Hello. I recently bought 2 sets of strings Power Slinky and Skinny Top Heavy Bottom. I want to go down to D standard , Drop C and maybe drop B. At first I thought of using the STHB for D standard and Drop C but isn't the 52 a bit too heavy for D ? I want to have nice tension ,not too much (to the point that I will need adjustments on the truss rod) but not too loose either. Should I use the 11-48 for D standard and drop C or the 10-52? Thanks in advance .
Last edited by mydoggylio6 at Jul 19, 2016,
What guitar are they going on? I personally use 10-52 strings in Eb, but I like a lot of tension in my low strings.

11-48 sounds like a good starting point for trying out a thicker string gauge, but I see no reason why a 52 would be too heavy for D/Drop C. If you're dropping down to B, though, I'd recommend moving up even further, maybe to a 56 (but you'd have to decide that for yourself based on how the 52 feels).
JDR3009 yes I forgot to mention the guitar ltd f10 . I thought it might be too heavy for D because it is a 52 and from what I heard people use them for drop C . it is my first time trying out 10-52s so I don't have any experience yet .
You know what you could do, seeing as how you already have the strings?

Try it yourself.

That being said, i use an 11-54 set for D standard and drop C on a 25" scale guitar, and its pretty good. Maybe even a bit to loose.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
You're gonna be fine. I've been using 10-52 for E standard/dropped D and Eb standard/dropped C# for years. String gauge is mainly a matter of preference.
I use 10-46 for my standard tuned guitars and and also for drop D, I use the beefy slinky 11-54 for my drop b flat tuning and it feels quite nice to me.
I'm the odd ball here. A lot of people use heavy gauge strings for Drop C, but I don't. I used to use Heavy Bottom Skinny Tops for Drop C, which work great, but since I have been playing more leads I switched to Hybrids which are 9-46. A lot of people are surprised when I tell them my string gauges, but it's really not that loose. Essentially, while Drop C sounds super low, honestly, the rest of the strings are only down one whole step. The 9s work well for me because bending with my middle finger is much easier. I'm not a heavy handed player anyways. However if I was going to Drop B, I wouldn't go any lighter than the heavy bottom skinny tops. It's all a matter of personal preference though. Some people prefer a lot of string tension. Others like a softer feel. As long as you are comfortable and can play in key with proper intonation, there really aren't any wrong answers.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
tsc86 Question . When you switched to 10-52s in E standard did you make any adjustments to the tross rod?
gonna be very difficult to do on the one guitar.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Nolasludge hmm. .. I used 10-46 in Drop C and they were quite loose. Maybe it was loose because they were tuned to E standard? I don't know but still I feel they are loose for me .
Quote by mydoggylio6
Hello. I recently bought 2 sets of strings Power Slinky and Skinny Top Heavy Bottom. I want to go down to D standard , Drop C and maybe drop B. At first I thought of using the STHB for D standard and Drop C but isn't the 52 a bit too heavy for D ? I want to have nice tension ,not too much (to the point that I will need adjustments on the truss rod) but not too loose either. Should I use the 11-48 for D standard and drop C or the 10-52? Thanks in advance .

that's how we do it .... standard D and drop C with 10-52's and 11/48 depending on guitar , I've used the 11/48 on drop C too with no problems as with the 10'52's in standard D no problems on 25 1/2 scale guitar
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Jul 19, 2016,
Fumble fingers I don't know what scale my guitar is I didn't measure it. So basically you did not have to make any adjustments on the truss rod ,right? No bow ? I'm asking just to be sure because 42 and 52 seem a bit too heavy for D to me
Last edited by mydoggylio6 at Jul 19, 2016,
my guitar shipped with 10's tuned standard E .... so tuning D standard with 11's didn't really change anything , 10-52's tuned drop C didn't seem to change anything either ..... but neck relief adjustment is something you should learn . in my climate the humid summers require a slight tweak .. as do cold dry winters require a small tweak , it never requires more than a 1/8th turn either way and it's easy once you know what to do
Fumble fingers Alright thanks ! The 42 didn't change anything on the A string ? Well that's nice . What should I use the 11-48 for then?
for drop b i use 11-56, you can try that. for d standard 10-52. if i was gonna drop to c id want a 54.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'm using right now stainless steel Power Slinky for D standard. They are good but a 50 low E is better. I wouldn't know what to do with Skinny Top Heavy Bottom, what a weird set.

I am planning on trying out drop C one of these days. I still have a bunch of Power Slinky sets around as well as GHS Boomers 11-50. I think I might just buy a bunch of 56 singles to replace the 50 from these sets, that should make for a relatively similar tension along all strings for drop C.

For drop B you'll probably have to go with 12s or more.

Most likely you'll have to adjust the truss rod at some point.
I use 10-52 for D Standard and very rarely some drop C on my Hellraiser w/ the Floyd, and have for 10 years. I love how that feels. Pretty much perfect, to my fingers. The 52 is a teeny bit loose all the way down to C, but I rarely bother with that anyway. D Standard like 95% of the time.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by dthmtl3
I'm using right now stainless steel Power Slinky for D standard. They are good but a 50 low E is better. I wouldn't know what to do with Skinny Top Heavy Bottom, what a weird set.

I like how they feel at D Standard. Compared to, say, a typical 10-46 set in E, the heavier low strings feel about the same, maybe a little tighter even, which is great for the palm mutes and chugs and stuff. But then the higher three strings are all the same gauge as a 10-46 set so, tuned a full step down from standard, they are light and very easy to bend and play fast. Personally, I think it's the perfect combo for both rhythm and lead playing.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
I use 10-52 all the time in standard down to drop C. But I suggest d'addario baritone lights 13-62 for drop B and Drop A.

On a Les Paul the 62 is a little loose for my taste in drop A but on fender scale guitars it's really nice. So drop B would be fine.

Unfortunatly no one gauge is good for all tunings.