube.

What would you recommend for classic thrash metal?

I know what amp you said that in first post. what amp model as the vypyr 60 is a modeling amp so what amp setting are you using?
Quote by monwobobbo
I know what amp you said that in first post. what amp model as the vypyr 60 is a modeling amp so what amp setting are you using?

Oh ok, I like to switch between the JSX and 6505.monwobobbo
Quote by Anonden
^ this, and what kind of tone are you going for?

A thick, chunky, clean distortion.
Quote by xcamero360

A thick, chunky, clean distortion.

I know what I'd mean by that, but I don't know what you mean. I meant is there an example that's close?
Quote by Anonden
I know what I'd mean by that, but I don't know what you mean. I meant is there an example that's close?

Like the Ride The Lightning album by Metallica.
Yeah, I wouldn't have thought that. Listen to the beginning of Trapped Under Ice, at least one side is pretty trebly. Puppets was a bit heavier tone. They weren't using mahogany guitars, nor Peavey amps on either. A Duncan Distortion might get you there. A JB if you want a little less. DiMarzio I don't know - my experience is with a Tone Zone, which would be tubby as hell, at least without some serious pre-q bass cut.
Last edited by Anonden at Jul 20, 2016,
Quote by Anonden
Yeah, I wouldn't have thought that. Listen to the beginning of Trapped Under Ice, at least one side is pretty trebly. Puppets was a bit heavier tone. They weren't using mahogany guitars, nor Peavey amps on either. A Duncan Distortion might get you there. A JB if you want a little less. DiMarzio I don't know - my experience is with a Tone Zone, which would be tubby as hell, at least without some serious pre-q bass cut.

The Distortion sounds pretty good. Is it active?
xcamero360

not active. early Metallica tone is Marshall JCM 800 with a tubescreamer in front. the amp models you mentioned are more of a modern tone though the JSX can get it to a reasonable degree. you'll use less gain than you might think though.

have you tried plugging in your guitar to another amp to see if it still has issues? I'd worry about that before new pickups.
Yeah, I had one in a mahogany body RG520 some time ago. It was pretty decent, though seemed to have this upper-mid spike I didn't care for, but would probably work quite well for what you're wanting.

Quote by monwobobbo
xcamero360

have you tried plugging in your guitar to another amp to see if it still has issues? I'd worry about that before new pickups.

Yah, he said he tried a tube amp at a store, yo.
Last edited by Anonden at Jul 20, 2016,
maybe the switch or jack isn't making proper contact?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
1. Set your EQ right. No one way but a good rule of thumb I use is Bass 5, Mid 3, Trebble 7.
2. Get a tube screamer/ Overdrive
3. The pickups aren't that good in the guitar, take them out and replace them with these https://www.gak.co.uk/en/seymour-duncan-ahb-1-active-blackouts-set-bk/89443?gclid=CjwKEAjwiMe8BRD0ts3Vtv-ohWgSJAAZurk1b2byPWbsQYk0nmdkHKWeGaWobR-V_fJ-wk8ezZw1BRoCSdLw_wcB. It's not cheap but it will sound amazing and you can eBay your old ones to help with the cost.
Jesus, no don't get a peddle. It won't make your Vyper sound any better, and probably will make it sound worse. Also don't spend an assload on pick-ups, not that you probably have it. park isn't thinking.